Everyones' opinion on looks & popularity? (answers from both genders preferred)

The most important(unanimously, sadly) features when it comes to most(not all) people when they are looking for a potential boyfriend or girlfriend:looks & popularity.

1. Looks:Is it simply the "popular" look? Are there certain "features" that both genders look for when searching for a boyfriend/girlfriend? Will a nice body make up for a not-so-nice face? Will a nice face make up for a not-so-nice body?

2. Popularity("social status" if you will): If a guy isn't popular, but is still handsome with a cool personality, does he still have a chance at that popular girl he gets along well with? If a girl isn't popular, but is still pretty damn cute with a good personality, does she still have a chance with that popular guy she gets along well with?

What are your thoughts folks? Looking for random peoples' opinion so I'm expecting nothing less than the truth as you see it.

Most Helpful Girl

• 1. One thing I've found to be true is the person of your affections becomes more good-looking to you the more you like them. It's weird, but it's true. Of course there needs to be an initial level of beauty, but appearance becomes secondary when true feelings are involved.

And there isn't a popular look. People are generally more attracted to people who look like them -- it's scientifically proven too. However, more symmetrical faces tend to be more attractive, and in each era there is a popular look, and people who resemble celebrities will gain more favors.

I would prefer an average body and pretty face to a good body and average face. Because it is really easy for a person to sculpt a nice body with the right determination. But the lowest starting point I can accept is "average", not fat or scrawny.

2. I assume you're not talking about the superficial high-school sort of popular. Social acceptance is important. A person with a good personality and good face but few acquaintances and social ties will inevitably have some sort of flaw, be it a horrific past or hidden identity. And if his/her lack of popularity is due to some social ineptitude, then the popular person and the unpopular person can't populate the same social circles without problems arising sooner or later. And no matter how in love the two may be, a popular person -- someone who enjoys social interactions and public attention -- would find it impossible to sacrifice social life for love.

• That first sentence is pretty deep, really good answer. I wouldn't say you're stupid :)

What Girls Said 4

• Looks: Tall, Great Smile, NOT SKINNY! :) but def' No more than 260... I like em fluffy or solid so 220 - 260 height 6'1 - 6'8 (Because I'm tall)

Popularity: If he's handsome with a cool personality he's popular in my book. But... He must be God fearing or he doesn't stand a chance with me.

• My school doesn't really have the popular thing going on. You either have friends or you don't. So it's more of the popular look thing your talking about. I look for a guy who is handsome and has a cool personality (not douche-bag, more like the surfer-guy cool I'm used to), isn't a under-achiever, has morals, easy to talk to and who I probably already know (I'm the kind of girl who ends up with a good friend). I really like guys in water sports though... I have a huge crush on a water polo guy, he's also been a friend for a long time. Plus he's freaking cute and a more than decent guy. He plays music and has told me I'm a fabulous actress and singer.

Face is more important than body. Personality is more important than face. And if you will go to the school performance just because I asked you to be there for me, your a winner for me.

• 1) I find the popular look is attractive, but honostly I can't see me dating anyone that matches the "popular" description. Features I think all depends on the person, like a friend of mine likes tall guys with big distinct(?) noses. I prefer average height with sharp facial features. Nice body does make up, my friend is dating a guy because although his face wasn't the best he had a great bod.

2) Yes. I hope so!

• This is something I wish I'd taken advantage of when I was in school. Looks are almost 100% controllable. There is no reason to walk around with a bad body or being unattractive. Most people can be good looking and have the right look, but only a few of us really do it.

Good looks and social skills and being fun = attractive

Body is generally more important then face, even though face does matter. If your face is average, work on a hot body and you'll be hot. If your face is beautiful but you have an average body, you'll be cute (less then hot). If your face is beautiful but you have a bad body, you're not hot. If you're a butter face, make sure your body is really nice and you dress very well and you are stylish

You don't have to be super poplar, but you do need to fit in if you want to date a popular person.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't go with anything mainstream, I could care less if she was unpopular or had a popular look. My favorite girls are, short, petite, shy rocker girls with their own crazy, unique style. Face is more important than body, but contrary to what many women think, most guys don't want a supermodel. I don't care if she's not popular, as long as she's open to me and we have a great connection, I'll be happy.

• dude you need to break up that one global question into 15 different questions.

• Honestly, popular girls annoy me... Or at least the ones who live up to their stereotype and are shallow, vain and condescending annoy me. My kind of girl doesn't need to follow the popular look. I actually prefer cute, shy girls who stay away from the crowd.