Would you pay full price for the dinner/food you cook?

If someone took the dinner that you prepared, and placed it in a restaurant, nothing changed. Would you still pay full price for it?

Pretend you have no idea what it would taste like and you don't know it is your cooking, but it looks like something you would cook- would you be happy with it or disappointed?

I ask because I find it interesting the contradictory nature of people advocating for food- less preservatives/chemicals/coloring, etc. However, once all of these are taken out of food, you are left with food that looks much like what we make at home. Bread won't have the same color/texture, and so on and so forth.

We have these expectations of what our food should look like then we want those same additives removed. Some of those additives contribute significantly to the flavor as well as consistency/lifespan of the food. When all of these are removed, are we still going to want to pay more for food that quite frankly, doesn't look as good?

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, I don't pay a whole lot for "presentation" at the places I go out to eat at. I go for food quality, and for service. To me, when too much focus is placed on presentation, I know I'm going to be paying a lot more for the same food, or sometimes even for lesser (or just plain less) food.

I can cook maybe three dozen different "dinner" meals, most of which are fairly simple but good-tasting and filling. I don't spend much time worrying about presentation.

Anyway, your point is about additives, and you are absolutely right. We use them because if we didn't, we'd either have to food shop every single day (as is common in many places around the world), or we'd lose a lot of food to spoilage. And as you point out, many kinds of food would look less attractive and maybe even taste different.

In the US, we've literally forgotten what it's like to starve to death, because that simply just doesn't happen in the US, and food preservatives are one of the main reasons why not. Yet only 80 years ago, people starved to death all the time, and we lost a lot of food to spoilage and bugs and such. Many of our food exports wouldn't make it to other countries without preservatives, which would mean a huge loss in revenue, and likely people starving.

Every action has consequences, and many people are so insulated from those consequences that they never bother to think through the things they wish for.

What Guys Said 4

• when I go out I feel ripped off because I cook better so if I can have my quality cooking without me having to do then hell yeah I would pay for it

• Hell yeah. Home food is the best. I get really mad sometimes when I'm out and hungry, because it seems you can only find pizzerias, delis, and franchise fast food places. I prefer hitting up diners and eating some good home food, not hamburgers.

• Sure. I can cook most things on many restaurant menus. It doesn't mean I want to buy all the ingredients if I don't have them just to cook one serving.

• Hell yeah my food is bomb & I got the hookup on quanity!

What Girls Said 1

• Absolutely! I'd pay more for my dinner in a restaurant. I do not use additives, etc., and my dinners look and taste wonderful! You do not need to use all of that junk to have beautiful, delicious food. In fact, fresh, home grown food doesn't have additives & tastes better. It looks great.

I don't use many "convenience" foods or pre-made, processed foods. I can and freeze my own, which takes almost no time at all. People think it does. But if you add up the time it takes to go to the store, I'm saving time! And money! When I do buy, I buy excellent quality & I check it out well. Same with going out. Know what you eat. Just good common sense.

Back to your question, I'd be happy if something I cooked was put in front of me. Yum!

• Being a nutrition major, I know all about the stuff you mentioned, I know cooking doesn't take that much time, etc and you can have fresh food look decent etc,

However, also remember, when you are making foods for yourself, food is gonna be food, meaning veggies lose color, natural things happen during the cooking process that keep it from looking picture perfect. Some people want that picture perfect deal with foods, but also don't want the additives. Its a contradiction.

• I think you lose color in veggies when you cook the poo out of them, & most folks do. I tend to like mine al dente, more crisp, so I blanch & stick em in ice H2O, then maybe roast or leave them. They hold their color. I guess "picture perfect" mean differect things to different people. Abnormal coloring is disgusting to me. And greasy is not appealing to me either. I think they oil up meats to make them look "yummy." Yuck! Oh well, it is what it is.