Are "unnatural" hair colors a turn off?

I currently have dirty blond hair. I have lighter skin with blue eyes and freckles. My hair dresser keeps telling me to dye my hair red because of my coloring. I am starting to get really interested in the idea, I am sick of how I look now. However, I really dislike red/auburn hair (on me) so I have been thinking about a dark purple/red/brown color. It is clearly not a natural color that grows out of someone's head, but I still think it looks pretty. My boyfriend keeps saying "it would just look fake" and my mom keeps saying "just go brown."

I have a sort of quirky style, I dress basically however I want, and I am really into "unnatural" looking things like makeup and bright nail polish. I am afraid dying it will take it too far. I don't want to look really fake. Opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• I like auburn. I always called it "copper hair," though Google says copper is a lighter shade. Guess I wouldn't know that intuitively, since I'm not at all metro. I tend to dress like a trucker, minus the hat, even though I have the mind of a librarian.

If I can see your picture, I might have ideas. Jet black like a goth might not be right for you; but it sure does make girls hard for me to resist. Fire truck red might be a good one for you to try. I'd avoid purple. You're not a Technicolor cartoon creature. Nor an anime babe. So don't try it.

A brown hair with some copper highlights (which I have naturally, oddly enough) might be your thing.

What Guys Said 3

• Try it once. Unlike many other things you could do (tattoos, piercings, branding, other body mods), hair is fairly easy to change, and at the absolute worst, you could cut it off and wait for it to grow back, so there's no permanent harm done.

Obviously, certain types of jobs wouldn't go for this, and maybe some other activities where a more conservative look is desirable, but otherwise, you're young enough to give it a try and see what you think.

• when I read in the second line about your blue eyes,and freckles I thought you were going to say that your natural hair color was red,I think it prooves that your hair dresser was right,because it would look very natural on you,however,some guys migh find unnatural hair colors very appealing such as purple,pink,blue...if they're into alternative subcultures(hardcore metalheads,punk,goth,emo...)

my opinion you should probably check out alternative models,such as (Razor Candi,Ulorin Vex,Eden prosper,Seraphine strange...) if you're really into unnatural looks as you mentioned in your question,and compare your style to theirs,and see what fits you best...

• no worries. but do not go too far out of normal. and it needs to fit your look and personality.

What Girls Said 2

• You could try some semi-permanent lowlights to see if you like it first. I have the same coloring as you and recently had some auburn lowlights put in for more contrast. I really like it, I think it makes me look healthier and less washed-out than the blond.

That said, it's your hair so you should do what you feel is your style, not what someone else says you should do. It really depends on the look you're going for but I don't think 'unnatural colors' are a turn-off in themselves. The trick to pulling it off is to play up one thing at a time, so maybe try the bottle color with bright nail polish but tone down the make-up, or go for a more natural color with bright make-up and accessories. Just keep playing around with it until you find the combination that works for you.

• Not a turn off, red compliments blue. I have naturally blond hair and I've gone bright red before, and pretty much every color you can think of. Problem with red is that it is the hardest pigment to get rid of and though it fades quickly to a nice pinky orange you have to keep up the maintence and it really stains your hair so to get rid of it you have to bleach it and tone it. So overall if you value hair health and straighten and blowdry quite often I wouldn't recommend it. However you're young, try new things, it's just hair.