What is with all the negativity towards tattoos?

On this site and out in the world when ever I see or hear anything having to do with tattoos it seems it is 90% of the time met with extreme negativity. Like tattoos make you instantly a criminal, slut, idiot, douche, or just trying to be cool. I just don't get why this is. Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind this prejudice? Tattoos don't make me any less respectful, hard working, or honest. I feel a lot of people think because you have tattoos your a lesser person.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people are just incredibly biased. I know many people with tattoos and none of them are criminals or sluts for having tattoos. I know a lady at my office that has a lovely flower tattooed on her arm, and it is very beautiful.

A lot of people like to judge too, it's easy to say something mean about someone who looks different than them.

The sad fact about life and society is that people will judge you for simply looking different than them. I was in the bathroom of a restaurant a couple weeks ago trying to get my nose ring back in after it came out when I blew my nose. I've had my nose pierced for a few years now and that's all I have as far as piercings go. It's just a small stud, but as I was in the bathroom this lady comes in with her granddaughter and started staring at me as I was trying to get my nose ring back in. My mom was with me and told her that my nose ring came out and I was trying to get it back in. Then the lady made a rude comment "You should just leave it out, I don't know why people do stuff like that" I could have and probably should have told the lady off. I am 23 years old and if I want to stick stuff in my nose I have that right, I paid for it. But she was just being ignorant. She continued to tell her granddaughter to never do stuff like that because it hurts, it's the worst pain in the world. When I got my nose done it didn't even hurt!

So I hope when that girl grows up she becomes the most tattooed, most pierced girl with crazy colored hair :) That'll teach her grandma to make ignorant comments!

The next time someone makes comments to you, try your best to ignore them, or even call them out on it. People can be so cruel sometimes and think that it's okay to make those kinds of generalizations.

Hopefully in the future people are more kind and less ignorant!

What Girls Said 15

• What is with all the negativity towards tattoos?

Stereotyping no different to me than stereotype that a nerd is a nice guy while the jock is a jerk a**hole.

Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind this prejudice?

Criminal: influence of gang and prison culture

Slut: perception that she ruined the beauty of her body with a tattoo thus likely she's ruining the chastity of her body as well, perception that nice gals don't have tattoos thus she's not a nice gal, or out of desire to have some way to identify 'easy' gals

Idiot: perception that tattoos are low-class and correlating low-class to low intelligence

Douche: perception that nice guys aren't tattooed thus that means he's not a nice guy or perception that to have a tattoo you must be tough and correlating tough to douche

Just trying to be cool: perception that those who get tattoos are just seeking attention

• I'll leave my personal opinion out of this, and try to answer this as factually as possible. I think the whole negative view of tattoos started way back when people were mostly christian/catholic, because of the verse Leviticus 19:28. The people who had tattoos back then were the sacrilegious people, so naturally they were seen as devil spawn. from there, the idea stuck, so when someone got a tattoo, even when it wasn't seen as quite as evil, it was considered rebellious. people got tattoos because they were looking for individuality. Now, it seems everyone is getting tattoos, and it is seen more like a race for conformity. quite a flip, but the older, more conservative folks still see them as rebellious, and many religious people still find it sinful.

• Maybe because a lot of inmates have tattoos that represent their gangculture. So that's not a good start. Another reason could be because so many girls/women have tattoos on their lower back that have absolutely no meaning, so there's the tramp stamp they'll regret within the year. A lot of people want a tattoo because other people have them and it makes them look badass.

That's what I think the reason is. I think tattoos are awesome and a piece of art on your body, it can be a representation of what the person has been through, where they get their strength from, a memory of a person/animal/event that meant a lot to them, ...

Plus I think they look great if it has meaning and if they're done good.

• Where I live.. in Canada...

its not the Tattoo's that say that..

its where they are.. how many.. what they are of.. the quality of them...

Guys:

High Quantity

Low Quality

Face/neck/hands

These all tend to make people think crime

Girls:

Tramp Stamp

Crotch/Boob placement

These tend to make people think slut

But other then that, its looked at as art.. and cool.. people like seeing them, showing them... talking about them...

I think a lot of this perception is from old people. Like, before the mid 80's.. only "Criminal's and Sluts" got tattoo's...

• I haven't gotten any negativity about my tattoo in real life. If I did, I wouldn't care because it's not my responsibility to make sure that MY body pleases anyone.

However I dislike it when some people get cheap scribble scrabble all over their body just so they can say that they're "tatted".

• Just on here. In real life I constantly get compliments on my sleeve, leg sleeve etc haha

• Yet there's still many tatto artists..

• I know, people are just judgmental like that. Personally, I love well done tattoos. I can't wait to get a few myself.

• in my humble opinion, I think guys with arm tattoos are incredibly sexy. it's even more sexier when it's on a guy that you wouldn't really expect to have one, like a really shy or a guy with nerdy interests.

• I think tattoos are fine. Just don't get them on your face and make sure you can cover them up with a long sleeve shirt if you wanna work. Tattoos on guys are kinda hot!

