Girls: Who taught you to apply makeup?

My mother is highly against makeup and my workplace doesn't advocate it either. I'm going off to college and I'd like to wear at least a little bit of makeup every now and then.

I am allergic to a lot of makeup but I found some with the help of a friend and a nice lady at the store that works and doesn't cause a reaction. Who taught you how to apply makeup effectively? Where's a good place to learn?

I want to stick to a natural look. I have a few acne and other scars that it would be nice if I could minimize those. Suggestions?

Most Helpful Girl

• My mom tried to teach me, but her way of doing it never really appealed to me, especially when it came to eyeshadow. On top of that, I'm so pale by comparison to the rest of my family, she practically had to cake on foundation to make me a color that matched her set of makeup.

Looking back on it, it was some very clumsy trial and error on my part, but once I gained some momentum it was much better. I've taught my friends since then.

For your complexion, try a light layer of foundation that matches your skin tone as close as possible. Vitamin E helps fade scars, so you might consider that as a routine. Gently rub in a little vitamin E oil after washing your face at night and after a while it should make a difference. If you use concealer, go for something just a tad lighter than your skin tone. Smudge it a little around the edges so that it fades into your foundation color.

For cosmetic purposes, try waterproof mascara in a rich brown - it won't look as dramatic as black. If you want a little something more than that, I'd suggest eyeshadow instead of eyeliner next. See if you can find a compact with a few colors in shades of brown, once again near your skin tone, even better if you can find something that has a shimmery color and a matte color. The shimmer will be most natural if it blends into your skin. The matte will be suitable for creating a little more definition in your eye shape and should be darker than your skin tone.

Apply sheer shimmer on your top lids, not going much above the crease.

Apply darker matte in either the inside or outside corners of your top lids, not crossing the crease, and blend it so that it fades toward the middle of your eyelid.

Simple, pretty quick, and it won't be too much or look like a mess for your workplace.

• Thanks so much! I'm pale too, I found it hard to find a light enough foundation.

• My best match (that I discovered about a year ago) is Loreal's True Match in the lightest shade they have available. If you're not allergic to their products, it's a really great line with matching easy-to-blend, SPF 15 makeup.

A little bit of sun exposure also helped me fade my scars. Just a tiny bit of sun gave me a little more color. Just remember, a lot of sun with no protection will make scars appear worse.

What Guys Said 2

• Where do you work that doesn't allow makeup?

• In a barn. Sweat, mud and blood don't mix with makeup. Nobody cares what you look like as long as you do your job. I could wear it but really, who wants to get even earlier to apply it just to go work in a barn.

• I think I'm safe there... at 5'10" there's still a few guys taller than me.

• Yeah I know guys taller than you. You should be good.

I've been thinking and I like tall girls. I don't know why they don't get as much attention than other girls

• My aunty has taught my sisters.

What Girls Said 20

• YouTube taught me all the basics and now I am better than my mother and my sister at doing my makeup. People that I would suggest are emilynoel83 on yt, she not only reviews makeup but she explains the importance of certain products and dupes for higher end stuff. Honestly YouTube can help with a lot of tips on makeup. And since you have allergic reactions it would be best to go to ulta or sephora and talk to the representatives that work there they should be able to help when you have any questions over products

• My mom doesn't wear makeup, and I don't have any sisters, so there was no-one to teach me how to put it on. I taught myself after my cousins dragged me to the beautiful world of makeup and three years ago I started working as a sales consultant to Oriflame, where they taught me some makeup tips as well.

I did watch a lot of Youtube videos, but they didn't help me. My advice to you is to experiment and have fun doing it, just remember to wash your face, hands and brushes and change your pillowcase every week to avoid breaking out. :)

• Thanks, glad to know its possible to teach myself.

• My mother is quite the opposite, she WANTS me to wear make up.

I taught myself. You can just tell how they are applied by looking at it. What looks good and bad. The tone of the shades that would look best on you, etc,..

YouTube Make up Gurus.

You probably just need concealer and a light powder foundation OR light foundation cream. For the coverage.

Wash your face and remove make up with petroleum jelly. Apply coconut oil or bio oil at night daily to minimize the scars.

• Thanks! I'll have to try the coconut oil. Having visible scars doesn't help.

• No one. My cousin did my makeup for dances and whatnot, but other than those times, I rarely wear any. The most you'll see on me is mascara and eyeliner. I don't put foundation or anything else on. I would go to a store or watch videos to get help.

• I taught myself by watching makeup tutorials on YouTube, but my mom taught me a bit. I was also going at cosmetic shops(mac, makeup forever,clinique) and I would ask the makeup artist to show me how to apply it, which colors I should use for my skin color,etc. It helped a lot.

• My mother is also against makeup so I had to teach myself. At first I just sort of observed other girls' makeup on the street but then I quickly started looking for makeup books and shortly after that I discovered YouTube. I tried everything I saw or learned on myself and I think that is the key: experimenting!

You can do the same or, if you just want to learn how to do a natural look, you can actually schedule a makeover at a MAC counter or store for a fee that is redeemable in MAC products. The makeup artist will teach you what natural look works best at bringing out your features.

• mainly YouTube 'beauty gurus'

my favorites are:

kandeejohnson

ciaoobelllaxo

xolittlemisslaura

macbarbie

andreaschoice

arose186

lately I've been watching jaaackjack too

• I started experimenting with make up in 7th grade, didn't start wearing it 'til 8th I believe. My friends at school wore it and they taught me how to apply eyeliner then I tried it at home. My mom is actually really good with make up she taught me a bit, but I don't really like her make up style...the rest I learned by watching others.

• I definitely taught myself...but actually got the idea from my mother and my earlier childhood pageantry.

• I watched videos on YouTube and taught myself. I read a lot of magazines, and they'd have articles on which brands were good, what color blusher goes with your skin color etc. You could ask a friend to help you out :)

• I taught myself. I just played with it and figured what I like and what looks good for me. Plus what you don't know you'll be able to look it up on Youtube.

• No one I just watched my mom when I was litlte and knew how it was done well not a lot since she only wore lipstick but the rest was from books and tv

• I took a makeup class, it was fun. Then I see YouTube videos when I'm not sure how to do something else.

• My mom and my older cousin when I went over to her house when I was younger, I got my first lipgloss when I was thirteen from my mom it was Cotton Candy, I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to my makeup now I love trying out bold lip colors and different smoky eye looks but it was mostly taught to me by my older cousin and my mom

• I taught myself, and I also watched a lot of makeup tutorials on YouTube :)

• Myself

My sister

And YouTube videos, very very helpful

• Youtube

• Self taught

• trial & error haha

i stick to brown, beige, green, and a light pink as colors for my eyeshadow & I wear brown mascara too.

• I taught myself... and from watching my friends apply make up. I don't wear a lot, I like to keep it natural cause its better. Just don't put TOO much foundation cause then it might cause you to have cakey look! Apply eyeliner and mascara and a neutral eyeshadow ! Also, look for YouTube videos on how to apply make up! some help and give you new ideas! practice! :) Also, my face breaks out w. make up too... I use MAC makeup which does not make me break out, maybe it will help you too! My mac make up usually lasts me a very long time because I don't put a lot of make up everyday! I keep it minimal... when I put too much I look fake hahah !

• Thanks, MAC actually made me breakout more. I found Marcelle and it works. I'll have to do a search on Youtube.

• Lol aww ! sorry I thought mac would help ! it really depends on your skin. every one is different :)