What should I wear for business casual?

So I'm having dinner at a restaurant and it said it was business casual...and I googled that and it said a nice collared shirt with dress pants or cakies. My girlfriend said it means a suit...what do you think I should wear. I don't own a suit by the way lol

thanks everyone you put my mind at ease lol. Just going to pick out a nice colared shirt with slacks and dress shoes.
I know what I am wearing now. Basicalling wearing a suit without a vest or coat. Wearing a tie incase I can always take it off later. Thx for your input

Most Helpful Guy

• Collared shirt. No tie. Shirt should be plain but clean and pressed / ironed.

Slacks, or dress pants also good. They should match the shirt. Jeans are a definite no-no.

Wear a smart clean pair of shoes. No trainers.

A suit is not necessary, though in some places "Business casual" means "A suit with no tie"

What Girls Said 4

• Business casual is NOT a suit. It's like a nice polo shirt or button down with slacks.

link

scroll down to "for men"

• Business casual is like some Dockers slacks and a button down shirt or a Polo with some dress shoes

• Dress shirt and jeans or black pants that aren't slacks

• Business casual = dress slacks and a nicer button down shirt with a collar. It wouldn't hurt to buy a pair of nice fitting black slacks -- they are always a good staple.

link

• Oh yeah, and like the guy said below -- NO tennis shoes. I'd stear clear of wearing khakis if this is employment related. I feel that they make a girls and guys look young and awkward -- like they're "dressed up" for the high school awards banquet.

What Guys Said 5

• She's wrong though. A suit is in no way casual, not even business casual.

A nice collared button down dress shirt, a good pair of pants and dress shoes. Basically the kind of outfit you'd wear if going to a fancy restaurant or a club with a dress code.

• Everyone has got most of it already but I'll give you some of my input. Definitely shirt tucked in. Wear a belt also. I also consider short sleeved shirts as casual, as long as it looks nice with a collar and isn't some crazy design. I'm not sure if you know these people or not, but your girlfriend could be right. Business casual is kind of generic term and can mean many different things depending on the people and place. I know at my work I can get away with wearing jeans, but other places could be, as someone mentioned, just a suit without a tie. Just go off of what you have seen them previously wear and dress as nice or nicer than the best dressed guy.

• Business casual is exactly what you said...dressy collared shirt and slacks/khakis, dress shoes.

Pretty much no suit, no tie, no dress jacket. Otherwise you'll be overdressed and you don't want that!

P.S. The "business casual" look, but casual sneakers for dress shoes, is how I dress when I go out to parties/bars/clubs. :)

• Yes, girlfriend is right, surprise surprise! It means a suit, maybe without a tie, at least a sport coat with slacks.

• Idk everyone else says otherwise. Everything I find online says a suit is too dressy

• Idk your best answer also says 'in some places' it means a suit without a tie...I think in most places actually!

• I've never actually heard of business casual attire to mean a suit with no tie. I guess that makes sense though. I think it just depends on the social customs of the country you live in.

• non jeans, collared shirt at minimum.

Suit with open collared shirt at most.