Crossdressing: Why are male crossdressers looked down upon? D:

Now I'm not a crossdresser myself (I'm a gentleman so the furthest I will go are a pair of tights and silk gloves that reach my elbows), but something that has bugged me for a while is why the ladies can casually wear what is considered as male clothing without criticism, while men aren't allowed to wear female clothing at all without frowns and crying Native Americans D:

What in the buggery is goin' on 'ere!? :O

Most Helpful Guy

• K, it's just wrong dude. I mean, I tolerate it and all, but you asked so I'm going to answer...despite the nasty comments I'll get and the downvotes and everything else.

Like, do you really need to ask, really? Hate to answer a question with another question but how in the hell does doing such things inspire you to think "Gee, I wonder why people think this is strange?".

PLEASE REMEMBER, I am not looking to start a war here...just trying to understand where you're head's at when you put girl's clothes on.

• Worry not, I respect your opinion matey :P

But really, if it's wrong for a bloke to wear womens clothing, why isn't it wrong for a woman to wear mens clothing? D:

• I guess they do get some more forgiveness there. Not sure why. Got me stumped on that one.

• We need to dig deeper for answers! :O

What Girls Said 6

• Women used to be criticized for it too. I remember my granny talking about it when I was a kid, she used to wear pants as a young girl and all the old ladies in her town were saying things like: "She has no shame!" or "what is the world coming too? "... LOL. It has just become acceptable since then.

I think people look down on men who show feminine traits in general, so wearing women's clothes is a part of that mindset. I have no problem with it. It's just clothes. Some men look good in dresses.

• It's different. I don't care if a guy cross dresses, it makes me curious though. I always wonder why, when, where'd he get those clothes (for guys in places where it's less tolerated), is he a model, is he gay, does he like girls, does he want to be a girl, is he doing it for fun, why are his legs so nice? etc

• The last one prompted a giggle :P

• I am a crossdresser and I have to admit that it is a in a great part a sexual thing.

I started by wearing sexy underwear. bra, panties, stockings and garterbelt. I found I was so turned on it almost became an addiction.

I later became friends with 2 girls who were bi and very open minded. So easy to talk to they were the first ones I ever told.

They wanted to see me "dressed" and helped me with makeup etc. It was great fun for them and me but must admit I was very turned on by it sexually.

• I think it's because girls can cross dress casually and guys can't. A feminine wardrobe is usually more complicated than a masculine one. Plus, girls do a lot more with hair and makeup than guys do. This causes crossdressing girls to wear no makeup and crossdressing guys to wear way too much to hide their masculinity.

• But there's still hope in trying! *Smiley faces and love hearts bounce in from nowhere*

Dear lord, did I just say something that disgusting? D:

• I know, I was just kidding. Though I must admit it's weird to see a guy who is not involved with these types of things be curious about them.

• Gotta stay awake somehow :P

• First of all crossdressing is simply wearing something generally accepted as something the opposite gender would wear. Yes it is more accepted for girls to crossdress but it is becoming more accepted for men. I think in 10 years it won’t nearly be as bid of a deal as it is today.

• TheBritishLad is just too funny:)

• Why would a man want to look like a woman anyway , That's just weird .

What Guys Said 5

• Females fought for equal rights, and part of their campaign at one point was wearing male clothing, which they were looked down on for, but after the women's rights movement, it started becoming a sort of trend for females to wear men clothing. Men never really had to really fight for rights equal to women, since they already had more rights, but due to that men wearing female clothing stayed as a negative thing.

In my opinion, people can wear what they want (in places where appropriate) despite gender. I mean, I've even seen some guys who look better in certain "female" clothing than any female I've seen wearing the same.

• Suddenly we'll have men standing outside Parliament, burning their jockstraps for male rights xD

• same reason why people look down upon homosexuality

they consider it strange, unnatural, uncommon, feminine

• I wear about 50% female clothing... No ones ever even commented on it. Most people don't really realise.

• Im with you man I love to slide into some silky sheer pantyhose with a nighty and heels very sexy. Im. Straight btw

• Because girl can be/do gay things but guys can't. Two girls kiss and it's hot. Two guys kiss and it makes you wanna throw up. same deal.