Does height really matter that much? Isn't it a bit unrealistic?

Hey GAG, I usually peruse the boards a lot and I notice a lot of girls usually like men taller than them. Which is perfectly fine, but more often than not, the height regulation they name is ENTIRELY too unrealistic and not relative to their own height at all.

I usually see the standard set at about 6'0 and above. Like seriously? Honestly? The girl in question is usually about 5'6 or so. You could honestly stand on your tip toes and still not reach they guy's face for a kiss. I'm sure people could name OTHER things besides kissing that tall height makes it easier to do but, let's keep the topic PG-13 at least.

So, guys, girls, penny for your thoughts. Is the height regulation for men a bit unrealistic?

(Also, don't think I'm biased, I always preach how unrealistic guys are about their beauty expectation for women. I'm also not asking this question out of spite. I'm 5'10, which is tall for an Asian, so I usually get along just fine.)

Okay guys just for clarification for those who did not bother to read the whole story. The problem isn't that girls want someone TALLER then them, the problem is when a girl wants someone who TOWERS over them, almost to the point where it gets in the way.

I'm talking a girl who is 5'4-5'6 and prefers guys to be 6'2 on up. Some of you may think this is a joke, but do a quick search on height preferences here on GAG, and you'll see quite a few girls who tend to WAY overshoot on their height.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it matters to me if I meet someone I really like . I always thought I had a preference for men a lot taller than me .. but my latest crush is 5 foot 3 ( the same as me ) .

I think for me , personality overrides any supposed preferences .

. For the record my previous two long term relationships were with a guy s who were 6 foot 3 and 6 foot 6 .

• 5 Foot 3...

6'3, and 6'6.

Am I the only who thinks that makes things at least a LITTLE bit awkward?

• spangle you're retarded girls want taller men for "protection" they feel safer. duh. Protection from lions? No from other people there's lots of weirdos in the world.

• What if you need protecting from the tall guy you're going out with ? He could seem perfectly normal at first and end up being abusive . If I went out with a guy who was my height , he would still be stronger than me .. and just as protective of me as a taller guy .

Retarded ? nice ...

What Girls Said 28

• Of course ideally a guy would be at least a little bit taller than me, more so that I'd feel like he can better protect me than any of that kissing stuff. however, considering I'm a 5'10" girl, it's not that easy to come by a guy who's taller than me, a nice guy, and decent look.

Aside from that though, I wouldn't really worry about these height expectations held by most girls for men. as a few people have already said, these are purely ideals. if a guy was really great but shorter than me, I'd still date him regardless.

• Well I like tall guys but I don't have a number in mind. I'm 5"7' and my boyfriend is 6"1'. I like his height and he likes mine. I find it annoying that dwarf girls want giant guys because let's be honest, if you're 4"11' you don't need a 6"4 man to "protect you" - a 5"9' would suit you just fine. 6"1' is a little tall for MY height and I'm considered tall so who the f*** are you kidding if you're a short nugget and claiming that you'll be pleased with nothing but tall guys. On my part, I've dated a 5"7' guy before and it felt pretty weird. Yes, it was convenient for kissing and hugging, but apart from that I wasn't as attracted physically. Maybe it's just the way I'm holded by a 5"7' man versus a 6 feet and over man. The hands either fall around my rib cage at the same level as his hands (if that makes sense) or they fall around my waist and butt. I prefer the latter option but it's just an observation.

• I've only dated taller guys, but that's not on purpose. I don't know. I'm 1.65 mts (5'4 ft) and my boyfriend is 1.83mts (6ft). I think that's a great height difference. whenhe puts an arm.around me, my shoulder fits in his armpit haha. and when I put my arm around me it's at a perfect height for embracing his waist. Same with sex positions, I feel it's very comfortable.

Aside of that, I haven't been interested in short guys because they haven't been interested in me. don't know why. I had a huuuge crush on a really short guy in HS, but he never paid attention to me so...

• I have a good friend who's a real shortie. 5'3. She likes her guys at least over 6 feet. She's always on our butts about how short she is and how much cooler and awesomer short girls are. "Short people rule!" "Short people are the best at hide and seek" My response? You don't need to be short to be on the roof." (Best hiding place ever!)

I have no idea why she likes guys tall! They're at least two heads taller than her! She can't even stand on her tip-toes, he has to either get on his knees or she needs to stand on something.

It is so freaking unrealistic! I'm 5'7. Really, if your at least an inch taller than me I'm good to go. Some people, brother. Some people.

