Short hair is unsexy? Why?

I've always had rather long and also full hair it reaches to my waist. I want to get short hair., kinda like Rihanna. I also want to dye it dark brown or black (I'm naturally blonde)

Well one of my best friends said "what? you can't do that. Short hair on women is unsexy in a totally unfeminine, aggressive way. Now you look great, don't go shorter than shoulder length. Have you ever wondered why strippers always have long hair - because men are attracted to it"

Really? That bad?

Why does short hair come across as aggressive?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would rather date a fat girl with long hair over a girl with a great body with short hair. I don't know why but long hair is just something that is really important to me. Most guys like long hair on a girl a lot more than they do short hair.

If you cut your hair most guys will be less attracted to you. That is not to say that it will make finding a man impossible, but it will be a factor. I don't believe that it comes off as aggressive, but it tells me that you are not as interested in finding a man as you might be.

What Guys Said 14

• Actually I find girls with shaved heads and bald very...excuse my french bit, f***able. Strippers have long hair (for the most part, there are a lot that do not) becuase that is the image of the big chested dumb blond on a pole.

It would depend on the girl. Heavier girls do not look as good (physically or sexually) with short short hair.

• Your friend is partially right. Most men do prefer longer hair and few women can pull off the short hair do. I wouldn't put it as crudely as your friend but simply put, yes, it has to do with the fact that short hair seems masculine. Long hair is feminine. At least by our modern societal standards. Pretty much as simple as that.

• I like hair on the longer side. I like it to be at least shoulder length.

I can't really explain it. Maybe I do find it sexier. Short hair seems to go with old ladies in their 40's.

I do think that all girls seem to go with short hair for a period of time. I guess they just want a change & it's easier to keep?

• In our culture, short hair is a masculine style. Hippies had long hair. Look at Clint Eastwood's characters, the Marshall Raylan Givens in Justified, Sam Worthington's action characters, Jason Bourne, James Bond, Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man (Thor with his long hair is an exception, as he's Norse) but overall, men have short hair.

And overall, women have longer hair. Is feminine, and it's attractive in most cases. (Not if it has knots or is all greasy...) Women just look more attractive with longer hair. Look at Alexandra Daddario (model who played Annabeth Chase) and look at how Emma Watson was for years, when she became beloved by many movie watchers. Then she cut her hair, and you girls will say it's awesome, but guys liked her with her Hermione hair--long. Look at more masculine women--Trinity from Matrix, Black Widow from Avengers, all that. Shorter hair.

So keep your hair at least shoulder length. :)

• it depends on how short.

too short comes off very "butch"

As long as its not that short, but shorter than midneck or shoulder, you give off more of a playful vibe. long hair is sexual. it makes men think of promiscuity. the shorter it gets, the less likely you are to take breathes away.

That being said, some men just plain find shorter hair attractive.

Most however find longer hair more "sexy"

• Bobs can be sexy, but shorter then that, no.

We're culturally conditioned as kids to think of women as having long hair.

• Short hair is very sexy, especially if the girl has a pretty face to show off. Short hair, especially in a radical or wild style like I've seen a lot in recent years, actually looks very feminine but in an edgy kind of way, and I like that. This is something that not all guys share the same opinion on, but there are guys, and I know I'm not the only one, who finds short hair a turn on (it's not a strong preference, though). For example, I really like Michaela Paige's sexy hairstyle.

• Yes, I totally agree your friend, most strippers have really long hair and I find them attractive, some of them, just for it. I have a preference for girls who always have long hair, not only for their hair, also for their attitude. You said you have always had rather long hair and you would be one of my favourite girls if you didn't want to cut your hair short and dye it. I will lose interest in any girl who have natural blonde long hair to her waist, cuts it short and dye it. I would be really disappointed if I had a girlfriend who does something like that.

The attitude of a girl of having always long hair turns me on, because it seems like she considers her long hair as a part of her identity. But the attitude of a girls who wants to lose this part of her identity ever if she becomes uglier is a real turn off. It is almost impossible that I keep interest in a girl who do something like that.

• Your friend is completely right.

• Errrm . Don't see it myself unless you have it shaved all over.

• Because it's boyish, and women tell other women to cut it so they step up the game. Keep it long ladies! If a man has to look good for you, why not look good for him? And waist length like you have is about as sexy as you can go. Sure you can grow it back, but do you know how long THAT WILL TAKE?

• Nah, I definitely think it can be sexy.

• You friend is right, probably because hair that short is to manly looking. Why dye it?

