Tattoo experiences, the good & bad!

I want to get a tattoo on my hip, and another on my rib,

how badly will it hurt? how intensely will I have to take care of it, is it worth it? and where is the best place to get it done?

Most Helpful Girl

• Do your research carefully and check out the studio and the artist before you go. I asked for recommendations from friends and looked for places that were approved by my local health unit. I spent about a good year doing research and kept the design around for that year to make sure that design was what I wanted. Pick an artist that does work in a style you like, I had to do some searching until I found what I wanted. Quality will cost you more but its worth it, as is travelling if you find an artist you really like. Great tattoos are not cheap and not done quickly either. If you are afraid of the pain, don't get one, if you have any doubts, don't get one.

I have one on my ribs, about 2” by 2”, took over an hour. The pain wasn't that bad, felt like a cat sinking its claws in a sunburn. I felt it the most on the less bony parts of my ribcage. They use two depths of needles, one longer for the outline (stings a bit more) and a shorter one for the shading. It was a bit tender for a few days. Also figure out where you carry your weight. Most hip tattoos will stretch at some point, ribs less likely so. Get an eyeliner and draw the rough sketch on before you decided to see if you even like the location. Henna works too.

After-care was simple, just time-consuming. No swimming until it is healed (2-3 weeks, they recommend waiting 8 weeks). You must never pick at the scab even when it itches like crazy. Wash and treat it carefully. If it's on your ribs and high enough, you can't wear an underwire bra for a few days. Follow the after-care steps from your artist religiously and its no issue. You might need touch-ups either shortly after it heals or a few years down the road, so realize that as well.

If you are questioning if it is worth it or not, don't do it. I love mine, it has meaning to me and it was worth every penny.

What Guys Said 3

• 1) Depends on the area of the body. The ribs will hurt like a bitch, the hip not as much.

2) Put sunscreen lotion on it when in the sun, other than that and the week or so following the tattoo where you have to baby it a little, not much else taking care of it.

3) Yes I find it worth it

4) Go to a reputable place, even if it is more money. It's gonna be there, probably forever, it's worth the extra cash.

• This is definitely the worst place to get opinions about tattoos. It's gonna hurt like a mother f***er. But if you do your research and get something you really like then it's totally worth the pain. And please for the love of all things sacred, don't get a tramp-stamp or some bullsh*t tribal crap. Be original. Be creative. Think outside the box. This is your chance to create something that nobody else has. Don't waste it on a f***ing butterfly that has "love" written in its wings. Hit me up if you wanna bounce some ideas off somebody. I've got a few tattoo ideas I could use some feedback on too.

• Definitely agree, work with the artist for something unique. I actually loved the artist's work and she spent a lot of time tweaking it just right. I gave her free rein on one part so I had no idea who it would look until it healed. Seconding the be creative!

• general tips

tattoos that are on areas with a lot of nerve endings and on boney areas hurt the most

don't be afraid to travel to a quality artist

placement depends on what the tattoo is and how it fits on your body

What Girls Said 7

• It's all about your personal pain tolerance. My sister and my best friend both have rib tattoos and were two totally different reactions to it. My sister nearly passed out from the pain while my best friend fell asleep. I too have been considering rib tattoos the I had no issue with the two on my shoulders, which I know is a completely different thing but I feel like it would be similar if I was to go my ribs.

I definitely would NOT get a rib tattoo as a first because you have no idea how you'll handle it, how your body will react, or how you will heal. I would suggest a less painful area first to gauge your tolerance for sitting still and the pain. There are charts online that tell you generally where is less and more painful.

link

• if you are asking if its worth it then I would say don't do it cause then you aren't sure, we who love tattoos and are willing to sit in the chair even thought we know it will feel a bit won't thing is it worth it. And the pain is different for different people some are more sensitive then others. And you will have to clean it and put cream on it so it won't get infected or dry out. The places to get it done is in a tattoo studio ofcourse and not in a friends living room by a friend of a friend that does tattoos on the side. You have to go around where you live and check out the studios see if they are clean chech tehir portfolios and see if they are doing good tattoo, ask question and see if you get a good feel about them

• All I know is to ask a friend or someone that does the type of design you're looking for but don't like walk in to your local ones unless its really well known or people have alsome tatts that you like.and I think they'll tell you how to take care of it I think you put vasaline as it heals

• I just my rib tattoo done a couple days ago and of course it was painful, but bearable. It feels like a cat scratching a sunburn. The aftercare is really important but it's nothing to really stress out about. I think it's all worth it if you find something that you really want, but don't just get one to get one.

• i have one on my hip and the hip area hurts like hell but the stomach part doesn't. mine took maybe 2-3 hours to get done and cost me $140. its a lily flower with words around it. the outling was the worse but the shading wasn't too bad for me. I do have a high pain tolerence so you might be different

• Don't get tatted

• Not worth it when you have kids