IS this Racist, Political, or Art?

I would like to hear what some of you think of the following, yes I know that they are Lyrics. I was suspended for 30 days for wearing a shirt that was promoting racial prejudice and racial hate.

So you thought you might like to go to the show.

To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow.

I got me some bad news for you, sunshine.

Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel,

And he sent us along as a surrugate band.

We're gonna find out where you fans really stand.

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?

Get 'em up against the wall. -- against the wall!

And that one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me.

Get him up against the wall. -- against the wall!

And that one looks Jewish, and that one's a coon.

Who let all this riffraff into the room?

There's one smoking a joint, and another with spots!

If I had my way I'd have all of ya shot.

Credit goes to Pink Floyd for the song and music.

I am sorry I was not clear. I go to a school for performance arts. Music, dance, acting...

I have picked the best answer, the sad part is that it turned me off of entering anything like the talent show again, or actually any type or art, performance or any other medium that is associated with my school. I am also actively looking for a new school, or willing to enter public if it has a good music program (I have been playing elec. guitar since I was 6). I am trying to fight this, but was told I would need a lawyer. Hence I quit both team sports that I played on, band, and whatnot.

Most Helpful Guy

• well on the surface this looks racist. But I know what the song is about and know that it is in fact a commentary. Pink Floyd were writing this song as an allegory about fans not fully understanding the stars they worshipped. The Wall is a thematic album about a rock star named Pink. Pink is a disallusioned rock star who doesn't believe his fans fully understand who he is.

He envisions himself as a fascist dictator and this is what these specific lyrics seem to reference.

The lyrics on the surface seem offensive and certainly out of context can be taken as such. I can see why a school would suspend someone for wearing it. Hopefully if you could explain what the lyrics reference and give them a full understanding of Pink Floyd (one of the most progressive, inclusive bands ever) people would understand that the lyrics are a commentary on society and not the beliefs of the you personally or the band

• Excellent answer

• In social politics, truth means nothing, we feed lies to everyone than create another in reaction. Realistically speaking, he'd be wasting his time attempting to "Explain" something of that nature to an already biased group. As I said in my answer:asymmetric insight.

• I agree...but perhaps a school administrator won't penalize his grades or at least if nothing else would admit that he can see that what he was wearing doesn't make him some sort of insensitive, racist, fascist.

What Girls Said 8

• Lol. Art, truthfully.

Actually, it seems so surreal, but one day back in high school, during passing to classes, someone initiated Another Brick in the Wall and it travelled quickly! Within seconds the halls were full of people singing along.

"We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control. No dark sarcasm in the classroom. Teachers leave them kids alone. HEY! teacher leave them kids alone. All in all it's just another brick in the wall. All in all you're just another brick in the wall ."

I honestly don't recall anyone in trouble that day and now it's a pretty neat memory.

• And yes, I'm aware it's techncally unrelated, it's not often that I recall the memory though. Between Pink Floyd and school though, it immediately popped up, including the fact that none of us for suspended for it. No one was harmed. It was a statemet. Same with your shirt. I don't understand how a statement on a shirt can be handled with so little regard to what it actually represents. At that, to be suspended for it is a bit harsh. Can I ask if you typically rebel?

• Well at school I can see how the administrators would think that.

And it is disrupting the learning process...(which is the only legal reason they can stop you from wearing something)

I say art or not they have a right to tell you to not wear it again, however, they shouldn't have suspended you on a first time offense.

• u probably know that its somewhat offensive to other people (I wouldn't have cared cause I wouldn't have time to read it) - but like knowing its lyrics I wouldve worn it somewhere else instead of at school . - I don't want to tell you not to be who you are , but try to understand that others can be put down by your views . . .

you shouldn't have been suspended - just told to take it off & give you a school shirt

• Anyone not familiar with that will not understand that it is taken out of context. Out of context it does appear very racist. I know Pink Floyd and where those lyrics are from and know what it is really about but you have to understand that it is very old and most people won't be familiar with it. So it's understandable why they reacted they way they did. I am sure the older faculty knew it and loved it but they have to act on others concerns. It is not their place to explain it to them.

• only a dumbass that has no clue about what is being said would say it is racist. most people know what those lyrics are from and should know that they are anything but promoting racial prejudice...i actually take them as breaking down that attitude esp if you watch the movie.

i will say that out of context if it was just the words without any reference at all to The Wall it could be a little offensive...but then you have to educate people on what they are from

• well he was at school so I think that's why an administration had to feel like they had to act. whether or not a principal gets something they have to be mindful of simply what it says. Frankly I bet the principal went home and told all their friends about the sweet as*s t-shirt one of their students had

• with the update it is even worse that they reacted that way.

• Sounds very discrimatory.

• Its a t shirt, not cool you got suspended

• You deserved what you got.

Despite what you think of the lyrics, it's racially insensitive and self-absorbed to wear that.

• I deserve loosing a 4.0 gpa due to a shirt. Perfect attendance - ruined. No wonder why you are Anonymous, nothing nice or constructive to say.

• Actually I am anonymous because they monitor the social pages (Twitter, FB, Q+A and other sites that students frequent). Because I could loose my scholarship. Because I know one of my teachers does answer questions here.

Personally I think that it is insensitive to bitch and complain about a shirt that they did not understand or fully read. I think that it is insensitive that we are supposed to think about other people feelings and emotions and sensibilities in this country before our own.

• Alrighty well whatever the case may be; you are speaking anonymously too. So don't use the idea of anonymity as an insult only when it benefits you.

Okay, well maybe that's something you should have said to their faces instead of bitching about it to me. You are selfish for believing that it's insensitive for you to be asked to be considerate of things that may offend others.

What Guys Said 5

• I think you should be able to wear what you want. People shouldn't be so soft.

Unfortunately, the world we live in today is filled with people that get their panties in a bunch over a few words. We are so concerned with being PC that we ban anything and everything that sparks a conversation.

But ultimately, you should have thought more before wearing it to school. Did you really think that nobody would say anything?

• Let me clarify the word racist, isn't a word that really defines anything "negative" or "positive" as far as meaning goes. But it depends on which perspective you have. It's like If I used the word "liberal" in a way which represented it as "negative."

The word "Racist" Can mean a lot of things to different people, mostly in the U.S and other "socially advanced" countries, by that I mean multicultural countries, it is a very "bad" thing. But the issue with all this is, to be a "Racist" is to be a person concerned with race. Is it negative emotion, or positive? From what angle do you perceive?

Obviously in those lyrics though, it isn't advocating those types of people, but, many people say they would "shoot" a pedophile, a rapist, or any one of that nature. They are never condemned for it or shunned. Certain things are more touchy. I think it is bullsh*t point blank. Freedom of speech exists,however, they will punish you for what you say. You really aren't free. We "Celebrate diversity" but we have favoritism towards minorities. It isn't any less "racist." The word is without any useful meaning.

asymmetric insight is something to research into.

• Lol. They obviously lack musical education...

I don't know that song, but I know that Pink Floyd wouldn't sing racist lyrics it's not their type at all, it doesn't fit in with the rest of their message. So it's fairly obvious the lyrics have a different meaning. If I was a teacher I'd ask you the meaning of those lyrics. Taking things literally without attention to interpretation is espcially dumb coming from an Arts school lol.

• Obviously the lyrics are racial but they were meant to hold up a mirror to society to expose racism rather than to express the artist's racist views.

BTW - great song and album!

• What art school are you attending that they have a problem with lyrics from The Wall?

• At best, all I am willing to say is it is in Boston.