Do you think you can tell when someone has money or not?

Many rich people live below their means and only buy the essentials. Look at some celebrities that walk around, they dress average, some people that live in the projects wear more expensive clothing than they do. The richest man I know who makes over six figures a year, drives a prius and dresses absolutely normal to the point of blending in with everyone else. I remember him telling me this a long time ago, "Why do I have to wear expensive clothing for? I don't need to impress anyone. Have you noticed how poor people are the ones that are always wasting their money on expensive sneakers, cars, jewelry, clothing, etc? Look at me, you know where I got this shirt? Modells. You know how much I paid for it? 4 for $25." I remember it word for word because that's how big of an impression it left on me. After I heard that, I sold almost all my sneakers, bought myself a pair of converse, started wearing plain Ts, and have been saving a bunch of money since then. If you look at his friends, it's crazy how they dress, you would never be able to tell that they have money.

So my question is:

Should he just dress in expensive clothing?

Do you agree with his quote?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I was brought up on the "flaunt it and you will lose it". Guess it is a bit like the Uncle Scroodge syndrome as well. People who built their fortune gradually know the value of money and don't go out spending it just because they can. That is how they got the money in the first place.

People who flaunt it are usually newly rich who don't know better and will probably lose it all anyway...

Maybe you can tell by their attitude or confidence.

What Girls Said 5

• Yeah, even when they don't flaunt their wealth with labels I can still usually tell when a guy or girl has money.just like I can tell when someone is poor or comes from poverty even if they're wearing expensive things. I don't know why I can just detect it.either way you should wear what you like.i'm average I guess and I don't like cheap clothes, usually bad quality

• Yes

There is a HUGE difference in mentality between the wealthy and the poor. It's not uncommon to run across poor people who live in the ghetto or projections or barrio, can't pay their bills or won't pay child support, but they drive some suped up Dodge Charger or Chevy Impala or Chrysler 300. Or to come across an obviously poor woman with multiple children, living off food stamps, who will go months without paying her bills so she can buy a Coach or Louis Vuitton handbag.

With the poor, those few assets are a representation of their "success" and "ability" to fend for themselves.

For wealthier people, it's less about random assets and more about the important ones. Provide a nice home for you or your family, then nice meals, then nice clothing/jewelry, then a nice car.

With wealthy people, there's 2 kinds: the ones that flaunt it & are obviously wealthy and the ones who don't.

I don't think it says much about either of them. There are those who have no interest in material items and those who do.

I have friends from both of these categories. I have one who drives a VERY nice car, but she dresses like a hobo. She's a real tomboy though and people are shocked to find out she's wealthy.

I have friends who will only wear obvious designer clothing.

I think the people who wear or have expensive things simply stick out more to those who aren't wealthy. Other wealthy people won't bat an eye, but to those without money, it's a big deal.

Sometimes it's not about impressing other people. If you're wealthy and come from an environment where obvious designer items are common, you just wear them. It's not for attention or approval, it's just your lifestyle. When you venture out, people then begin to notice.

I won't say I'm wealthy, but my parents are able to afford nice things. Yes, I have a very nice car which I'm 100% grateful and fortunate for, I do buy designer jeans in particular as well as designer dresses & I have a few nice electronic devices, but I buy them because they're better quality than the cheaper stuff. I don't walk around saying "I HAVE TRUE RELIGION JEANS" or "I HAVE 2 LOUIS VUITTON BAGS" because it's not something I need the world to know.

Can I tell? I think I can. But sometimes it takes getting to know a person before I can really see it.

• Don't think you can tell. Some are careful spenders...some spend on cars, homes, not clothes and accessories.

• I think you can sometimes tell when someone has money... but, he should wear whatever he feels comfortable in :D

• Sometimes it's hard to tell, youd be surprised, I've worked in a casino for years and some flaunt it but a lot don't.

What Guys Said 9

• Nah, there's no way I could tell definitively. I mean, the super rich, like movie star or big time sports star, maybe, but generally the average rich person in the corner office, probably not. Some of the guys in the corner office in my building were once engineers and they still have that mentality. They wear jeans and a polo or a regular button down shirt to work and drive a regular car. I know this because I once wore the exact same thing as one of them and I got my entire ensemble at Kohls in the discount bin. Most people who are rich don't make bad choices and waste money. They probably got rich because they have really good judgement.

• The only to get a semi-accurate guess at someone's "wealth" is to gauge their overall aura.

I will never forget this moment: I was @ the Bellagio casino in Vegas, and there were two guys playing blackjack with $500 chips. It was funny because it was like a spectacle; there are literally people standing there watching.

I will admit that it's fascinating to see people bet $1000, then double-down, therefore betting 2 grand on one hand of blackjack (which was double my gambling budget for the whole trip lmao).

Looking at them, unless you're spot-on at noticing designer watches, there was no way that you can tell they had the money to bet 4 figures on a single game of blackjack. There were dressed in normal button-up shirts and jeans and in sneakers.

• No. There was a story about pathetic gold diggers who claimed they could tell who had money, they took some average-rich guys who all dressed as they regularly would to go out to a bar. Most of them picked the wrong guys, one said she actually liked the guy (poor/middle class) though and the reporter asked how he felt about her first interest in him being money.. lol

• you should buy what you like, for yourself not for others.

and if you like $2000 shoes, hey why not? if you like $400 shirt, why not? and if you like $5 t-shirt? hey, buy it, wear it, enjoy it. who cares...

wear what makes you feel good.

• Yeah but the funny thing is that poor people spend money trying to look like they have money, when they could save that money to really have it.

• that's true.

• Never judge someone by what they wear or drive. And, all that shines isn`t always gold.

• It is usually the least worried person in the room. Rich people are quite calm .

• I had a professor who is loaded with cash he as side business to and he owns real estate, but his car is old and his clothes are nothing fancy.

• celebs don't wear cheap stuff, it just looks cheap but is still expensive. as far as poor/rich dressing expensive I think it is really just reflective of their personality. a lot of rich got rich by scraping by at one point in life & that influenced them

• Some people have a certain sense about them and I can tell if they are broke. It is sometimes easy to just tell from the clothes but that is not always a true indicator. I somewhat agree with him if you want to save for 10 years then invest well but the only way to be truly wealthy is to make good money in the 1st place. 5 stars man good question