The quick look away....what's going on here?

The classic you know someone is starring at you. Then you look and catch them and they quickly turn the other way. Guys and Girls are both guilty.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 5

• Because I'm checking out how handsome you are and you catch me staring, which is socially represented as being ' awkward" and " creepy," and hence at my persona in a negative fashion, so I try to redeem myself by pretending I wasn't checking you out and instead the very enthralling patch of gray ceiling above your head 0_0

• Yes, everyone is guilty of it but its not always because we're interested in the person. But it varies between person to person. Even though it has been said that looking at a person while they aren't looking is one of the easiest ways to show interest in a person that you don't know and have spotted somewhere

• We can do this for many reasons... You can do this because you like Someone or maybe you just wanna see what he is doing... idk...

• could be a classic case of crotch watch or he or she may just be checkin' you out! xD

• Example (A) So tonight I was at the gym and watching this guy do this weight lifting routine and he sort of looked like he had a little extra spring in his step like he was dancing or something. He looked over at me and I looked away quickly in HOPE that he realized I wasn't trying to flirt. But I was also smiling because he looked like he was having fun. I'm not interested in him. I'm interested in watching the exercises that people do so I can learn more. So not flirting. Plus he just looked happy so I was smiling. I don't want him to approach me although he is good looking. I'm not interested and I like my gym time to be for workouts only and not pick ups. .

Example (B) A different guy not at the gym caught me off guard, I glanced at him and recognized him as this cute guy I like. He noticed me looking and he looked back at me quickly so I was a little startled because I had been reading a book and wasn't expecting to see him there (my head was in a different world). So I WAS flirting with him YES but kind of accidentally. I looked away out of shyness when he caught me looking at him. I want him to approach me yes. I'm interested.

Example (C) A different guy was driving by in this awesome vehicle today and I watched as he drove towards me on the street and as he drove by me he was giving me this funny grin like YEAH I'm awesome and I smiled back at him and then I think I looked away. I can't remember where I looked or in what direction. I'm not attracted to him and not interested in him. I would however like a ride in the vehicle but really don't want anything to do with the guy who was younger than me. I just like his ride.

Example (D) Hypothetical--There is someone near me in a room that is making some odd noise so I look over to ASSESS what is going on. There is some oddball and unattractive guy being strange so I quickly look away after I locate the source of the noise and get a chance to see if he has any sharp objects in his hands.

So to answer your question. People like to look at each other for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes I just watch what people are doing so I can be aware of my environment.

What Guys Said 2

• It happens when you're checking someone out, plain and simple.

• they are checking you out or they are just bored and looking at people