What's worse, getting tons of attention because of your looks, or no attention because of your looks?

Mainly for girls, but guys can answer too. which do you think is worse, and which would you rather deal with if you HAD to choose?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say getting no attention is worse. If I never received a compliment about my appearance I'd be down in the dumps because for me physical appearance is important. That would sorta mean that people didn't think I was attractive. Others couldn't care less about these things but coming from someone who has Body Dysmorphic Disorder, looks are quite far up on the priority list for me. I'm not ashamed to say that and it is important to me. If I sound conceited or arrogant then that couldn't be further away from the truth. I have a very low self esteem and if I can tell you how many times I've cried about how I look you'd know I'm not in the least bit conceited.

What Girls Said 12

• That's difficult because there are pros and cons for each extreme...

Who doesn't like attention, but at the same time its hard to find someone who is genuine. Its hard not getting any attention because then you start to feel self conscious and wonder what is wrong with you, but at the same time if someone does take that time to get to know you, you know they are most likely genuine.

I think I personally would rather get no attention for my looks, I truly do get sick of how important they are to people. Yeah I know there has to be some physical attraction, but its just way to important to some people. (Not everyone, I'm not generalizing.)

• I believe getting no attention would be worse. Most girls are flattered by compliments even if it's over and over again. I know how it feels to be on both sides of the fence. When I was younger I got no attention...ever. Now that I'm older I get a compliment almost every other day.

• What's worse, getting tons of attention because of your looks, or no attention because of your looks?

Depends on the attention.

Seems like for a heterosexual gal the attention is mostly negative ala sexual assault, sexual harassment, street harassment, and violent reactions by guys when they're rejected all of which is brushed off as a compliment/minor problem so I'd prefer to get no attention because of my looks.

• I doubt that.

But I guess you'll find out one day.

• I'm sure its a huge pain in the ass, but it also gives you options - and I believe in your case, a job.

• @kheserthorpe

For me most of those options are sexual assault, sexual harassment, street harassment, and violent reactions while being told how I should take it as a compliment and appreciate it because one day I'll get old and miss it.

I prefer the option of less sexual assault/harassment and interacting only with guys I'm interested in.

Where did you get that belief? Excluding modeling I got my jobs from networking & volunteering not from guys giving me attention because of my looks.

• Id rather have none. I got too much attention growing up, it was good for my confidence ill admit but it made me so shy I won't even make eye contact with people. It makes you so self conscious and it effected my friendships and how people treated me. Eventually you get so tired of getting approached by people and guys trying to get you just so that you can be their trophy girlfriend and their arm candy. Its harder to know who likes you genuinely for your personality.

• when it comes to being hit on/asked out I don't like them to mention my looks as I find it cheesy and it makes me cringe and think that guy is superficial, guys always compliment my looks and it bores me, when a guy points out my qualities and says he'd like to date me cos I'm special then lists afew reasons that aren't superficial but then may add that I'm pretty, then that's cool. when it comes to having a boyfriend, if I'm feeling low then I would like him to cheer me up by complimenting my appearance. it all depends on the situation for me and all girls are different but persoanally I couldn't date a superficial guy because I would be thinking the whole time that he is looking for something prettier

• It's worse getting lots of attention because of your looks, it makes you either conceited or self-conscious

• I would rather have to deal with no-attention.

I like to have my space and hate to be treated like a piece of meat (like some guys treat me around here)

• Tons of attention

• No attention.because after having a dry spell of having no guys hit on me as they use to I goot a complex.now I think its becausse of how a wear my hair

• You know, sometimes I am convinced that the more average looking girls are approached and complimented more often than legitimately pretty/beautiful girls...so I don't know. Sometimes I don't really like it when I get compliments or get approached by a guy.

• I think getting no attention because of your looks is worse.

• No attention is worse.

What Guys Said 9

• personally idc about my looks I get the attention anyway if I just get outta bed with a wrong type of clothes on I do get dirty looks from people and it makes a big diffrence then when I groom myself and shower in the morning

But yeah I went swimming last Sunday then I went to a terrace with 2 friends of mine and u.was having fun with them including the waiter I even made a few jokes when he brought the drinks making him laugh after that I had attention with looking people our way as if they where trying to join in

It just depends on what you do as a guy to get attention from people, the looks is just helping you to get positive reactions and respect

So I go with the looks here

• No attention is totally worse. If you are good-looking and get "too much attention", you can easily tone yourself down to look worse. If you look bad from the start, you don't get the option to choose like this.

• Unless you're in prison, obviously, no attention is worse.

You know how many older women I've heard talk about how liberating it is that nobody looks at them or hits on them any more?

Zero.

• I'd rather get too much attention than no attention.

Getting NO attention at all is too saddening. :(

• No attention. Getting too much attention builds self-esteem. Getting no attention destroys it.

Pretty obvious answer actually.

• It varies. On one hand, you would get a lot of attention just because of how 'hot' you look to the point to where it becomes unwanted attention. On the other hand, you may not get any attention because of the way you look, and it can and will cripple any self-esteem if you let it.

• Female attention is the worst. They're always screaming, ripping your clothes off, and fainting all over the place.

• id rather get no attention and that is what I get so it works for me lol

• lot of attention because of your looks just makes you feel like a piece of meat. It's like they don't even care who you are, they just want to use you.