Do you trust authority?

Overall, do you think authority is more looking out for you, or more looking to exploit you? Not either or, but which do you think is more?

And by authority I mean not just the government, but any private entity that has authority over you, like an employer, for instance.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• It is hard to make generalities, but people are usually attracted by power positions for the wrong reasons.

For instance, let's take the US campaign, where people or institutions literally give millions to support campaigns - usually to both sides - and expect something in return.

Look at the Bush era, where a war was started in Iraq just so US oil companies could seize iraqi oil, and Cheney's company could earn billions by selling stuff to the army 20 times its price.

Look at Obama, "yes we can", he just forgot to add "but we won't".

Look at Romney, illiterate war monging fool for the illiterate masses.

Look at your senator, who is sponsored by the same companies.

Look at your mayor, who think they are all powerful once in charge.

Look at your employer, who say they can't pay you more but buy a luxury car/house/boat the following week.

Look at cops, when what they say is stronger in front of a court than what you say, when there is no witness. Look at how the cop's chief is supporting them when they do something bad, because nobody wants someone with a gun angry at you.

How are we supposed to trust any of these people when they keep showing us again and again that they aren't trustable, that they are just here to enjoy the advantages of their position, legally steal from us, and sometimes even kill us and never be punished ?

By the way, it's not an anti US rant, the same happens where I live too.

What Girls Said 15

• It depends on what I am trusting them with and who they are. I try not to take it for granted that people know what they're doing or that they are doing everything they can to help me, because I know how often that isn't the case. But ultimately I will trust their judgement if I feel secure that they know more than I do and have my best interest at heart.

• I use to but lately not so much

• Depends.

You cannot have sheep like tendencies in this world. Meaning you can't just follow what someone says and not have a mind of your own. I think people need to understand the system, they need to be fully aware of their rights. You can't just give someone your trust. There are too many power hungry people who will abuse it to get waht they want.

• It depends on the person of course, but as a general rule I do trust authority. I don't trust politicians, but the authority figures I come into contact with personally are usually nice and/or are just doing their jobs.

• I voted B because if an authority tells me something, and my intuition is telling me something else, I'll follow my own guidance. I've never blindly followed someone. I always question. So generally no, I don't trust authority. Instances where I have have been extremely rare

• no because it don't matter if your older or not you still could be as dumb as a box of rocks and most of the time the shy ones that hide are smarter that the others because the hear everything even thing you might not want any one to know

• depends on the situation andhow they're conducting themselves

• uummmm nope :-P :)

• I'm always a skeptic about others, but not a paranoid fanatic. I am a realist. I know the bottom line for an employer is $$$ for them, not me. They are not in business to make me happy or to benefit me. Same for just about everything else. People are just out for themselves. Bottom line, you have to have your own best interest at heart & your family's. I trust me.

• I think they are just doing their job. People who think otherwise, only make their job harder than it is, so yea they might treat you worse than those who make their job easy.

For example this dude I know was trying to pick up on a prostitute, and the prostitute turned out to be a cop chick. As soon as the cops drove up to him, he took off. He just made those cops have a complicated unpleasant chase, when he could have just stayed there, he was already caught anyway. So anyhow, when he finally stopped the cops were very harsh with him, and with reason, why the f*** would he run off. Idiot. I'm sure if he would have stayed they wouldn't have been so harsh. And that's just one example, there's people like that everywhere, at the grocery store customers making people who work them have a hard time. It's really stupid.

And yes sometimes they are at fault, but usually it's the person in question who's making them have a bad day and in turn they make YOU have a bad day.

• It's not just cops, but the "just doing their job" thing can be used for anything. The Nazi concentration camp guards were just doing their job.

• You don't understand because you obviously don't want to take into account things you disagree with. Cops use the doctrine of passive obedience. That means they do what they are told to, without questioning it. Which makes them tools and not citizens. This said, there have always been tools and individuals. The prostitute example is completely wrong : this is a cop creating a crime. How is it acceptable ? It's as if I gave you cocaine and then arrested you for taking it. Nonsense.

• No, there are a significant amount of men who pick up on whores, and they need to be stopped. Spreading diseases like crazy is sickening, specially those who later go home to their wives. So if cops need to pose as hookers is because there are so many sick men out there f***ing anything with a hole regardless of an infections. & the cop didn't torture the dude, he was just reacting to his behavior. & this is not JUST about COPS, that was just what came to mind since it's what recently happened.

• too many liars, especially those who have dominated economy, military, government, science, sport, and mass media.

• from my experience, in retail, I do not. my manager is the most corrupt and selfish woman I've ever met and in no way do I see her as a good leader.

• Not in Texas or Louisiana they are a mest up and aren't even trying to protect the people they are just taking advantage of their position.

• NOT IN SOUTH-AFRICA! When they actually do their job OUR PRESIDENT and YOUTH LEADER wants to through them in jail.

What would you do if 150 people were storming at you with axes and spades ext.?

• More likely to exploit. They have all the power and we are vulnerable & dependent. Also because crazy power hungry people are attracted to these kind of positions...so some will always be there.

What Guys Said 18

• Great question, voit! Me, I don't trust any of them. A small clique at the top runs everything, the rest of us are, as Romney said, victims.

• God no. Not in this day and age. Why would I trust them when they are never open and honest about what's going on and are openly spying on ALL of us treating us like criminals and doing so much horrible sh*t all for their own greed? At least when it comes to government authority.

When it comes to the authority of my job? Well, no, again, they are focusing on just doing their job and making things work and mostly looking out for themselves. I don't really trust authority in general.

• I trust authority if I have reason to. Or if said authority can provide a good reason or explanation. "Because I said so." was something that has NEVER sat with me. If you give me that, or any kind of dodgy, ducked, sidestepped, ran-around or straight up blocked answer when I question it, then I will absolutely not question authority. If an authority has given me good reason to trust in the past, and has given me no reason to doubt, then I will trust authority. though I may have questions in future.

In short, trust is earned. Even trust of an authority. At least for me.

• Nobody in their right mind would trust authority.

• I don't really trust authority at all. I'm sort of a paranoid person in that regard. I always assume the person has ulterior motives. That applies to politicians, cops, teachers, etc.

• authority are people. Just like any normal person we may see different solutions to any different problem. If your thoughts ,and theirs is aligned, it may feel like they are looking out for you. There are times what they believe is the best solution may be their personal vested interest, or maybe other sources of external pressure.

• Depends.

Some people abuse authority. I've met cops who were unprofessional and I've met cops who were very professional. Depends on the officer. Either way I know there just doing there jobs but there is a right way to do it and a wrong way.

• We live in a police state, I think that answers your question indirectly.

• for me it's 60% NO and 40% yes. I trust them to do most of what their job tittle says but I don't trust them not to abuse their power or to be perfect they are only human after all.

• Authority is fallible, since it is made up of people.

• I trust government way more than I trust my employer or than a street cop or a DA

• Trust must be earned. Actions from authority figures that don't follow their words or what is for the greater good kills trust.

• I trust in Law enforcement if they are good and not trying to push by me to get coffee

• Your poll did not allow for any middle ground...therefore...No I don't trust authority..):

• Can I get a "heeelll"?

Can I get a "nooooo"?

• Not unless I am the authority lol..

• if romney becomes president I will have lost all respect for America

he lies and distorts the truth

link

• No I don't. I don't need the government to be any bigger, and certainly don't need them to hold my hand. I think a lot of police officers are in it for the wrong reason as well.