How common is it for guys to use steroids?

I saw someone's question on here that got me thinking. A user asked about whether he should use steroids or not, and he said it so casually that it made me wonder if it was widespread.

When I think of steroid using guys I think of someone who looks like this link If a guy doesn't look that extreme, then I just assume he's natural. I saw a couple Jersey Shore reruns and Ronnie, I would bet money that guy has injected. But for the most part it's not something I think about when I see a muscular guy.

Is there a deep dark hidden underworld of steroid using guys, where many of them are doing it and it's just unspoken? Or is stereoid use rare?

Most Helpful Guy

• Steroids per say... are not actually bad. But you have to understand how they work and why and when you should take them. They are generally medically prescribed to patients who suffer from low testosterone levels to get them to the normal range but can be prescribed for other medical reasons.

Everyone regardless of has a natural hromonal level with their own general testosterone level. Your body is adapted to make use of your natural levels and anything below or above it would mean you're body would attempt to regulate itself back to the normal range. When you take testosterone, it elovates these levels far beyond your normal range and you're body compensates by cutting down on your natural production levels (you're balls literally start shutting off) because of the outsources hormones coming in. When you get off steroids, you're body will be a mess and you'll suffer from beyond low levels and literally of f***ed yourself so they truly aren't advisable for anyone healthy in the long term.

Generally though they aren't that common at all, usually just guys who have no idea what they are or how they work will use them if someone suggests it to them but they aren't exactly that easy to get ahold off

• Totally agree with you! I've been using some too, and I always get them from http://us.basicstero.net website. I am sure that they are good there, and I know how to use them correctly. It is very important.

• I'd only advise them to people below natural levels and are using them to get normal

What Guys Said 14

• more prevalent than people would think. I knew hockey players in high school who used. didn't really see much of a difference since some of them were lazy f***s anyway. I was a gym rat in high school, people started spreading rumors that I juiced but it wasn't true. I've thought about using since my icons used them, most notoriously the governator. I just never did figure id achieve everything naturally. I ended up getting really fit but not really muscular like the body builders though I had muscle, still do.

i realize now though that steroids are not that bad. just like any other drug its only bad if you develop a dependency to the drug. if you have an addictive personality I wouldn't recommend taking any drug. steroids are used all the time in the medical field to treat aids and cancer patients, and people with other muscle wasting diseases.

i watched a documentary on steroids and this man had aids and almost all of his white blood cells were gone, he only had a few left. so his dr recommend he use steroids, and there was like a 50% chance of him to recover and he did. he gained something like 25 pds over 3 months. and his white blood cell count was up as well.

i figure I won't juice until iam in peak physical condition then maybe use steroids to go beyond those limits.

• I only knew one dude that was honest about using them. He was my friend when we all were about 18 and he was ripped as sh*t.

Honestly, I don't know about most other dudes, but all I have to do is eat a lot of fast food and I gain a lot of muscle (but feel slower...which is why I don't do it much). They pump all the cows and chickens now with steroids and growth hormone.

• Lol would be interesting if that's true. I haven't had that stuff in years.

• When I used to eat a lot of McDonalds and Burger King I weighed 185 pounds easy of muscle. I now do the same sh*t and stopped eating most of that junk so I could feel healthier, and I now weigh 165. Nothing has really changed other than my diet...I eat more Subway and home cooked foods now.

• A lot of guys that are involved in sport and who are constantly at the gym use. I've known a lot of them over the years but never use steroids myself. It usually the skinny guys that want to get big, or the football player that wants to bulk up, or the guys that want to be body builders and are always taking torso shots lol =P They do it for the same reasons girls go anorexic. They have an unhealthy body image and they want to push beyond what is normal for the most part. I've just always been active and put on muscle relatively easily and have been happy with my body image.

• I've been asked if I wanted some by a guy or two that I knew when I worked out a lot. They seemed to talk about it very casually. I don't really talk to the guys at the gym now a days although I bet quite a few guys do it. I know many guys can be serious about their muscles. There are warning signs up on the mirrors at the gym threatening that people can lose their membership if caught. A lot of people claim that steroids aren't really unhealthy or something to that extent.

• It's more common than people think. Sometimes you can't even tell, don't get me wrong you notice a different in size while on a steroid cycle, but unless you know the person to see the change you might not know they are on one. I have a couple friends in bodybuilding, it's quite obvious they juice. I have a few friends who have tried a cycle and I noticed somewhat of a muscle growth, but they went back to normal size after their cycle. Its 3 steps forward one step back. You still have to work hard while on a steroid if you want to gain results.

I have never taken steroids, but I know many people that have. Ronnie from jersey shore, in my opinion doesn't look like he takes roids. Unless he openly admitted it or something, I don't really watch JC so I wouldn't know. It's really not that difficult to get that big. You need to realize genetics play a big roll before judging someone if they juice.

So to answer you question: It's not uncommon, steroids are easy to get. Although I heard some places are more populated with roid users than others.

• not so common...only people who are in some sort of competition use it ..firstly people dnt kn ow how to trace a guy who got jacked naturally and a guy who used steroids...whoever gets jacked they say he took steroid...for instance john cena and hhh were blamed for steroid use by cnn they underwent doping test and they were steroid free naturally beefed up guy...same was said for sly stallone but he used an amio acid equally potent to steroids also HGH since he is 65 years old and he needs some growth hormones...i hate wen I see such things said to ppl,who never used it

• It is common among certain circles. Lots of body builders use them and if you hang out in a big gym, it is likely that someone in there is on the juice.

The average athletic guy that you meet doesn't use them. It's really not too prevelant. They cost lots of money.

For a short time I was taking some somewhat questionable supplements. Not exactly steroids, but not exactly vitamins, if you know what I mean. I didn't use them for more than a month, and I really didn't see much of a difference.

• Not that common, though you really see it with jacked up dudes. I know people that take steroids, and they've tried to sell me some. I could get some today if I wanted to, but nah I'm good, that stuff is terrible for your body.

• I personally don't know anyone who uses them and I don't use them myself - my health is a price far too high to pay for something so pointless, nobody cares whether or not you're ripped if you got your shirt on... not to mention that after stopping to use steroids all the effect is lost, but the damage to your health is permanent.

• Not many hopefully It is a bad habit however I have found few in my trips to Thailand and there they can get cheap dirty steroids

• i would guess its pretty rare but I'm not totally sure

• In sports, steroids and similar things are used even at the high school level because they want to put on muscle and it improves recovery time. There was a documentary that I haven't seen in a while that said that even the guys on the Bowflex commercials use steroids, so it's false advertising. As far as the average guy goes, it's not common. For those that want to compete at a higher level, it's pretty common, I think. However, most guys could probably get their hands on them if they went to the gym and wanted that.

• steroids are for losers. you see athletes like boxers, bodybuilders, and MMA fighters are considered cheaters for taking steroids. and yes steroids give negative effects.

• No way. I have full sized balls.

What Girls Said 0