• well I'm 5'6 and my boyfriend is 6'3 and I can reach to kiss him. Now 6'0 is something girls says because it surley is a nice height but also because it is a nice number. I mean do you really think we can pick out the guy who is 6'0 compared to the ones that are 5'11,5'10 or 6'1 unless they're standing right next too each other?

6 foot is a simple number that's why people says that. If you ask girls in Europe I'm sure most will say 180cm because it's a good number, better than 178cm or 183cm. It sounds good.

Most girls really only want you to be a bit taller than them, but of course tall is still attractive

• personally, I say I prefer guys to be tall, the way I say I prefer guys to be fit as hell with flawless skin and perfect muscles...I'm describing an ideal, not an expectation.

In reality, I can and have just as easily fallen for guys who are shorter, even half my celebrity crushes are shorter guys, it's not that big of a deal.

• Exactly :) . There's fantasy island .. and there's reality . Not in a " taking second best " way , just when I really fall for a guy those things don't really matter anymore .

• I don't see how it is unrealistic to want someone taller than us. Some PREFER them to be tall, but its not like they only date guys that reach that requirement.

Don't you have preferences for women?

• Height is unrealistic. Girls are just as superficial as guys only girls yell more publically on fb that guys are the superfical ones. I have heard this height stereotype before. I'm very short, and I prefer a guy who's tall enough that I can hug him and hear his heart beat.

• Girls on Facebook say guys are more superficial? Wow. Interesting.

Anyway, well said. And well done for being honest. I like your answer.

• oh yes, on fb girls are always saying sh*t like "oh I wish guys weren't so superficial" yet they sometimes won't go out with a guy based on his wallet or his height...it sucks that people are this way. I'm having trouble finding a guy who isn't just interested in sex, so I've kinda left the relationship scene for a bit... I wish the best of luck to you. remember, not all girls/guys are like that. it's just harder to find the ones with enough maturity to handle a relationship

• Yes depends how tall is she and what is her demand.I am 5'3 and I am fine with any guys above 5'6.If she is like 5'2 and she wants a guy who is 6' to me she is too much but well that's her preference =/

• I would prefer a taller man, but am not one of the women who wants a man towering over them. I'm 5'4, and find men over 6'0 a little intimidating. Someone a little closer to my height, 5'8-9ish maybe, would seem more proportionate to me.

• I live in Southeast Asia where most girls are petite.But guys who like me are mostly so tall that the top of my head only reach their shoulders.I guess guys that are too tall also find it hard to find girlfriends.I prefer someone just slightly taller than me as I would feel more comfortable during a conversation.I mean how to develop a great relationship when talking,which is the most basic thing,is already uncomfortable,right?

• Well If I could build my 'perfect man' I would want him to be tall, about 5'9 up, but in reality, it wouldn't bother me at all if he was the same size/ only a bit taller than me (I'm 5'4). Not sure about the being smaller than me though, honestly. I might care, might not. Hasn't happened yet (:

• It goes the same for men wanting a woman to be shorter or whatever.

Everyone has preferences and standards. If they are unrealistic, so what? It's detrimental only to them.

• I prefer a man who is still taller than me, even when I'm wearing my highest heels, around 1-2 inches taller is fine with me. And since I'm 5'2, that doesn't seem like an unrealistic target to me.

• Honestly, I think it's all a bunch of mumbo jumbo. Height doesn't matter to me unless it's avery large difference. There should be more to a guy than thier height. At least that's what I think.

• Thankyou. Such a true, and refreshing answer. There should be more to a guy than their height just as there should be more to a girl than their beauty/hotness whatever. Pi$$es me off when people put physical appearance ahead of character and personality.

• I prefer a guy to be taller than me but not much taller. 2 - 5'' taller is fine for me :)

• It's pretty much the only unrealistic physical standard we have, so cut us a break lol All guys want the prettiest girl at the expense of all else in order to look cool and impress their friends. They can be a fat, ugly slob, but will still insist that they need a thinner, more attractive girl. Guys are much more obsessed with the physical than us, so the least you can do is give us this one thing. Besides, most of us compromise on this eventually anyway.

• I agree with you. Some girls have unrealistic height requirements. If you are 5'3 you do not need someone who is 6'1 sorry. I'm 5'8 and I'd prefer a guy over 6'0 but I can't require it because so many tall guys go for the shortys. It's a shame, wasting their height like that. Short girls back off, you already get to be short and tiny, cut us tall girls a break (and your shorter guys) a break.

• Preference and ideal are difference. Anyways, the true answer is MOST girls prefer a taller guy. It can be difficult for girls to buy high heels that doesn't make them taller than their date.

