Why is physical appearance so important these days?

Ok where do I start. I am like officially depressed. I'm a girl and I feel so so so so pressured to constantly perfect and look good always. I come from a country where all the girls are so pretty, I just have to like be on the same level. I really don't know what to do. I deleted my Facebook I just couldn't do it anymore. I'm so sick of seeing size 6 clothes in shops and when you ask for a normal size they don't have it. Because of all this I'm basically trying to eat as less as I can to maintain my body and get into a more petite shape. Media doesn't help at all either. Like here, anyone who isn't happy with their appearance simply goes and does surgery. The society we live in is so ridiculous. I'm not insecure, I love my personality, I am happy with the way I look. But, just wherever you go you have to be perfect and match society standards, and the girls don't help at all. Every girl is judged by the way she looks here - then her attributes. By the way I live in Lebanon. If you've been here you would know exactly what I mean.

Most Helpful Guy

• I *have* been told that there are a lot of very beautiful women there, so I can believe that you feel some pressure to look good. However, while it's not a bad thing to work on your appearance, you also need to keep that at a reasonable level. You don't have to buy the latest high-end clothes or be skinny as a stick to be attractive. No matter where you are, there are going to be guys who prefer girls who are a little bigger and curvier.

The most important thing is to keep a positive attitude and let yourself FEEL sexy. If you feel it, guys will too.

What Guys Said 3

• I always had this tendency to adhere to "society's standards", but to be honest, the people who enforce it are close-minded dweebs, so if you're happy about the way you look, then you shouldn't be so depressed about it.

For a long time I thought there weren't too many size 40 shoes (EU or something) at the store, but apparently it's because those are the ones that are taken the most. Of course they run out of it - because that's the standard.

So, this pressure is something I personally thought it existed, but it's actually just in our heads. That's what I think, anyways. Ever since I realized that the emotional coldness and dominance and various other things that guys are supposed to have as qualities - they don't. None of this is needed.

• It is possible girl that you are putting some of this on yourself. yes girls have some pressure with appearance but not as extreme as you think. as for guys. we really have a wide range of what is attractive. yes we like the hot chicks in the magazine cover. we are guys. but we are never going to bang them. so chill out. message if you want girl. later.

• are you describing Lebanon or another country? Also I think Middle Eastern women are great looking. So you're chances are pretty good I think. Hope this makes you feel better.

What Girls Said 1

• see I know it does matter...see its not about other people ..its about u...if you feel you are happy with what you are then forget about the world...but reducing a little weight might make you feel confident...