Which shampoos "for oily hair" work best?

Which shampoos for oily/greasy hair have worked best for you? Are there certain brands that have an "oily" version, such as Head & Shoulders, Pert, etc... or is there a special brand of shampoo that's made specially for oily hair that's been helpful to you?

Any recommendations?

Most Helpful Girl

• Head & Shoulders won't work for oily hair--it's meant for moisturizing the scalp, not clarifying.

Garnier Fructis Balanced Care shampoo/conditioner is great for clarifying/balancing oil. Go for shampoos that are translucent. Ones that are milky will tend to be more moisturizing to add oil to hair.

If you're willing to splurge, Bumble & Bumble's Let It Shine shampoo is fantastic (it's what I use on oily hair days). However, it is so, so much more expensive than other shampoos.

Another trick is to wash your hair every other day. That way, your hair will eventually stop producing as much oil (it reaches an equilibrium, so to speak).

What Guys Said 1

• i used to have oily hair when I was a teenager, the problem goes away after your early 20s. I used to use vidal sassoon shampoo, worked great for me

What Girls Said 8

• Firstly, never use Head and Shoulders or Tresemme! My friend is a hairdresser, and part of her course they were given a test - treat different clients hair with different shampoos and after a week run the edge of the blade of scissors down the hair. Both those products were the worst - they left a green gung on the hair. Ever since, I'm scared of these!

I use Herbal Essences. I have very thin hair that gets greasy quickly. I don't use conditioner because it's too heavy for my hair, I use Aussie spray in.

Consider switching to spray in and wash your hair every other day.

• If all your concerned about is excess oil you could try adding about a teaspoon of baking soda to your shampoo each time you wash your hair. It'll get rid of any excess oil and you can use any shampoo you want that way. And once you've tried it out you can add less or more of the baking soda depending on whether or not your hair was still to greasy or too dry.

• i would recommend tresemme. Don't wash your hair too often instead use dry schampoo when you feel your hair is getting grease inbetween washes, dry schampoo is power that you rub in your hair so is sucks up grease and oils and freshen up you hair and give it a n.ce clean smell plus it gives it volume :)

• I have only recently quit washing my hair every day from its old oil levels. Apparently I'm aging *sigh*.

However, after 10 years of having hair my dad oft suggested I set up an oil rig on, I've found Herbal Essences to be the kindest/most effective with it. Not an oil specific one, but the brand overall always worked really well for me. Cheaper brands 'over-washed' my hair to where the hair stylist thought I has been swimming in chlorine everyday.

• Most people have oily hair because they over wash it and strip the scalp of needed body oils so our body's start producing more so we was more and that goes round and round so if you wash your hair every other day that will help at first it wi feel kinds gross but stick with it and you hair wi be all sexy! Also instead of shampoo use conditioner is softer on your scalp

• I actually do wash every other day, sometimes even 2 days in between. I have a scalp condition, some sort of dermatitis, where my glands produce too much oil. I can't get in to see the dermatologist for a few more weeks, so I'm trying to find a shampoo to help until then. I've already tried a few medicated ones, but keep building up immunity to them.

• Well try just using conditioner I can't use shampoo it makes my hair oily

• When my hair is uber slick, I use Garnier Fructis shampoo for dandruff. I don't have dandruff but it thoroughly cleanses the scalp as well as adding moisture to help balance oil production. I leave it on my head for about 3 minutes, and my hair usually stays fresh for 2-3 days (plus sometimes I cheat and use a dry shampoo, my favorite is by Dove). At under 3 bucks a bottle, it's worth a shot!

• I used Sunsilk.

• IF you have dandruff due to oily hair my best recommendation is: Axe AntiDandruff Shampoo. 2in1