Are girls really less visual then guys are?

Or is it that society has restrained girls so they are raised to not be as visual? Because my sister has pictures on her walls of half naked dudes, my parents are pretty liberal and I know some girls say they don't care about looks so what's the verdict do girls like looking at guys?

Most Helpful Guy

• We both care about looks equally.

• Not quite equally, but it's not as uneven as many people think it is... I mean just look at some of the slobs that women are willing to date ;)

• true you don't really see one person looking better then the other and sometimes they look like brother and sister even its weird lol.

• Very true... can't really argue with that

What Girls Said 14

• Both women and men are visual to an extent. I'll admit, I am a little bit visual. I don't like guys who are big (not fit, just a lot of flab, a huge beer-belly) and I don't like facial hair. Some girls have posters of half naked guys on their walls and guys have posters of half naked women on their walls. Go to Walmart and look at the posters, you will see what I mean.

• We care about his looks, but that takes the backseat to male's abilities.

You put looks first.

You objectify us as decorations. We objectify you as appliances. (We are attracted to male power, not beauty.)

That's the difference. How high our standards regarding looks are, is individual and you can freely say we are similar regarding our judgement of someone's looks.

But you have to note that for guys this is an eliminating factor, while for girls it isn't.

Of course men and women both search for other traits like kindness, sense of humor, love of life, moral principles etc. But do not get these mixed up with the superficial attraction towards power(women) and beauty(men).

You boys need to stop trying to observe women as if they are like you. Same goes for us. Differences are not a scary thing. There are more of them than we like to admit. We need to look at them FIRST, for it is the only way we can create a functional unions. And the only way modern men will f***ing stop grooming themselves 24/7 like peacocks, obsessing over their looks and actually go and DO something.

• explain male power?

• Very simple. Dominance (ability to lead, set boundaries on others and yourself, take charge when you know you are right), assertiveness, high intelligence, physical strength, a lot of money (ability to command/control others-includes the girl), confidence that borders cockiness, protective instinct, possessiveness (not controlling "where were you" possessiveness, but "you are mine and no guy can ever touch you with me watching" possessiveness). Basically: a man's ability to be our shelter.

• i won't lie, a guy with gr8 biceps and a 6 pack is always nice to look at. gr8 eye candy. Those kinda guys make us happy hahaha for a few fleeting moments. we all want a strong guy to protect us, I guess that's why we visually attracted to such features. but that's not my main criteria for finding a nice guy at all. hell no. gr8 personality and brains is what does it for me, even if your biceps aren't that gr8.

• Girls are very visual. It's all society telling guys that women aren't visual.

• Honestly, I like to look:) I feel bad about it, but if I am only interested in a guy for his personality, the relationship won't go anywhere. I have to be able to want to kiss him. So, yeah, girls are visual.

• I am visual , my degree is in art . It's just a bullsh*t line to make it OK for guys to be shallow

• girls are visual & they do care about looks...but they care about other qualities more.they don't just fall for the good looks like the guys

• @update, you need a life.

• guys are more visual than girls. it is part of nature for you to check for potential mates, and looks come first. but we are all visual creatures in general.

• Look at how popular

Brad Pitt and Robert Pattinson are.

Gabriel Aubry

Also Orlando Bloom

Taylor Lautner

Jude Law

Liam Hemsworth

Sam Worthington

James McAvoy

Alex Pettyfer

Russel Crow

Jensen Ackles

Milo Ventimiglia

Ummm...Kellan Lutz...oh fanning my temple. Too hot for words.

• what about that dude I look like from that 70s show ummm Ashton Kutcher.

• Ashton Kutcher doesn't do anything for me.

• what about brad pitt?

• You don't get out much do you? Obviously girls are visual. You're a queer.

• I'm out all the time I can walk around shirtless with 6 pack and girls won't care or will they.

• No, I'm more visual then "emotional"

For example I have a dating prefrence and only stick to that. I like the men I like, and if I'm not attracted to a guy and he doesn't get my excited then I don't want him

• yes!

• But personality has to be amazing

I'm so picky, but once I gain feelings then I want in for the long run. That's a diff topic though

• I think at certain times of the month women are purely emotional... but yes we do appreciate good looks, otherwise we wouldn't be so stylish and do our makeup so well!

• Of course girls like checking out guys - that's natural.

Having said that, I'm genuinely not at visual as men I've known. During long distance relationships, I always wanted phone sex and they always wanted cam sex.

When masturbating, I only use p*rn to help probably 1/10 times. I fantasize on my own, and when I visualize while playing, it's usually a "faceless" man so to speak, the fantasy is about the attitude of the man, not how he looks.

So I'd say yes, while we do like looking at men, we are definitely less visual than men.

• weird so what if the girl has a mans attitude you'd like that too?

• No, haha! It is a man in the fantasy but what I'm really thinking about is what he's doing and saying, not what he looks like.

What Guys Said 7

• Women ARE *less* visually-stimulated (in a relationship or sexual way) than men, but that doesn't mean that looks mean nothing to them. It just means that most women are *more* concerned with the guy's actions, behavior, attitude, and the emotional connection he establishes with her. Again, it doesn't mean she has NO concern about his looks; she does. It's just that other things are the priority, in most cases.

• They certainly are less visual, but not by very much, believe it or not.

Of all the girls I've spoken with, more than half get off on visual stimulation... I know onlyaguy says it's scientific, but I think we all can agree that society has a MUCH more profound affect upon us.

Like the QA said - think about men and their emotions: We're almost as emotional as women are, but because society frowns down upon emotional men, we have to conceal it. It's the same thing with women and their visual stimuli - they're told by society to hide it, otherwise, they're just as "superficial" and "shallow" as men are *cough* *cough* SARCASM

• women date slobs because they are hot.

• that's why a lot of guys get cheated on by these fake sluts and divorce rates are so high.

• I agree!

• Depends what you mean by being visual. If you're talking about attraction, I'd say girls are more tuned into reciprocation from a guy and other things instead of only the visual presence of attractive guys, unlike guys that can do with nothing other than the looks. There are exceptions to anything but that looks like the general rule.

But if you mean visual in the overall sense, I'd say everyone likes to look at things they like to see. And girls tend to like dressing more colorful and more varied than guys, so does that mean girls are actually more visual?

• It's a scientifically proven fact that the male gender is more visually stimulated by sexual imagery. Everyone is different, but in general it's true.

• more visually does not mean that girls are far behind because they are not it just has to do with guys having higher sex drive.

• Some of what you wrote is partially true, but not related. Science has shown that men are aroused by visual imagery more so than women. I don't think women behaving like ladies or talking about sex is related at all. It's how men's and women's brains work.

• its more society and science has not shown that men are more visual just that they are more sexual.

• women never get turned on by naked men, they are not visual. Never, never, never send them a picture of your thingy or you will be dumped for life.

• wrong they do.

• QA is right - the only reason they don't admit it is because they're afraid of being labeled sluts

• will always be debateable, but I'd say they are just as visual but other things are more important to them

• i'm very curious about this as well