• Well it's hot when a guy is at the height where the girl is right below his shoulders and you have to stand on your toes to kiss :)

• to tell the truth, I would never think of a guy who's shorter than me as a dating material as really I would want him to protect me, and to feel secure in his arms, if he's shorter I would feel that I'm the one leading it not him.

• I've never really understood the " protecting " thing . Protecting from what ? .. bears , lions ?

What if it you happen to need protecting from your "taller than you " guy ?

My ex was 6 foot 6 and he used to through me around like we were Sloth and Chunk from The Goonies .. If he had a violent streak , I don't doubt for a minute that he could have killed me with his bare hands .

• @EngineeringStudent .. I'd have to have a good think about that ... ?

I don't t think it really applies to me .. I have a dad and a step dad , I tend to like men who are more like my dad than my step dad ( hair color , eyes etc ) but not really height .

Most of my boyfriends have been a lot taller than me ( at least a foot taller ) .. but like I said before , they chose me , the guy I like now is 5 foot 3 :)

• Oh. I wasn't saying that it applied to you, just that that seems to be what women mean when they say taller guys make them feel protected.

• Girls talk about preference but in reality it doesn't matter all that much

I'm 5'9" and I'll be honest...I'll see a really cute guy and my next thought is "dang it...he's shorter than me". Its a bit of a disappointment...but if I got to know him and like him, his height wouldn't matter one bit. In fact, my current crush is on a guy three inches shorter than me and I know several girls who are dating/have dated guys shorter than them

• Don't put this all on girls. Guys also want a girl shorter than them. I don't think it is unrealistic or unreasonable. Some people may not like it but hey, life's not fair.

• Yes it does, and no it isn't. Tall guys just look hotter generally. Pure and simple.

• Guess relativity is thrown out the window.

• Joel David Moore looks hotter? Dalip Singh looks hotter? Peter Crouch looks hotter? And please don't use the "sorry no idea who they are excuse" for that is why the worldwide web has google.

...now I feel like a hypocrite for sinking to your level and gettin' all superficial...

• Hahaha I take it you're short :) Chill the f*** out, there are girls who are into shorter/average height guys too

• You brought up an interesting question. Our society is screwed in so many ways. Since everything is subjective my physical makeup is relevant to my perspective on this issue. I'm slightly taller than average and have a healthy weight, a bmi of 22.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I usually go for guys around my height or taller. I have dated shorter guys but I usually am not drawn to them immediately. There is no reason for this. I think I have been brainwashed.

I like girls too. And I tend to NOT be attracted to very thin gals. I like women that look like they enjoy indulging in life. That means I like hips, boobs and ass. I don't usually like thin women because to me it looks like they are denying themselves something. I don't usually immediately go for very heavy girls, but I don't dig stick figures, ribs are not my cup of tea. I like gals a bit bigger than me.

My boyfriend prefers thin gals. Thinner than me. Six-pack and hipbone gals. I can't live up to that and I get stupidly insecure and defensive and try to sell him on my ideas. Which is moronic because people like what they like and I have no power to change his mind. But somehow media does and it's ridiculous.

He has been sold on the thin woman ideals the same way I have been (somewhat) sold on a "guy-taller-than-me" ideal. And even though I know we have both been programed I can't undo it completely (I've never dated a guy more than 3'' shorter than me).

I do think people prefer the hard to achieve. Whether it is rubenesque women in times of famine or thin women in times of abundance. I have no clue why the taller man is idealized but just because we recognize the programming doesn't mean we can turn it off. It's just silly.

• thumbs down for talking about girls. disgusting.

• difference between attraction I can appreciate a women but there is NO sexual attraction that is a turn off.

• So thumbs sown for someone who has a different sexual orientation than you? Are you sure you want to be the type of person judges simply because I'm different than you?

I believe it's possible for people to have different opinions without someone being necessarily wrong. My guess is that there were times in your life that you didn't adhere to the socially constructed norm either. Maybe people didn't understand you. Are you sure you want to perpetuate bigotry and close mindedness?

• Don't confuse someone's ideal with someone's acceptable range, for one thing.

What someone writes down on paper is way different to what they could find themselves being attracted to in the real world. For instance, most guys write that they'd prefer a girl with a "C" cup or bigger -- but plenty of girls who are trim and have a B cup get along fine.

• I'm not sure if height matters as much, but when you first see someone, you size them up on their physical appearance, one of them being height.

I'm 5'6" and my boyfriend is 6'. It just so happened he was tall. But, I think 6' is perfect for me because I can still wear heels and my man will still be taller than me. My ex's were all shorter than 6', so it's not a "must", but it's a "nice to have" characteristic.

