What are your favorite healthy recipes?

I'm looking to try new things! Preferably no meat since I'm a vegetarian but you can share for others' benefits! I'm looking for really unique things and lots of vegetables!

Most Helpful Girl

• OMG. I am doing a low carb low fat low sugar thing right now. And I made spaghetti squash with tomato sauce (a jarred kind) and ToFurky Italian Sausage. Better than if it was spaghetti and italian sausage. I am HOOKED on the fake sausages now. Yummy flavor, low fat, and no nasty pieces of fat that you bite into:)

• If you started a low carb thing, and ended up at spaghetti, I think you may have taken the wrong path.

• Hey anonguy apparently you didn't read that it was spaghetti SQUASH. It's a squash that you can run a fork through and it makes strands like pasta. Lots of vegetarians and vegans eat it instead of pasta and its yummy since it's squash and has much more nutrients with very little calories.

What Guys Said 7

• My mom's tabouli. It's so delicious and vegetarian. It may be something you've never tried if you haven't had a lot of middle eastern food.

It's a salad, but contains wheat, so it's easy to fill up on a big bowl of it. It's still really healthy and low calorie.

I don't know her exact recipe, but I'm sure you could find a ton on the internet, and choose which you prefer. Of course, I've had tabouli at lots of other restaurants, but my mom's is the best.

• My lifestyle is very busy so I never really have time to get fresh food.

My pre-battle meal is:

A can of plain tuna (drained)

Brown or white rice

Canned beans cooked with garlic powder and onion.

Hot sauce

Lots of complex carbs and protein. Might not taste the best, but it will keep you full all day during intense exercise. It's also dirt cheap.

• Soybeen milk

• why vegetarians

• Rice, deep fried tofu, and eggplant stir fried with hosin sauce.

• Chicken Picatta with wheat pasta

• subway.

What Girls Said 7

• Roasted veggies marinated in balsamic dressing.

Flatbread pizza with roasted veggies, feta, and drizzled with balsamic.

In both cases the balsamic gives them a sweet flavor. I love it.

I also do a similar combo of the roasted veggies over pasta with lots of feta, and drizzle it with olive oil, coarse ground pepper, and a little lemon juice. The flavor is really simple, but nice.

Hummus and pita chips is always a bonus. Hummus is great for controlling cholesterol and keeping blood sugar under control.

Apples dipped in a sauce made from plain yogurt, a tad bit of cream cheese and a bit of cinnamon. I just kinda mix and add until I get the flavor I like, but this dip is tasty.

Puree fresh fruit, add some sugar/splenda/agave nectar/whatever your choice is, and pour into popsicle molds. Instant fruit bars that you aren't paying like 4 dollars for 6 or whatever it is. I found that they were a great substitute for the ones you find in the store.

Vanilla yogurt with fresh berries = instant dessert and it's healthy.

Simple tacos with beans, avocado, cheese (rice too, if you'd like). Sounds kinda plain and boring in text, but the combo is delish if you love those things.

Breakfast sandwich on a double wheat English muffin, egg, cheese, mashed up avocado (or slices. I found that when they're mashed up, they stay in the sandwich better), and tomato. Delish and healthy.

Also, get some flax seed, grind it into a meal of sorts, and sprinkle it on just about anything (store it in the freezer). It's flavorless, for the most part, but adds that extra omega fatty acid to your meal. Very heart healthy. I add it to sauces, sprinkle it on sandwiches (on top of the mayo/mustard/whatever you use so it'll stay put), mix it in with scrambled eggs, yogurt, whatever I'm baking, etc. It's pretty versatile.

• I am poor... but like to be healthy! A lot of times for dinner I have steamed brown rice or wild rice, finely chopped carrots and celery and if we have any other veg in the fridge that night (like zucinni or mushrooms) I will throw that in their too. I also buy mung beans in bulk, and sprout them and add that to the rice too. no oils, just a slice of avocado and some lemon or lime juice. All the veg I add raw. It is basically the insides of vegetarian sushi! You can sub the rice for quinoa to try something different. Soaps are awesome and are really cheap, my favorite soup is leek soup, I have not made it myself I'm not sure if it uses creme and if it would be good without it though. There are tons of ingredients online for vegetarian food I just do what's available and what is cheap... a good snack is a stalk of celery, with any kind of nut butter and raisins on top.

• with that rice mix I also wrap it in romaine lettuce leaves and eat it sort of like a taco

• I want to try that, but I never have the time to get fresh foods.

• I don't necessarily have any favorites, just a ton of stuff I like to eat.

I am just now getting into baking and am getting better at it, so I am sure I will find something.

• 0|0
  • Apple Strudel

Ingredients

5 large golden delicious apples

1 cup unsweetened raisins

1 cup chopped roasted walnuts

3 tbsp. honey

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

12 layers phyllo dough

4 tbsp olive oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stack layers of dough brushing each layer with butter before topping with next layer. Brush top layer with butter. In a bowl combine apples, raisins, vanilla honey nutmeg and cinnamon. Spoon filling down the left longside of phyllo rectangle. Fold top edge down and bottom edge up by about 2 inches to cover filling. Roll dough up along long side to enclose filling. Spray log with olive oil . Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden. Not sure on the calories to this one...just enjoy a piece and its all good! For more recipes... no-excuse-fitness.org

• Anything with hummus

• Weed brownie, weed Loli, weed everything