Do women know about fashion a lot better than men?

In other words, does a woman have a right to tell a man what to wear, but men don't have the right to tell women what to wear?

It shouldn't seem like men don't know nothing about women's fashion, but women know about men's fashion.

It always has to seem like women are more superior than men, which is disagree.

I can see why women hate it, if a man takes a long time looking in the mirror or getting dressed.

Most Helpful Girl

• Knowing about fashion isn't a free pass to tell people what to wear. They can give advice, yes, they can't oblige you to wear this or that.

Some women don't know a lot about fashion, I don't know what clothes are in this season and what not, I just buy something when it fits me and if it looks nice (and isn't too expensive!). I don't really have things that don't match. Ok, I'm not gonna wear a blue shirt underneath a red sweater, because I think that's too much color for me. If someone else wears it and pulls it off, who am I to say: "oh honey, don't wear this, this isn't stylish"?

I would give advice if they ask me to, or if they leave with something that looks ridiculous.

Some guys know quite a lot about fashion, some guys I know always know how to dress for the occasion, some guys don't. Some women do, some women don't.

But overall I do feel women are more "involved" in fashion because, ...it's more our thing. Like you guys have cars, we have clothes and fashion. That doesn't mean that women can't know anything about cars, but it's just more of a guy thing to me I guess.

What Girls Said 11

• I don't think this is necessarily true. If you look at many high-end, name-brand designers, many of them (if not the vast majority) are male. Gay, usually, but male nonetheless.

As a general rule, however, women are socially more interested in fashion as a whole. This isn't to say that men are oblivious to what looks good and what doesn't. I know many men who take the time to fix their hair a certain way, make sure they wear nicely fitting jeans, a peacoat instead of a sweatshirt, and polished boots instead of a beat up pair of sneakers.

Really, when it comes to fashion, it's not so much man vs. woman, because many other factors come into play. Such as, but not limited to, wealth, upbringing, sexual orientation, style, laziness, hobbies, creativity, and even something as simple as color-blinded (which is much more common in men than women).

In other words, a man has every right to tell a woman what looks good and what doesn't. So long as this opinion derives from fashion-sense, and not, say, hm, jealousy. The whole "your skirt is way too short, who are you trying to impress?" line. That's not quite the same.

However, my boyfriend is a good example of this. I'm lucky that he loves shopping as much as I do, and he oftens complains about a lot of the more recent female fashions. Summer dresses and cowgirl boots together is overdone, for instance. I agree. And I'm lucky we agree on many of these types of fashion choices, too, because he makes a point to tell me whenever he likes my outfit for that day, which is always nice to hear (and not something I expect most boyfriends do) since he's said before "I hate women's clothing; it's all so ugly nowadays."

Anyway, my point is this. I look to my boyfriend all the time for advice and approval when it comes to my wardrobe. He's honest, to the point, and usually, very right. Plus, it makes getting dressed in the morning a little more fun. ;)

• Not I. I haven't found a matching pair of socks for years.

Generally girls care more, though that doesn't necessarily mean that they know better. Many of the more sartorially oriented of our gender seem compulsively bound to three-minute trends, which casts serious doubts on their judgment. The mark of a well-dressed woman is that she looks elegant and comfortable at the same time, and there aren't many of those.

To answer the second part of your question, it's silly to let a woman tell you what to wear unless you respect her taste and it makes life easier to take her advice. That's true of taking opinions in any setting, though.

Just never let anyone persuade you to wear sequins or cowboy boots.

• I have seen my mom choose outfits for my dad for years, now he's got the hang of it and he'd be all like 'hun those colors don't match!' or 'that's so right for your skin tone!' and I'm listening to the and dying with laughter. So I do think that women know a little bit more but men can too if taught well.

• It's not that we know men's fashion but we know hat we think looks best on our guys

We don't want you walking around looking bad on our arms, we want you looking good :)

Same as you don't want us dressed badly

• Women usually have a more visual eye when it comes to fashion. So yes, women usually know more about fashion. I do think a woman can voice her opinion on what she'd like her guy to wear, but shouldn't force a guy to wear what she wants him to. And fashion is a 'feminine' thing which is why women and gay men are more into it than straight men.

• no everyone is different. some of the best designers are male. generally it is more dominated by females as we are expected to maintain an image.

• I think it varies according to persons. Some girls nd boys,they take fashion nd fashion trends are passion nd they know more about fashions nd some are not. Itz only depends on our taste.

LuLu Hypermarket's website contains new fashion trends.

• yes gay guys no

• you meant I disagree* right.

Most women do know a lot about fashion a lot,note: Most,NOT ALL. (Some have terrible fashion sense... ) Have you ever notice that MOST men hate shopping for clothes. they'd rather look at cars, electronics then go clothes shopping. They don't even care how they look. My man and some of my friends if given a choice,would go office/formal party in shorts...

Most women love shopping,they know what color would look good on their guy,which tie would go fine with black shirt,etc. They even shop for their guys, why?Cause they like to see their men look their best. I think gf/wife have a right to suggest you to what to wear. (and vice versa) But whether you listen to them or not,is your choice. You should do what you like.

Oh and that's just stupid. NO,we don't think we are superior than men cause we are not.Nor are Men superior to us. so stop whining please. Smh

(PS- You're the one who SUCKS big time. Your username and question shows that you have bad attitude toward women.)

• I think this varies more from person to person than it does from male to females.

• Some guys do have fashion sense and others don't. The same things goes for girls. Some women do have fashion sense and others don't. I think that the reason that women typically know more about men's fashion than men know about women's fashion is because women shop for men's clothes for the men in their life more than men shop for clothes for the women in their life.

• But that's just what you think, you don't know for sure.

• or maybe you could be right

• first, men themselves don't like to be long in front of mirror.

second, you will find out that most of fashion designers, including women fashion, are men. and women like what those men create.

women who shop for men's clothes only pick the clothes. not design them.

its not difficult to find out what men want to wear. because we are not easy to change our minds when dressing. we wear what we prepared last night.

What Guys Said 7

• I think the reason why women are seen as more "fashionably minded" than men, is because fashion is stereotyped in the USA as a "gay man industry", and there's a lot of underground homophobia in the USA (similar to current American racism).

Stupid, but as an American, what I say is a true statement

• Most women know a lot about what's trendy, but f*** all about style, and certainly don't understand subtle elements of men's formal dress.

• "There are only two things that women don't do as well as men and that's design dresses and cook." -Germaine Greer

• Sounds like a double-standard when women tell men what to wear, but men can't tell women what to wear. That's like a guy telling a girl what she should wear because "he just knows what's best for her"

• They just go shopping more than us. But we know more about Call of Duty!

• He'll yes. I'm absolutely buggered now I'm single and don't have a woman to do my shopping!

• Gay guys are the fashion experts.