How much does getting a tattoo hurt?

And where is the least painful spot on your body to get one? I want to get just a small tattoo, nothing major, but I am not fond of pain. Opinions please?

Most Helpful Girl

• I got one on the inner side of my foot, and afterward people were telling me that it's one of the most painful places to get one, but even so, it wasn't THAT bad and I don't think I have high pain tolerance or anything. It hurts but it doesn't last very long. I just looked away and made lots of cringy faces :P

Apparently it's least painful to get a tattoo somewhere with a lot of fat under the skin rather than bone - calves, thighs (except for inner where the skin is sensitive), arms, back (away from the spine), etc.

What Guys Said 8

• Yes, there is pain from it. Suggest avoiding getting one. Cops call them tramp stamps and with good reason. It may be fashionable now and the "in thing" to do, but you may regret it later...and it's more painful to remove a tattoo. Other considerations: the possibility of getting an infection or getting a disease is very high when getting a tattoo. The "artist" is piercing your skin with dies/inks that may cause a rash or an allergy...not to mention that most rarely have sterile environments when doing the work. It's just not worth your health to get one.

• Oh I was just wanting to get a religious one. I'm Catholic...plus I wanted to put it where it is not easily seen. Thank you for that information though :)

• Actually if you choose a good shop the risk of contracting a disease is about as high as contracting one from going to the dentist. A shop backed by the health department has to go by stricked guidelines to ensure a sterile environment or at least that's how it works where I am from.

• I can't tell you how much it will hurt for you. For alL I know, you could be a baby about it, or a crazy bitch who laughs. By "bitch" I mean the women who don't even notice it. I've seen guys who were 6'2 and all muscle pass out at the sight of their own blood.They come in acting all tough and bam done. I got all five of mine done by the same guy, it didn't bug me. The spine and center of the chest felt like a dagger/knife going into my back/chest. The rest wasn't to bad. It -the pain-usually progresses as the tattoo gets bigger (depending on size). like a domino effect, it multiplies a bit by bit. The ones that are 3-4 hours in length are trying on a person. But I managed, I think other people could to. The real test is not scratching the scab so your ink isn't messed up.

• I had one down on my shoulder, 4 straight hours and can honestly say the last hr was the toughest part of the ordeal. If your getting something small you should have no problem

• yeah same way for my 3 1/2 hour one.. last 30 minutes was a bugger.

• Advice: don't get a tattoo in the 1st place

• put a hand on the table, then grab a fork and then throw it down with all of your force over your hand.

• LMAO.. didn't bug me that much. Then again I probably would do that XD

• i would say on your arm like your shoulder, or a calf. skin tends to be thicker in those areas.

• The bottom of your heel, but it wouldn't get noticed that much. What do you think of religious jewelry instead of a tattoo? God bless you sister.

• The first time hurts the most, since you don't really know how it feels. But I'd agree that where there's more thicker skin, it would hurt less.

• Idk, first one I got didn't bug me that much, took 30mins.

What Girls Said 9

• I have 3. One above my ankle, one between my shoulder blades and one on my wrist. I didn't really have pain with any of them, it was more like a scratching feeling. The one on my back felt a little weird when she tattooed over my spine, but that was only because I could feel the vibrations of the tattoo needle(I swear my ear drums were vibrating). Most people will tell you that the least painful spots are the meatier areas of the body.

• The outline was the most painful part for me. At it's worst it felt like someone was dragging a knife lightly across my skin. That might have been because it was so close to my spine. The shading wasn't bad at all though so what I'm saying is that it hurts less over time because once the outline is done the worst is over. You may tense up a bit to start but you'll calm down as you get used to it and the discomfort will decrease.

• Do you have high pain tolerance? I have only one, and it's on the back of my right shoulder. That didn't hurt hardly at all. Not near as bad as I thought it would be. Just remember to stay still and hold onto something. You will be fine. Bring a friend.

• I think the back hurts the least since its closer to your bones and nota bunch of skin/fat so I think the butt might hurt a lot.or maybe its the opposite?but if your skin gets sensitive because of pms then I wouldn't suggest getting one around that time.

• I know by rib cage hurts the most, and triceps. My brother has tattoos there and he said it hurt the most out of other tattoos.

• I think it depends what part of the body you get it on. For me I have one on my lower back and it didn't hurt that much

• I remember my mom saying she was sweating in the chair from the pain and my one friend got one on her wrist... on the pictures she showed us you could tell she had started to cry XD

• See, I just don't want to start and then not be able to finish going through it.

• I think thought of "it would look lame if I have a half done tattoo" is what got my friend through XD

• i want to know as well. I want to get one right above my pelvis.

• For me it was like a cat sinking its claws in a sunburn. Not really bad, I have a high pain tolerance. Mine is on my ribs which they say hurts the most. If you are worried about the pain, don't get one.