What are the hair options for an African American male?

im sick of the same low cut hair style on AA males.I have the old fashion nappy head but I take care of it.I tried growing an afro but my hair is too short and too much work? Is there any other styles I can take? Or how can I change my hair texture completely?

Most Helpful Girl

• You can get a relaxer or texturizer to change your hair texture. there's dreads, different types of braids, afro, waves, mohawk, you can have like defined culry style depending on your texture (if your don't have the right texture to achieve it you can soften your hair with a texturizer. You can keep your hair relatively low and but dye which would look totally different even though it is the same style. You can look at hairstyles for African American women and try to adapt them to make them more masculine, or you can look at Caucasian or Asian hairstyles and find a way to make them work for your hair texture. You can create your own hairstyles. As long as you have hair there is a lot you can do. Don't just have a low cut hair style just because society says that's the only thing that looks right on African American men.

What Girls Said 5

• Permed/Relaxed, Dreads shave it all off, Mohawk, Maybe a Will.i.am hair style, Waves and so forth. sengook.com

• why would you change the texture? its your hair

• twists

• grow dreads.

Or get a cool hair cut.

I always find it amusingly cute when guys get symbols or words cut into there head.

Don't get a relaxer, every blk guy I've seen with that looked ridiculous

• Gosh, don't you know of any salons that are just for African American people? In my old neighborhood there were barber shops that specialized in handling AA hair types. You can have it chemically permed and straightened out. Though you have to see a professional.

Sounds like you are bored with your look, maybe you could try different clothes style also to change your look. Try browsing photos on the internet you will find lots of ideas.

What Guys Said 8

• Dreads on the head, or happy to be nappy. My girlfriend wears weaves and wigs, though if you did that you'd probably have to find a dress to go with it. ; - )

• As a fellow black male, I feel required to answer this question. :-P

You could go with the bro-hawk, or you could go with a fade/taper with a design cut into it.

I personally go with the basic taper cut, and I might pursue getting waves in my hair.

Also...don't forget that you can dye your hair, too!

• Go with the Gumby.

• Pick up some Olive Oil and relax it then.

• Braids?

• you have 3 options really. buzz cut (or crew cut), afro, corn rows.

OR you can rock the old school eraser head I would respect the sh*t out of that

• Afro, jheri curl, corn rows, dreadlocks or a shaved head lol

If you don't like those typical hair styles, try these lol

link

link

link

• buzz cut, 360 waves