Over half of people think they are above average looking...

I heard a statistic, that over half of people, actually it might be around 80%, don't quote me, believe they are above average. Yet, that's just not possible. That would mean that most people are really good looking, but that's not the case. I thought it was interesting...thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well the problem with that is that most people have different opinions on what is handsome/beautiful so they might subconsciously think themselves better than average, because "average" sounds boring and plain or something like that. If someone made a poll with defined traits that are desirable and what are not, maybe if let's say 80% of women found 6'1" is the ideal height of a man, then men that were that tall or close to it would probably rate themselves 10s and 9s while the shorter and taller would rate themselves less. But as long as the question is more general than defined, then most people will probably see themselves as above average.

• I assure you if I posted a my pic without my face covered, no one would disagree.

• Ah but the proof is in my life experiences, hard to fit in a 500 char comment box haha.

What Guys Said 10

• It's like Lake Wobegone...where all the children are above average!

I guess mots people feel the average person is really really ugly!

• Every one is very good looking to someone, but bloody ugly to others, which is a good thing, because if every one was good looking or ugly, then women would be boring and men plain.x

• It depends how you define "average". Maybe there are loads of people who are very slightly above average, and a small minority who are just such horrifically grotesque monsters (think Andrew Lloyd Webber / Susan Boyle) that they drag the average right down?

• I'm of the 20% who KNOWS he is below average looking, in fact, I am way below average looking haha.

• It might depend on who you ask really.

• I feel like you're over-reacting and you're not ask bad looking as you claim to be

• just show everyone...come on

everyone is curious :)

• Technically, no one *is* actually average. In fact, I think it's somewhat hard to put an 'average' on looks in the first place.

• Ahh People perception of themselves, but certainly there has been a growing trend in narcissism. I suppose people accessorise more. follow celebrities and adapt them as role models.

• Everyone's standards and tastes are different...that';s probably where the conflict occurs.

• People have no concept of what average is. They only base it on their small group of associates

• Was the study done on American women, because 80% seems kind of low if so.

• The new average is above average lol :p

What Girls Said 3

• I think the "average" looking person is very plain. I don't think I'm plain. But I don't think I'm stunningly gorgeous, either.

I also don't know if 80% of people really think that about themselves.

• ...80% Believe* they are above average, just means they have high self esteems. Like you said it just doesn't sound possible that its actually real. Everyone has their own definition of what they consider attractive so that also has to do with it.

• I find it hard to believe that 80% of people believe that, but maybe that's because my friends and I are all well aware that we're not above average at all. I mean none of us are obese or even really overweight so we've got that on our side, but facial features wise there's just nothing there. :( Sorry friends.