• well everyone always say I look cute and innocent with long blond hair and it gets annoying

• Cute and innocent is nice.

• Short hair is fine. Is just that longer hair is a little more sexy but guys are almost always willing to overlook that. Would much rather she have pubic hair than long hair on her head.

What Girls Said 10

• Sounds really extreme. Why do you want to change your appearance so drastically? Making your hair the opposite of how it looks probably won't look good on you.

If you need a change, then get some lowlights and some subtle layers.

Has something happened in your life recently to make you want to change? How do you feel about yourself?

Don't do something drastic that you will regret. Figure out the underlying reasons and work on those instead. Your hair sounds beautiful and it takes a long time to grow out dyed, short hair.

• im a girl with a pixie cut and I feel like I should chip in here an say, my hair used to me down to my waist all throughout high school an it just didn't suit me , then I cut it into an a line bob and a few days later I got asked on a date by a guy , he said he noticed my new hair cut and LOVED it.

its just hair, if you cut it off it grows back. its magical like that lol so GO FOR IT. I've had it past my waist, medium, and a bob, an now its emma watson short. (who is beautiful and sexy )an all the lengths in between. and its really just a hair cut.

an if a guy donest like you because your hair is the way you like it, then he didn't like you for the right reasons.

and on a separate note a bout hair, short healthy hair is way more beautiful than long damaged hair. as long as your locks are well taken care of then your on the right track.

• I would not go from blond to black because that's super extreme and your eyebrows will look dumb.

It's really hard to pull off short hair, and it's gotten a bad rep over the years. I mean, look how Miley Cyrus's hair turned out. It depends on how you get it, a lot of times it can be portrayed as a boy haircut and guys will make the assumption that you are a lesbian.

Here's the thing though. If you want it, do it. If you have long hair I would slowly get shorter, first cut it to shoulder, and go up from there. That way you can make sure it is something you truly want and it won't be such an extreme change for everyone around you.

• i would believe it comes off less feminine and for guys who like long hair it would be a turn off or those who like to have something to pull on during sex.

• I think it looks edgy and it can be sexy if she has sex appeal otherwise it looks boyish or cute

• I think short hair can be super sexy.

• I know some guys who love short hair. They think that it makes a girl look confident and unique. Everyone has their own taste so don't worry too much about whether or not others think it's sexy, just make sure to get a haircut that you like

• THANK YOU! I'm glad some girls recognize that guys like myself exist. To me, long hair just looks ordinary on women, as in it's just there, not bad or good, just simply there (I apologize to anyone I might offend with that statement, but it's just my perspective and opinion), while short hair seems more dynamic. I see way more variation with short hairstyles than with long, and so many short hairstyles have an edgy sexy look to them, I love how it flaunts the girl's face.

• It doesn't flow or blow in the wind..but its cute

• If you're having a certain hairstyle for the purpose of attracting guys then yeah, don't cut it short. You might think those styles look good, even medium length ones but as soon as a girl with waist length hair comes out, people are going to be looking at her. :P It's more sensual, flows over all the right parts and draws the attention to those places.

Aggressive - Our appearance tells us a lot about peoples' personalities. Usually the shorter (in extremes) it is the tougher the person looks, it's more of a manly appearance. Those shorter styles usually show that that girl has a bold personality so in that sense it could be seen as aggressive/daring/rebellious.

• Not all guys are the same. I know I'm in the minority but I prefer short hair on women. As odd as it probably sounds, 99% of the women whose hairstyles I find sexy and compliment have shorter hair than I do.

• mmmm, I've never thought of it as coming off as aggressive, but you're right, women with short trendy hairstyles probably are pretty confident in themselves and it could give off the impression that you're strong and independent and don't need a man.

but there is als a genetic reason why guys prefer long hair. long healthy hair is an indication of health, fertility, and breeding. why do you think historically (think ladies of the Renaissance era) in most cultures, women kept their hair as long as possible? because if you were a poor woman who frequently got head lice and/or you didn't have the greatest immune system, then you would have to cut your hair. It shows that you don't come from a family of social status and were poor and/or you are frequently ill, which would interfere with your capacity to produce healthy offspring, which back then was pretty much the sole purpose women were given.

so yeah, most guys are programmed to prefer long hair on a woman simply because they have been programmed to see it as an indication of vitality. but times have changed, thanks to great advancements in technology, we don't really have to cut off our hair if we ever get lice and many congenital conditions that would provoke hair loss are treatable...hair as a sign of vitality is outdated but human instinct can't be updated that quickly.