I'm looking for a new book to read?!

Has anyone read a good book lately? I need a new book but would like to hear if anyone has read anything good that they recommend? I like all types of books. Thanks

Could you tell me a little about the book without spoiling the story thanks :) xx

Most Helpful Girl

• Oooh yeah, I hear Handmaiden's Tale is exemplary. Also, Pillars of the Earth.

Forgive me if my thoughts are a little all over the place, and please feel free to ask for clarification if they are.

My first recommendation always is and always will be Wuthering Heights, followed by To Kill a Mockingbird (although that's more for the US). The Kite Runner is beautifully written, although some prefer A Thousand Splendid Suns. The Book Thief was amazing as well, but terribly *heavy*. The Picture of Dorian Gray is phenomenal and so is Count of Monte Cristo, and neither are overwhelming in any way. Tenant of Wildfell Hall is a good girl power book.

I really enjoyed Manhattan Transfer. I did not particularly enjoy The Sun Also Rises, but it's definitely worth a read. The Sound and the Fury is a very, very difficult read, but SO WORTH IT. It's life changing.

If you're into plays, don't pass Hamlet up. Best play ever.

I do not suggest A Song of Ice and Fire wholeheartedly - I have many reservations about the way it is written, although the plot is decent.

What Guys Said 10

• Nothing compares to "Hostage to the Devil", by Malachi Martin. It will literally be glued to your hands. Also "Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole - hilarious.

• I just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale. It's a satire of feminism. Thanks to the extremists, the US has turned into a dytopian society where women are "protected" from the outside, and are used to strictly procreate. Quite an interesting book, I'd say.

• Light, but funny, real and resonant: "In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks" and " Not Taco Bell Material". Both by Adam Carolla.

• I was going to suggest the song of ice and fire.

• Ever been curious about the history of the fart? :P

link

Read that...

• The Naked Sun - Isaac Asimov

• “The book focuses on the unusual traditions and culture of Solarian society. The planet has a rigidly controlled population of twenty thousand, and robots outnumber humans ten thousand to one. People are strictly taught from birth to despise personal contact. They live on huge estates, either alone or with their spouse only. Communication is done via holographic telepresence (called viewing, as opposed to in-person seeing).”

• Light reading or heavy reading?

• The partner by John Grisham

• The Manipulated Man - Esther Vilar.

• Haa, I don't think she would wanna read that one.

• It's a backlash against feminism and it pretty much goes on about how men are the ones being victimized, not women.

• It's an interesting read.

• the new testament...

What Girls Said 6

• Girl Interrupted: a girl who goes to a crazy hospital, but no one knows her whole story.(she's not really crazy)

Cut: A girl who cuts herself, and has fantasies of her killing herself.

Speak: a girl who was raped and doesn't talk to anyone about it.

• Anna Karenina - Russian epic with two love stories woven into it (one happy one not so happy) and lots of interesting social commentary that still holds true today.

• A Song of Ice and Fire is an amazing series. Takes a little getting into and they are massive books... And there's 6 o them out ATM.

If you wanted something a bit less daunting then I recommend The Fallen Series :)

Look them up :)

• Try The Secret!

• I've been listening to the Stephanie Plum series on audiobook. Nice fluff with some detective stuff. I'm enjoying it.

• The Host - Stephanie Meyer