Do you care if people assume things about you?

Question is up there...

I try not to care if people assume things about me, but sometimes, it makes me worry.

Im a babysitter/nanny (im not sure which one is appropriate for me) and I baby sit for 4 days. I babysit at the mom's job so I take the baby (1 year old) out in the stroller and I can't help but feel embarrassed. I always run into old classmates, and people I see at school and they just stare with a surprised look on their face. they probably think I have a baby, and it doesn't help that the baby I babysit looks so much like me. I would like to explain, but I don't talk to those people so I just keep walking. Aww man. I just can't help but to be so embarrassed. I don't know if to care or not.

Anyway, do you care if people make assumptions about you?

• Yes I do care
  • No I don't care. let them think whatever they want.
  • Sometimes/ depends who it is.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I know people will make assumptions all the time. No one can resist making assumptions, even if you try not to make any, you're missing a bunch of assumptions you're making without even knowing you make them because of your education, culture, experiences etc...

Anyways, once you know they do. You can't really get all to worried about it, unless your goals depend on people having the right assumptions about you.

However, in general I don't feel the need to explain myself to anyone unless I have a good reason to. Them possibly thinking something negative about me, in most cases doesn't qualify as a good reason, so I wouldn't explain myself.

What Guys Said 12

• See we humans have the capability to co-relate things around us, be it theoretical or visual or otherwise and form an opinion or inference. I don't know you, but if I see you or a stranger with a kid in the stroller I am bound to take it for granted that you are his mother, or if you look really young then probably I'll figure out that you're either an very older sister or a nanny.

As far as you running into people whom you know is concerned,...what is there to be embarrassed about !? If cooing with a soul mate in public isn't embarrassing then how come taking care of a baby is? ;-)..

you actually need to wave out to them, let them come to you and tell them about how you are helping someone by taking care of the baby...I'm sure there are only gonna be some 'awww's..or coochie cooing for the baby, appreciating you, a small talk and then you walk away...

..if you ignore and keep walking even after they notice you , then you would be strengthening their false assumption that yes its your baby! you're a mother!... :) :)

• If the assumptions were from open minded people usually that's not a problem they can critically think for themselves. The problem comes from close minded people that makes assumption, and then spread it to others. Just can't win an argument with them, and eventually you might even believe their lies.

• One thing I've learned is people will make all kinds of assumptions about you. Sometimes it gets to me, but I feel I'm getting better with respect to truly not giving a f***. At the end of the day, as long as you know who you are, and know yoursellf, that's all that matters.

• I am studying to get my PhD in and I know that there are going to be people that assume things they don't know about me. Everyone is unique in there own way, I find it easier to know a facts than to assume something. I don't assume I am smarter than the person next to me either because you never know, they might find and learn something from them If I assumed, It could ruin a good relationship personally or even professionally.

In your case your job requires a lot of caring. It could be either a surprise to those you see that you are doing so well or assume that you are the mother. I actually would be happy you are taking care of the child instead of letting it sit all day in a stroller. The fact is you care about the child and want him comfortable. - I say good for you doing a good job, when people assume the opposite at times. You have nothing to be embarrassed about if you are doing a fine job taking care of your responsibilities as an employee. :)

• ( I am studying to be a electrician)I put yes be if they don't know you than why judge someone its rang and its childish. Its showing they need to grow up but if someone did judge me ill tell the to f*** off and let it be at that and tell them to grow up

• Depends. If I know they are assuming something and it's based on no facts, I have a problem. At least base things on facts ya retards.

• Nah, don't give a f*ck lol

• Everybody does to some degree - even if it's not direct, someone who you don't care if they assume anything about you could be in cahoots with someone who you DO care if they assume things about you, ya know?

• Let them assume what they will...only thing matters is what you think and your friends.

• If someone says something about me that I know issnt true why care about it!

• Assumers gonna assume.

• I know that strangers or acquaintances of mine don't offer me money, pay my bills, offer me guidance or support or care how I am doing in life so they can think and say what they want about me. If someone makes a judgment about me and they are wrong and have something to say I just smile and tell them to f*** off.

What Girls Said 16

• Hahahaha, I know exactly what you mean! I babysit two girls, ages 6 and 1, and I ALWAYS get mistaken for their mother when I take them out. I haven't run into anyone I know while I was out yet, but if I did, they'd probably know they're not mine since I would've had to have the first one when I was 14, haha. But the other day, I took them to the playground and a lady nearby asked "aww the baby's so cute, how old is she?" and I told her she's about to turn 2 next month, and she asked "oh, what day?" and I said "er, I don't know." The look she gave me was priceless!

