What are proper running shoes?

Like how do I know which shoes to wear when I go out running.

I have one problem, when I try to run my lower leg starts hurting. Not because it's not toned or anything, it's not my muscles hurting, it's more like a joint problem I guess. I was told I"m probably not running with proper shoes.

So what am I looking for here?

Most Helpful Guy

• Sounds like shin splints.

You just need a pair of shoes that fit well and have good cushioning - that's all.

You'll see some shoes claiming to suit different gaits (over-/under-/neutral pronation) or designed for support/cushioning/etc - it's all marketing bullsh*t (and has been proven as such).

There are also some shoes like djvtech mentions, which are supposed to replicate the feel of running barefoot. These are far more likely to lead to injury, as they force you to adopt a very different running style (you can't land heel first, as you normally would), while offering no benefits at all.

Running on softer ground (not tarmac roads) would be a good idea though, and you should probably take it a bit easy for a while.

What Guys Said 5

• My old man runs in marathons and he swears by Nike shoes, claims they cushion the impact of all his steps. Considering he's in his 60s and has no joint pain or problems at all, and, has been running his entire adult life, I heed his advice in that regard.

• For me , New Blance. They fit better than others because they come in such a variety of widths. Plus, they haven't been involved so much in sweatshop scandals in poor countries.

• You need to go to a store that actually specializes in running. There are different styles if running shoe and depending on YOUR style you need a different shoe.

• Could be shine splints. But proper running shoes for your foot could solve the issue. Everyone has different feet, all depends on the arch in your foot on what running shoe is best for you and running style. There is shoes for high arch, low arch, normal, stability, flat feet, wide feet, narrow feet. You want it to be snug but not too snug. I find stability running shoes the best for me because I have between a low to normal arch. Hope this helped!

• Try wearing none and run in the sand. Or get some of those shoes that are more like a form fitting sock. Also don't run on flat surface like sidewalks. The whole "you need proper shoes for support" is a myth, we're meant to run barefoot.

What Girls Said 2

• Whatever kind of shoes people here will suggest, forget it. I'm assuming most have no idea what the hell they are talking about and even if they did they wouldn't know your feet and running style, to make a recommendation.

Go to sports store and ask for help. They will ask you to run in some shoes, sometimes even tape it and then give you proper shoes.

• Try to see if there are stores that will fit running shoes to you. they watch your run and check your gait and whatnot then figure out the type of shoe and/or insert you need. You'll probably pay more for your shoes but it will be worth it.