The "Natural Look" Needs Makeup?

I'm curious about this...

Most guys, in my experience, say they prefer the "natural look" as opposed to makeup. So my question is: Does the "natural look" need makeup?

Let's assume the girl is decently attractive naturally. She doesn't have any obvious blemishes and has an attractive facial structure. No pictures will be used as I know everyone has a different opinion on beauty.

So, does the "natural look" mean with makeup all over, i.e. mascara, eye shadow, eyeliner, blush, cover up, and whatnot, but doesn't look too over the top?

Or does it mean nothing but eyeliner and mascara (the stuff around the eyes and on the lashes, for you guys who don't know)?

Or is completely bare the answer? Are girls who wear no makeup attractive or as attractive as the other options?

Oh yes, and assume this girl dresses nicely and does her hair. Everything else about her is aesthetically pleasing.

Only the facial makeup is in question.

Thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• i think a girl with natural beauty as your description does not need make-up to make her face look prettier. but since female skin is softer and more prone to skin problems than male skin, many girls think they need skin care or make-up that contains good nutrients for face skin to protect their face skin from sunlight, air pollution, and dust, and to keep it health and fresh. although its not a must. in modern days, there are foundations and concealers that contain good nutrients for face skin. thus, many make-up brands have multiple functions.

if the girl in your description uses make-up to put some colors on her face, I think its just a glamorous stuff. eyeliner can be used to make your eyes look sharp. also there are girls with pale and white skin who use blush to make their cheeks reddish, because they think its cute.

personally I don't care if girls wear make-up or not. the decision to wear or to not wear make-up is up to girls' themselves.

What Guys Said 9

• To me, the "natural look" means eyeliner and lip gloss for the most part. Yes, it *could* be a bit more, but the idea is that less is more and it shouldn't look like you're wearing anything more than eyeliner and lip gloss, if that.

It's fine to be totally made up on special occasions, but for day to day, less is definitely more.

• The 'natural look' is completely unnatural! When we say we like girls without makeup, we mean no makeup, not just 'subtle' layers of goop!

• All a girl needs is a bit of eyeliner and foundation at any given time. That's maximum. Personally, I look for girls that I'll find attractive right after she wakes up with no make-up, no hair extensions and with her hair all out-of-place.

• Natural look to me is basically just enough makeup to look hotter, but doesn't look like she's wearing it.

So if you have acne, wear just enough to cover it but not so much you look like fake skin.

If you're eyes aren't very noticable, put just enough liner/shadow on to make them.

• To me the "natural look" is natural. Nothing but what you came with. A girl with a lot of make-up can be attractive in a sense, but how attractive are they with out it? :o

My thing is a little at the most, but when you can change your whole appearance, that's when you have to much.

I think that 90% (give or take a few) of women who say they "need make-up" don't. Its a mind thing.

• I do not really care. It's up to her if she wants to wear makeup or not. She look good either way to me.

• Great Question...you are pretty astute...something that I treasure in a woman...OK...my female college friends taught me about makeup a long, long time ago..and they made a believer out of me on mascara..you would NEVER hear me bitch about mascara and I believe that all people (including guys) would look better with it...eyeliner...not a big fan...but if kept to a minimum then not a turn off..I really hate a lot of that though...eyebrow pencil..no problem with that..is probably a good thing...can be overdone though...eye shadow? Eh..Some women can and some women can't..eyeshadow can be SO sexy..can also be revolting..my sister cannot wear eye shadow...lipstick? no problem with that..nor any shade...HERE is what I really hate...and most other guys too...concealer least of all, blush next...but foundation is really obnoxious and I f***ing totally hate bronzer..I love females skin and I want natural skin..not something hopped up with chemicals...>:(

• light facial will be add on to her look like eyeliner and mascara and talc.i love it.but do not like bulky too much make up.

• I'm a guy who thinks that many women don't need makeup. But not all, many do. I would say about 50% of women don't need makeup. Another 20% need just a little and like 30% need a WHOLE lot. I've seen some women who just look beautiful with nothing on. But when they have makeup on it's like their trying to be some high end model or something. Other women I've seen look like a freaking ghost, scary as sh*t sometimes. So it really just depends how you look naturally. Do you need it, maybe just a little or not at all.Try stop wearing makeup for a while and see guys reactions.