• it depends on what they think and who it is that thinks so. I mean, if someone close to me thinks I did something horrible that no one can prove, then yes, I do care and I will try to set it straight, not just for that person close to me but for anyone who cares. If it's something mildly upsetting but further uninteresting, and someone jsut tells me that the rumor's going around or that someone said so, I shrug my shoulders, grimace as in - and say "so?". if it's a (at least in my eyes) horrible thing, I get pissed and defend myself. if it's anywhere from "so ridiculous it's funny" to "what? outrageous!" I usually don't give a damn. my friends know not to believe that, and other people who don't know me or who don't have the courage to ask abotu the truth of it all, I don't bother with.

• I don't care at all. As a teenager I babysat a lot and people would assume that they were my kids (especially older white ladies) I didn't care though. People are gonna judge but if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing and making your money that's all that matters

• I used to but not anymore. As I've gotten older and travelled a lot I've realized the world is full of small minded bigots and what they think of me has little meaning. The old cluche of those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind rings very true for me. Now assumptions are just sheer entertainment for me. People are always houng to jump to conclusions and you can't nor should spend your life explaining yourself to people who don't even know you.

• i do becasue it leads to rumors.

my bff told me that when I 1st met you I thought you was a real bitch becasue you never talked to any1 and didn't smile in class (college btw), but when I got to know u, you're a real sweetheart! and we both laughed about it. I don't mind these assumptions becasue she didn't go around the school telling people lies about me

in \high school I was a tom boy and I wore guy clothing, people assumed that I was a lesbian and even though I said I wasn't they still assumed I was. I was talking to a friend and she had to change clothes but instead of asking me to turn around she went into her closet to get dressed, and this is a girl I knew since I was 8, always talking about boys now were 17 and she assumed I was a les even though I told her I wasnt. she really hindered our friendship over something stupid. oh and a year later she dates a girl and posted it on MySpace >.>

• Generally no. But I'll care a little more if I'm close to the person, as I value their thoughts and feelings more than those of others who I don't know.

• I do somewhat. Sometimes, haters gonna hate. Other times, a specific person or a specific opinion can hurt. But in a situation like that, just laugh it off and say that I'm just babysitting.

• I always looked older than I was and when I was 12-13 (but looked like I was 18) I would babysit this toddler that loved to be pushed around the block in his stroller. Cars would drive by and tell me how I was stupid, needed to put a rubber on it, ect. because they assumed it was my kid. The first time it hurt but after that I didn't care, I only gained respect for real teen parents and vowed to never let them be right about me.

• No, I really don't care. I wouldn't let it bother you. So let them think what they want, it is like you are leading a double life. It adds a little titillating intrigue to your life. You know the truth, let them assume what they want. I would find it really amusing. But that is me, and I have a strange sense of humor. I love that word titillating.

• i've been in that situation, I never cared, I mean, who cares what they think in that instant? you know it's not true and if they ever talk to you again it'll be pretty obvious to them they were mistaken...

• I use to nanny and I still babysit and the only people I would care about assuming things about me is theses parents. Why wouldn't you just tell them your babysitting? lol

• Good point. Only the parents' opinion should matter.

Well I would like to explain to them but I don't really talk to them. theyre people I went to high school with or that I now see in college but don't talk to. It would be weird if I just go and give them explainations. I actually don't like to give explainations to anyone but damn it! they feel necessary in these situations.

• Lol I hear ya. Well as long as your real friends and family know what's going on that should slow the rumor mill down.

• depends on who it is and what they're assuming. I don't like it when people assume something about me and then go and tell people like its fact when they really have no idea.

• I don't care if people make assumptions of me.

I have a 3 year old nephew, I like saying he's mine, but most people don't believe me :[ LOL

He's adorable! <3

• 'Most of people don't belive' because you still look like a adorable babie who needs a lot of pamper :)

+1 to super cute babie

• ahahah that's horrible but okay. XD

• horrible o_0 y? Do I luk like a monster...lol...

• I don't care for a non sense feedback, if it's no good for me then I don't give a f***.. But sometimes if it's for my own good,then, I should think about it, mostly I don't care.

• Assumptions and stereotypes, in general, bother me a little.

I've learned not to assume anything about people I don't know, so I generally expect the same respect. I rarely get it though.

It is natural. It's human nature to categorize people and segregate them into subgroups.

People often make assumptions about me based on my interests, my looks, where I'm from, etc. 99.9% of the time, they are wrong.

Do their assumptions of me personally, bother me? Not really. But I do prefer people not assume they know me when they don't. Haha!

I voted C :-)

• Everbody makes assumptions. I would say that since many assumptions are wrong most people don't like it however it's just part of life, one of those things to let roll of your back.