Have you ever looked for something but couldn't find it, only to find out later it was right in front of you?

Today I was looking for a tape measure. It's kept in a certain drawer, but when I opened the drawer I didn't find it. I just saw the other items in the drawer. I'm not sure if this is significant, but I was in a rush and preoccupied at the time. Later in the evening when I was calm, I looked in the drawer again and then saw it.

A few years back I was doing work at my desk. I just placed my pen down momentarily on my cluttered desk to tend to some other things. Then I needed to use my pen again but couldn't find it. I was looking through underneath the clutter and everything but still couldn't find it. I was frustrated. Only a few minutes later did I realize that it was right in front of me.

Have you ever had an experience like this before? It's weird. It's like your mind is playing tricks, your brain selectively and momentarily blinds you.

Most Helpful Girl

• thought I lost my phone.

it was in my hand.

it was weird

link

• Your experience reminded me of another one I had several years back. I was making a dish and couldn't find a measuring spoon. I later realized I was holding it in my other hand. I guess I was just distracted with all ingredients and steps, because it was my first time to try out this recipe. How weird! I like the link, haha.

What Girls Said 3

• My pencil... I used it to hold my hair back.

My backpack... it was on my back

My sunglasses... on top of my head

lol, I have a few! haha

• haha, it's really weird. Another one for me is a measuring spoon. I was looking for it when I was making this new dish, only to find out it was in my other hand. I find your username fitting for this question, haha

• haha, yep, you have no idea! lol

• yes! And it usually happens when I'm in a rush and just like you mention once I'm all calm its right in front of me. So whenever I'm late and I'm in a rush and can't find something I just like breathe and calm Down.

• I'm glad I'm not the only one. Several years back. I was making a dish and couldn't find a measuring spoon. I later realized I was holding it in my other hand. I guess I was just distracted with all ingredients and steps, since it was my first time to try out this recipe. It was weird, but yes, I realized it was in my hand when I calmed down.

• OH MY GOD. DEAD ON.

IT WAS HAPPENED AND HAS FREAKED THE HELL OUTTA ME.

i thought...how did I not see that?

i would think its my brain but I usually think its some mysterious act of haunted weirdness going on in my house. like a ghost is trying to mess with me and play tricks on me. its really freaky.

What Guys Said 2

• I can't remember what it's called, it's something to do with your expectations.

• According to QI, there was a recent study which showed that if say the name of the thing you're looking for ("Where is the blasted tape measure?") it can offset this object blindness and you'll see it instead of missing it.