Is a healthy BMI always attractive and is it unattractive if it's outside of the healthy range?

judging the body only obviouly.

I'm asking partly for me and partly for my friend. She has BMI of 24,2 (5'6/ 150 lbs) so that's on the upper end on what's considered healthy, but she feels way too fat. She doesn't feel attractive at all but if you have an healthy BMI shouldn't that mean you're also at an attractive weight, even if you have average muscle mass?

She is very pretty by the way, I don't think she is unattractive at all.

Now I have an BMI of 17,7 (5'4/103 lbs) so a bit underweight, is that unattractive? Does that look unhealhty, because it would categorized as unhealthy

Most Helpful Guy

• BMI doesn't tell you anything unless you also tell us how fit you are, your muscle mass and such things.

But if we're talking about people with no extra muscle tone beyond a lazy life, the BMI scale normal zone is just that - the normal healthy zone. Under it you're starting to look scrawny, over it you're starting to look pudgy. But there aren't any sharp limits. You'll have to take each individual into account.

That being said, my preference is for the top of the normal healthy BMI range, in general.

• well we both used to do gymnastics quite competetivley until a few years ago. oddly she gained weight after we quit and I lost a lot.

Now we both work out 4 -5 times a week, but mostly cardio or yoga, so nothing that would build a lot of muscle mass, so I would assume we're both average in that area

• Well, that would be average for people who actually do something. For the vast majority of people who never work out, you're really fit then.

What Guys Said 5

• Numbers and Statistics only adds a small amount to your attraction scale.

The most important thing that determines what is attractive or not is the HUMAN EYE.

A healthy person can still be unattractive, while an unhealthy person can be attractive.

For example me, My diet when I was a teenager was crap, talk about Mc Donalds. But I stayed the same weight and I looked physically the same. I had abs and yes I was unhealthy because I felt the symptoms an obese person would experience. but everything changed when I joined the military.

• to be perfectly honest the BMI scale is flawed. for some people of certain build types going into the healthy range of the BMI scale would actually be unhealthy for them.

• There's more to it than heigh/weight ratio. Personally, I'm a sucker for a pretty face and smile. I've dated girls of different shapes and sizes because I was attracted by something more abstract, but still visual, like confidence.

• yes, it's always attractive.

• I think BMI of 24 is v. different apperance wise to BMI of 17 - remember BMI is height divided by weight squared - so even BMI of one makes a lot of physical difference. Also, as you point out, BMI does not take into account much muscle you have. So the more fat you have the more inaccurate it becomes. But apperance is half psychological also - if you don't feel attractive it's pretty hard for others to convince you otherwise.

Now, a BMI of 17.7 is getting a bit low... I think you'd look a bit gaunt, and a bit too skeletal. Also, it would put your body under a lot of physical stress long term like osteoporosis, nutritional problems, electrolyte problems. I personally think when you look that thin, you start looking like you've been used and abused.

• But yeah to answer your question, even though BMI 24 is not overweight clinically, you'd be starting to look a bit full around the waist (if not already centrally obese). I think aesthetically ideal weight is around 20-21, all else being equal. But I am talking normal social standards. If you going for a supermodel look I can't say for sure.

What Girls Said 3

• Well that's not always a good judgment, what is usually more inclined to show attractiveness is fat percentage and body shape rather than weight alone. Like someone who is 5 '4' and 125 lbs that has an hourglass shape is going to be considered more attractive (body wise) than someone the same size with an apple shape. It can be difficult and near impossible to really control body shape though. And BMI cannot always be a good way to judge if someone is healthy or not and definitely can't be an indicator for attractiveness. As long as the person is exercising and eating healthy they should be on a good track, so being slightly above or below shouldn't matter if you are being healthy, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your friend just has low self-esteem, try helping her boost her confidence. If she wants to lose weight she can but make sure she's being healthy about it and support her...try dolling her up for a party or something, let her know there's so much more to beauty than what the scale says.

• To be honest, no one can really tell exactly what your BMI is by looking at you. So I wouldn't use that as a sole factor for attractiveness.

The best thing you can do is be at the right weight for you, it doesn't have to be within the 'normal' range that BMI says. Some people can't be small enough or big enough to be in the 'normal' range.

• BMI can't tell you sh*t about attractiveness OR health, to be honest.

This guy is almost technically obese: link