Telling a girl she looks "great"

Now, I know that different girls react to different things in different ways and that there are certain things you should say to "girlfriends" girl "friends" and random women; I get that and that's all but fine and dandy. But when I say a girl looks "great", does she assume I'm saying she's cute, hot, sexy, pretty, gorgeous, beautiful. I just told this girl that I think may like me that she looks "great" and she said "awe" but I really want to know what might be going through her mind.

The reason I told her she looked "great" instead of something like pretty or cute is because I didn't want to use the "wrong" word and offend her.

Best answer goes to the person who can honestly explain to me how this girl saw this as. COMPLETE HONESTY

Most Helpful Girl

• No offense to any of the previous answerers, but I love compliments! Who doesn't? It makes you feel appreciated. Not to mention when a guy says it, it's flattering..regardless of whether or not you're attracted to him.

I don't have a problem with the word "great." If a guy said "wow you look great" I wouldn't analyze it and think, "what did he mean?!" I'd say "thanks!" or "awe" (like in this case) and be appreciative.

Here's the thing: if you think a girl looks great or cute or sexy or beautiful...tell her. It doesn't matter what comes to mind. If it's a compliment and she's down-to-earth, she's going to be appreciative :)

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 13

• Hard to say without seeing your facial expression, body posture, voice infliction . . . the word could be taken many ways depending on how you deliver it. Does it really matter though? You gave her a compliment, she accepted it, mission accomplished. I don't care what he says to me, as long as my guy says one caring thing a day it keeps me happy. Even just saying, I'll see you at home love.

• theres this guy at work that says I look "nice," I guess its sort of along the same thing as "great?" anyway, when he says that, or even if he said I looked great, I would think that my clothes, hair and/or makeup looked good for that particular day. I don't think I would necessarily think yoiu thought me as pretty, but rather you were complimenting my appearance. So, if you really want the girl to think you think she is cute or pretty, I'd use that particular word.

• Why is that so; why would you not think he was saying "pretty" or "cute"?

• the word "great" is such a general word, its used in so many different contexts. Its hard to explain, like I said, if you said you looked pretty today, I would think you thought me pretty. In an indirect way I might take it that the guy thought I was pretty or cute, or whatever, because why would you tell me I looked great if you didn't like the way I looked?

• Well, if I said pretty, you would think pretty because I'm saying the actual word, but shouldn't "great" and pretty be synonymous with each other?

• Hm.. well if someone said that to me I'd actually be happy because I'd take it as a compliment that doesn't center on my looks. If you said I looked great I'd think you were speaking about my overall appearance, including choice of clothing and hairstyle, etc. So I think that's a good compliment because its a compliment on something I put effort into instead of just my looks or even my looks at all. :)

• ugh I am so sick of the moderators on here with their power trips... I just answered this and it got deleted...

• I hate the moderators on here...they've got a power problem, as you said

• that's tough because like a lot of girls have said it depends. I, personally, take it just as a friendly compliment from most people. However, if my boyfriend tells me I look great it depends on what I'm wearing and what I'm wearing it for. If I'm getting dressed up for a family event where I should be modest I interpret it as looking pretty, if we are going out to a dance where I'm aiming to look hot and be noticed then I interpret it as looking sexy. It all depends on context. Most of the time it's going to be taken as more of a friendly gesture because family will also tell you that you look great, but it depends on the girl too and if she's aware that you like her and if she feels the same way then she may take it as something more.

• Great to my friends and I all turns into the word that they prefer to hear from the person saying it. 'Great' is the perfect ambiguous term.

The downfall, of course, is that if she doesn't like you she can take it as a friend telling you you look great. But if she likes you the word she prefers the most (pretty, cute, etc) will be what she thinks.

• well I can't read her mind of course but if a guy came to me and said you look great. I would think at 1st, he was trying to hit on me then my mind would switch of he's just a nice guy giving me a complement and ima wear this outfit again! lol

also I'm assuming he's talking about my overall body not just my face.

• I would assume you meant I'd look out together and good

I wouldn't assume beautiful or anything

• I get that all the time you look great or you look really good. It makes me feel good about myself. It is a real esteem booster. I don't think she was offended. Women love compliments, you did good.

• I would think that it means beautiful and healthy. But not so much on sexiness.

• i hate that word. I get really offended with it, because I never know what the definition is.

• Honestly, the word "great" is pretty nice for a girl! It makes us feel good, BUT if you really want her to feel good, tell her she looks "beautiful" or "gorgeous". Don't use words like "cute" cause it makes us feel like 5 year olds.

• I agree with peace here

But I hate compliments of any sort.i get extremely angry

• Oh is it...? I think you are from another world. :P

• Omg me too, whenever someone compliments me I believe they're just being nice. When I feel I look bad I don't need anyone complimenting me.

• This is the kid of answer that just pisses me the f*** off

What Guys Said 1

• I will suggest you be specific what you like about the gal. If she looks pretty say it..If her clothes are attractive tell her. Be Open..She will not kill you if you give her compliments. Do go into the girls just give compliments. They secretly like it only if the girl is full of confidence. :)