Girls! I'm hopeless when it comes to eyeliner!

I'm wondering how long it took you ladies to master putting eyeliner on? Personally I'm new to it, I've kind of experimented with eyeliner a few dozen times but I always end up with a squiggly line and by the time I fix it it's so thick! I feel hopeless. Any tips? ALSO did any of you ever feel like eyeliner looked weird on you when you first started wearing it?

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends. I'm STILL useless when it comes to using liquid eyeliner.

Honestly it depends on the kind of look you're going for. If we're talking everyday - my advice is to stick to the waterlines to start with - it makes it easier to get a thin line. On your top lashes, apply under the lashes and push up, or with a very sharp pencil, from the top - but drawing into the lashes. Doing it this way means you need less of a steady hand. You can go back and forth a few times and not make a mess. Just keep going until it looks dark enough.

I use gel eyeliner if I'm going for a more dramatic evening look. It has a more bold appearance like liquid eyeliner, but I fine it easier to use. Just use a very small eyeliner bush and start small. As with anything - it's plenty easy to add more than it is to take away if you've put too much on.

If eyeliner is a dramatic change for you and you're not used to the look - maybe wear brown instead of black. Using a magnified mirror can make it easier to get a very smooth line too.

Also maybe invest in a smudge stick (or you can buy eyeliner pencils which have them on the end) this means that if you put too much on, or the line is too thick, or it looks to harsh on you - you can smudge the color out a bit so it fades smooth. Don't be afraid to press quite hard with it - I used to be really delicate and it did hardly anything - but it doesn't really hurt so don't worry about that. It also gives you a really nice, day time, understated smokey eye.

It takes a little time, but you'll get used to it soon enough.

What Guys Said 1

• Just don't wear it because I think it looks trashy

What Girls Said 5

• yes it was deff weird putting on eyeliner the first few times. I now usually wear black eyeliner (sometimes with sparkles because I love sparkles) but I actually started using brown because it sorta looks black, but it is easier to take off if you mess up and stuff like tht. once you start getting use to it, I promise it will get easier. if you want to do the bottom of your eye, what I do is I kinda pull the skin under my eye down a little so I can see the area above my lower eyelashes better. that's where I usually put it on. always start with a small amount and add on only if it seems necessary, but a little can go a long way. for the top, try to aim right where your eyelashes are and make small strokes at a time. again, start out with a little and add on if you need to. I hope you can understand this and that it helps:)

• I had trouble at first too...I think it really helps if you use the pencils verus the liquid liner...easier for me anyway! Don't worry...you'll get the hang of it! Now if I could only master mascara...ugh

• it's a pain in the ass to put on. =/ I was like F*** THIS! way back when I don't really wear it though.

• I think its easy, the ones with the hard top is easier to manage rather the ones with the small soft brush.

• it takes time to learn. I recommend prestige total intensity it glides on very easily so you only need a light hand. it is sold in drugstores.

one tip, especially for the top, is stay close to the lashes. as close as possible. draw where they meet the lid, and in between them, not above that.

besides that practice makes perfect, try finding tutorials on YouTube

• I'll have to try that one, right now I have Maybelline and it's just not good for me. Thanks!