• This question wasn't for me. I don't wear makeup. I was just curious about the opinion of guys.

What Girls Said 10

• Natural makeup is just makeup you do to look as if you are not wearing any but, in the end, you use just as many (if not more) products and spend just as much time as you would for any other look.

The thing you have to realize is that when guys think makeup, they think: link link link

When guys see this sort of look: link link link they assume the girls are not wearing any makeup and that that is how they look like au naturel... which we all know could not be further from the truth.

So when a guy tells you he likes girls that do not wear any makeup, what he actually means to say is he goes for girls that opt for a natural look. You can see this for yourself if you just pay close attention: the girls that are actually bare faced will never look better and for that reason will never get picked over a girl that just looks as if she is not wearing any makeup.

The truth is, no matter how attractive you may be, we are all human and we all have flaws that could use concealing. No one "needs" to wear makeup but everyone certainly does look a lot better and more put together if they do.

• When I think natural - I think with only maybe foundation to cover any small blemishes and that's it. Hell even then, no foundation if you don't need it.

Completely bare.

No eyeliner, no mascara, no blush, no eye shadow, no lipstick, no nothing - maybe a little chap stick lol, don't need to be walkin around with crusty lips :P

Now, there are techniques in doing make - up that make you look fresh faced, often with skin complimenting blushes, eye shadows, and liners - but your still technically wearing make - up.

Then there are the dramatic like glamming yourself up make up techniques with the drama liner, edgy eye shadows, lip liners that make it obvious your wearing make - up to play up your beauty.

But I say clean faced is really the 100% natural look.

• You can wear a moderate amount of make-up and still have the natural look with coverage.

I think with guys it's like OK you can have on make-up but make sure it's applied correctly and to the point where they can't tell too much. If it's rubbing off on collars, napkins or if it's too cakey looking...i.e foundation...then that's a turn off

Oh and also with the big dramatic over exaggerated eye shadow, eye liner, mascara...the false eyelashes; that's not natural looking.. and if isn't applied correctly doesn't "really" make any sense to have it on

I don't wear a lot of makeup and that's my preference, if someone likes me, they like me, if they don't, they don't...but I won't over enhance or exaggerate my look because I think "I look 10x better this way!" that's like lying "too" much, to myself, and others around me because I don't really look like that.

• lots of guys can't tell when a girl is only wearing bare minimum make up, but he might prefer it without realizing.

• guys say they like the natural look but I think that isn't true because most of the time I see guys go after the really hot girl with the made up face and the heels way more that the girl with no make up wearing flip flops.

• It doesn't need make up but if you want to do it you can enhance or make a feature stand out more

• I think just using a good moisturizer works

• Guys always say they hate when women wear makeup, but I always get noticed more when I wear it. I don't even wear that much when I do wear it. I just wear eyeliner, lip gloss and mascara. I don't do anything too different, and yet I get so many compliments and this is from guys who have seen me bare faced and with makeup. Friday night I went out with my friends and sat on a patio at a bar, I was dressed up but I didn't have on any makeup. I didn't get much attention, but my other friends did. Last night I went to a friends place with makeup on and guys kept complimenting me. They were the same guys that hung out with us Friday night.

So either I am really ugly without makeup, or guys don't hate makeup as much as they claim they do.

• guys don't like plain girls w/o makeup, trust me, I've been there, I get no attention in public when I have minimal makeup and nothing done to my hair.

guys automatically think that makeup means blue eyeshadow, red lipstick and thick eyeliner...to achieve that natural look that most guys are referring to, most girls do need to spend at least 5 minutes putting on makeup in front of the mirror every morning morning, unless you're a natural beauty.

• Um, I think even a beautiful girl needs a little bit of "help" for example, I don't consider my self like celebrity attractive but I think I'm pretty and don't wear a lot of makeup, however I think a dab of moisturizer and lip balm are nice, because it makes you just look more polished and Ironically "cleaner". So I think if a girl wears make up, it should be so you can't tell. Like she looks bare, but just really flawless.