Am I weird or just old fashioned... or just weird?

Okay, so this is me.. I like being independent... but I want a guy who is able to take care of me... protect me.. you know.. be a man... But at the same time, I want to be able to pick and choose my own battles... I guess I just like a gentlemen who just knows when to stay out of the way...

Do I make any sense?

I was in a car once with a bunch of people, one being my crush... and I forgot what we were talking about and something came up that I was in the way and I would shield him and then without thinking, I'm like "you're suppose to protect me" -- lol-- and then everyone just got silent.. LOL

Maybe it's the way I was brought up? My parents are super traditional and are LEGAL immigrants and "the one's place is at home" type of deal, which I disagree with, but I'm ALL for women's rights and stuff... I just like a man to be a man and be able to take care of a lady...

Is that so wrong? LOL

Most Helpful Guy

• well with all this e-MAN-cipation going on(in my view a not always a good thing when every woman wants to chase money, hunting traits, and us men becoming softer, staying in our cages with the kids), still women expect us men to act like the biologically stronger species in 'danger-mode' situations like we did when still living in rock cages.nowadays women have careers like men always did in traditional situations like also mine was(daddy working mommy taking care of us)but at the same time want men with the traditional daddy qualitees. if ladies want to have a man who takes care of them like their daddys,why don't women stay home and let us new daddys take care of everything! we ain't supposed to do sh*t until you women respect our manhood for what it is. so to all eMANcipated women:we ain't supposed to protect you as you women ain't supposed to stay home and take care of us and make us dinner and carry our children!WHOS your daddy! all I'm saying is... we men are confused sometimes in these modern days. or perhaps I'm speaking for myself.. hahaha comments welcome

What Guys Said 8

• Why must you write 'LOL' after your sentences? Are you really laughing out loud? Do you find all of this funny? I know it's meant to 'break tension' that you might be feeling by raising this question, but it truly is unnecessary and down right annoying.

Now, on to your question. It's not wrong per se. It's your choice in what you want. However, if you say you want to be independent and your guy tries to protect you, would you get all bitchy and mad at him? I find girls want to be independent in some aspects and dependent in others, but what those aspects are is never clear and varies from girl to girl. From a guy's perspective, women like you are a head-ache because we protect when you don't want us to and we don't when you do want protection. It's, 'I want protection under these circumstances', none of which are ever communicated to the guy. We either end up being patronizing or not being a man. No guy wins in these scenarios. The position that you describe you want is having your cake and eating it too.

I also think that this whole 'entitlement of protection because I'm a women' is very played out and pisses a lot of guys off. Don't get me wrong, I'd protect my women to the best of my capabilities, and I think every guy on here would, but only because I want to and not because I'm expected to. Huge difference there. Noone likes to be ordered around and told what they should be doing.

• Most women are like you.

Is it wrong? Yes. You want to pick and choose liberal or conservative gender roles as you see for getting all the benefits of both.

That said you may find what you want because a generation often have been raised essentially expecting this. But a lot of them do snap. So it's probably getting harder to find.

Basically you want to be an equal partner, except when you want him to look after you.

This is not a good deal for him.

• There is nothing wrong with you. I like a girl that can stand up for herself. But there are also times that I like protecting her too.

• It seems like you're a bit of a hybrid. Personally, I would want a girl who would be able to take care of herself, but not be afraid to let me step in of something came up, i.e., another guy creeping on her. If that's what you mean, that is.

• So lets see if I'm understanding you correctly here.

You want to have the freedom to be who you want, when you want.

And your guy, has to always be a man, in the female vision.

So your guy has to stick to his gender role, and you can do whatever the f***.

Huh. Well. I hope you find the right guy.

• It's a paradox - you want to be a lady but still having balls.

• LOL! There IS not right and wrong...only those who you are compatible and can mesh with...and those who you cannot...Did somebody tell you you were wrong? Or whacked?

• You are normal but some what unique.

What Girls Said 3

• I agree with you, I think a lot of women think that being taken advantage is being independent and I don't agree with that. I think that women deserve to be respected and treated like ladies you know. Like one thing that seems small but bugs me is when the guy walks on the inside of the sidewalk, like the girl is protecting him. I think it's feminine.

• Wow! I'm the complete opposite: I'm extremely independent, self-sufficent, and hate to rely on others. Heck I even take Krav Maga classes so that I don't have to have someone hover over me. While you are the opposite of me, I love diversity so who cares what other people say? What one person calls 'weird' is another's normal.

• You're not weird. I'm the same exact way! lol