• Well. ong legged model girl like me likes tall guys but then I also date shorter guys. nothing below 5ft 9 though cause I am 6ft

i totally understand though, majority of the guys I meet are shorter than I am, if I am to date taller guys I would have webs growing up my crotch because I would not be getting any sex lol

It all depends on how good the guy is to me, shorter or taller.

What Guys Said 11

• Well said. Totally agree. It annoys me when on the two dating sites I'm on there are a fair few girls profiles who say they want a guy who is "at least 6'0" and some insist! Do they not realize that that is certainly above average for a man and that there's not actually a huge proportion of guys 6'0 plus? It annoys me because I'm like 5'8" or possibly 5'9". I kinda' feel discriminated against.

• so what most women want a taller man. just like most guys want a "hot" girl you don't think girls feel discriminated if a guy says that?

• Neither of those hypothetical statements would be anything I would even dream of putting on my profile, neither do any of them apply to me just to be clear. The point I'm making is that whilst guys should not put that kind of thing on their profiles, girls should not really be putting $hit about guys must be so tall on their profiles either. I'm not saying they don't have a right to their preferences, but why put it so blatantly on their profiles?

• Why not just steer clear of those that don't fit their preference without making the not tall guys feel $hit simply on reading their profiles? That's what I do. I don't have a list on my profile of what kind of girls I'm not interested in I just steer clear (for lack of a better phrase) of the girls who aren't my type.

Wow... I didn't realize until now how much this bugs me. Principles man. Some people lack basic good principles. Not just girls for the record. Plenty of guys too.

• women think tall men have tall penisesssssssssssssssssssss

• It does. Some people will say, No...love cannot be questioned". Of course it will be questioned when your at your wedding or dancing or at a party or ... The man will feel insecure for feeling so short everyday, and the women is forced to not be able to wear high heels.

It matters a lot.

• Too much of a difference would freak me out, I definitely don't want a girl who is like one meter smaller than me haha

• i think girls are just speaking in ideals.

I'd like a D cup girl but hey, if she's awesome I can go down to a B just fine.

I've never known height to be a major barrier with average sized women as long as the guy is bigger than them. Guys shorter than 6 foot often have it better actually -they stand out less and look less gangly and awkward, more hot girls seem to be towards 5 foot (too small for over 6 foot guys) than 6 foot too.

• I agree is unrealistic, height is not useful anymore because people don't haunt for their food anymore or we are not in danger of animals or other dangers like that anymore. Height is simply cosmetic, that's it.

• nope. feel safer with a bigger/taller guy.

• I carry a pocket knife. Not many carry guns and I will carry a gun because I'm moving to Wisconsin and they allow conceal carry.

• Ok Macgyver lol...

• In reality, it only matters if you allow it to matter.

• If a girl really has an affinity for a guy but blows him off SIMPLY because of his height, that isn't a girl I would want to be involved with.

With that being said, a lot of times being taller is more appealing to women. But it doesn't mean you've struck out instantly as some guys feel. Height should not be the defining factor of your sense of self worth or your value to other people (unfortunately it is that way for many).

• It is not a deal breaker I think, but it does help

• Man you keeping it real. I recommend reading the French renaissance philosopher Montaigne - he was short and he basically laments if a man is tall, it covers up lots and lots of blemishes, and shortness is a critical blow to a man's attractiveness.

Also, as you've alluded to, just as it is not always advantageous to date the best looking girl you see, it is equally flawed to use height as the major criterion for selecting mate. But try explaining that to a girl!

• Hahaha! Right on man. Also there's a theory that smaller guys, smaller people actually, generally speaking tend to have a better life expectancy, based on height alone. Obviously there are other factors mainly revolving around lifestyle. Anyway, guys at around 5'6 to 5'9 (includes me) may have a better life expectancy on account of their height at least. So I suppose there's a plus side. Something to do with metabolism or something I think.

• Girls are hypocritical when it comes to height. I've always been attracted to tall girls, I find them way more appealing and they are a better match for a tall guy like me, but if I so much as mention my preference short girls get all passive aggressive and mean while at the same time they disregard short guys and are very straightforward about wanting tall ones.

• I've never thought height matters that much - and I'm surprised at how many girls on GAG say it matters to them. I wonder if it's the sort of unrealistic preference that guys have when they say they want a fully sexualised great-in-the-sack virgin bride?

• Guys are way more superficial dude, trust me. Height is hardly a sacrifice we need to make. I'm just trying to spread a bit of perspective. If you're going to ask for a tall guy, why ask for a guy who is literally a towering Goliath next to you. It's weird.