• Oh yes tattoos on the face is going too far for me. But I have seen some really good artwork done on the face. Not my cup-o-tea though.

• I agree. Tattoos on guys can be hot...just nothing from the neck up. Lol

• Seems no one likes art nowadays

• a good bit of people on this site. don't have sex, do drugs, or have tats. there nerds basically, they like to commiserate with each other so they can feel like there decisions are the right and only choices a person should make with there life. if your doing something different, then something is automatically wrong with you. judgy haters.

• I don't know I just don't like it... it's not my style... but of course tattoos don't make you a lesser person because some people do it because they consider it as a form of art.

• i have never noticed abnormal large amounts of prejudice but I think it is because lots of people get really stupid tattoos and many people at least where I am from spend hundreds of dollars on tattoos and hardly mean anything worht enough to put it on your body permanently but they do it instead of paying child support or properly taking care of themselves and their children. that is when it bothers me but I will never be disrespectful or prejudice, I just at the most may be annoyed

• That's just people making poor decisions. And it does frustrate me when I ask someone why they got their ink and they have no real story or meaning to it, but its their body not mine.

• i couldn't have put it better myself :-)

• I do think people with tattoos have them to get attention (why else would they do it?). That in itself says a lot about a person.

I also notice everyone who has a tattoo is a smoker or a drug addict.

• My little sister doesn't smoke or do drugs. She is on a full ride scholarship for soccer. Someone I work with has full sleeves and has never done either. I can name quite a few more. I do smoke cigarettes but that's it. These are the stereotypes I'm referring to.

I am no less of a person because I have tattoos. People don't go get tattoos walk out of the parlor and say "wow I need some heroin now"

• @lool and QA: what frail responses. I see I have maxed your limited capacity. You're done. You're stupid and have proved it. Goodbye. I'm done here dealing with retards.

• I am far from maxed out, and I feel this debate is far from over.

What Guys Said 10

• First of all, I like a nice tattoo and maybe would even take one myself at some point, so don't shoot the messenger.

Tattoos are a statement. In some way you are saying: I don't care what others think, I did this for me. You are going to be stuck with it your entire life and stand by that. It is the pinnacle of an opinion, an extreme. Tattoos represent extreme love, extreme hate, extreme admiration. This will always be a reason for others to judge you.

I like my country, but a tattoo of my flag would make me think a person was a fanatic, maybe even hating foreigners. I like monogamy, but a tattoo of ones partner makes me think they are either naive or desperate or obsessed. I like flowers or funny tribal looking shapes, but a tattoo like that makes me think that that person is shallow and unoriginal.

You are wearing your heart on your sleeve with a tattoo and people don't like strong opinions or strong personalities, so they will treat you differently.

Don't kid yourself though, we all do it.

• I don't mind them, but I can tell you that old rich white people don't approve of them. Unless its your regimental tattoo.

Traditionally they were not exactly something that middle or upper class people had.

Its changing quickly I suppose, but attitudes persist.

• Having tattoos/piercings/etc used to make it extremely difficult to get a white-collar job, which meant that people with tattoos were typically from the lower / criminal classes (plus tattoos were commonly used to show gang affiliation etc).

Because of that, middle-class people started getting tattoos in order to appear rebellious.

Nowadays, tattoos are so mainstream that having one is about as rebellious as wearing a pair of jeans from The Gap - and so they are no longer "edgy" or cool (you may as well go buy yourself a Justin Bieber t-shirt to go with those Gap jeans).

• I'm not worried about being edgy or rebellious. I worry about being myself. I get my tattoos because they mean something to me.

• Well, fine if they mean something - but when it's a butterfly on a girls neck, or something like that... :(

• I don't think someone with tattoos are disrespectful or dishonest.

However, a lot of the tattoo culture originated in prison. Once you get a tat in prison it's kind of like a respect thing...it lets others of your creed know you were locked up.

When I see people get them and flash them in public it is a cry for attention. I mean people say "This is for my bro or mom or friend", but there are other ways to remember someone.

I mean face it, it is trendy.

I won't lie to you though, if I had to hire someone who was tattoo-less vs. tats, I would hire the clean skin.

• +1 to all of this. Especially tats being a cry for attention. Kinda hey! Look at me I am cool I have a tat. Lol.

I'd also hire the tatless candidate.

• a sensible amount of original inkwork, and original placement of it can be interesting. cliche things, like tramp stamps, make my skin crawl.

• I'm not negative towards tattoos, they're just not my personal style.

However you do have to keep in mind the caliber of people that use this site, when you see the conclusions they come up with based off things such as tattoos

• I don't know... hepatitis B? Hep C? HIV? Socioeconomic connotations?

• Anyone has the right to do as they wish but that in no way means that I have to date them. Personally I think they are ugly as hell.

• Because only hood rats and hippies get tattoos.

• Most people I know with tattoos are less honest and make less money.