Why do some black girls look biracial?

I'm talking about the black girls who don't have one white or other race parent, grandparent, or even great grandparent. Why do they look like a lot of mixed girls (girls with a white/other parent or grandparent) look? No offense to anyone I'm just interested. I think some black girls are mixed and it turns out they aren't, all their family is black.

I guess its vice versa too - a lot of mixed girls look like a lot of black girls who don't have non-black parents or family in general. Some mixed girls look more white or exactly in the middle though.

Most Helpful Girl

• It goes one further - some women (and men) who are directly "mixed", with one Other parent or a biracial parent, have a look that seems "more black" to our society than some "pure black" people do. And it works the other way around. One of my best friends is always annoyed because she looks more white/mediterranean but she is half black and identifies strongly with her father and as a black woman. No one guesses that and when she says it, people downplay her identity or dismiss it. If I'm there, they will just say, well I thought you were the mixed one and she was white. She doesn't like that. lol And its sometimes a bit awkward when you're around "mixed people" who don't want to be considered black but look similar to you or "more black." Race is such a sh*t storm, seriously.

I am not mixed or biracial in the conventional sense, but like most other African American descendants of slavery, my background is mixed up hundreds of years back. everyones is at one point or another. However, that's nothing to mark because that's not an abnormal reality in the backgrounds of most black descendants of slavery in the west. My mom looks "even more mixed" than I do and she has brothers and sisters from dark chocolate everything, to light beige skin like hers, green eyes, light hair, etc. My dads family is less varied in that sense, but still has different features. My dad is in the light skin (tan) group, like my mom and I. His grand father was black but he had blue eyes and light skin. Things like this happen in a lot of black families.

Basically, the problem is that race is a social construct and genetics are a biological reality. you don't have to be mixed according to social definitions to have genetic mutations from the norm or have genetic patterns or recessive genes that aren't understood to be the norm in any specific group. Just because you label a group of people as black or African American, doesn't mean their genes are not going to do whatever the f*** theyre going to do. But concerning race in this group specifically, there was a lot of "race mixing" in early American history. not just the British American slavery, but also with the French and Spanish before the British take over. So, just like the next dark skinned person with "blacker features" often has a mixed background due to slavery and things centuries ago, I have a mixed background as well. I am not mixed or biracial in terms of recent lineage, which is what people mean when they ask "are you mixed?" they aren't asking me what my ancestors were doing on a Friday night 400 years ago. They know, or should know, that I have no f***ing clue. So my answer is always, no, I am just black. Its dishonest to claim to be mixed, when I know the asker doesn't have the "we are all mixed, lets hold hands" context in mind. They mean to differentiate between me and the next black person based on features they deem as "more/less black," which is somewhat ignorant.

• That makes a lot of sense. I just think, "if they look the same...whats the difference?" but I get it. Thanks.

What Girls Said 24

• This is kind of a strange question. I think lots of people who identify as different races/ethnicities can look "bi-racial". For example, Latino/Hispanic people can look "African American", Asian, and white as well as Latino. What it comes down to is the fact that in America we class certain people as "African American" or "Black" when it really isn't that simple. There are many different sources of black ancestry that have diverged from each other over time. And there are some people who we would class as black who in other countries wouldn't be classed as such.

For example, in the Domincan Republic the majority of people are what we in America would term black yet they don't consider themselves as such and their heritage comes from so many different origins (Indian, Spanish, African) I read a really interesting essay about how when people from the DR come to America they often encounter a racial identity and racism they never before considered/encountered. People see them and think they're black, when in actuality they are not African American at all. They are/consider themselves Latino or Dominican. You should do some reading into this subject if you are really that interested.

There are also lots of different genetic factors that determine how someone will look. If the people you are referring to do look "biracial" or more like one race than another, that comes down to genes.

• I think the answer is obvious: simply that people of different cultures have different appearances. Not every "black" person is from Africa, for example, and not every "white" person from Europe. If one black girl looks different from another black girl, her ethnic background is probably different.

But I'm curious why this question is directed toward black girls and not black people in general.

• Men are included in this, but I probably pay more attention to womens looks in general.

• just like white people, geneics cause different amounts of skin pigmentation, gentically they will have more pigmentation than whites but their scale is slightly higher.

wikipedia does a good job explaining it here:

link

• Ancestry and diversity in African countries.

• same as white people, you don't know the genetic make-up of every single relative they have, they very well could have other ethnicities in their genes. I have a friend who has 2 Caucasian parents and he looks like he's mixed race, and it's the same for a few of his relatives, you never know.

• Different shades of brown.

Ever walk into a Sephora? There are the super pales, inbetweens, tans, super tans, Asian tones, light black, medium black, chocolate.

• Ancestry...They can't 100% verify that the only have African in their blood because the werent alive around that time. Chances are the either have Caucasian, European and in some cases Irish in them (ive seen irish before). Some black were slaves others were colonized by the British and other were free to roam. Only God knows what they were doing at that time.

• You don't have to be biracial to be mixed. Both of my parents are mixed. And no they do not have obe non black parent. But my great great grandpa is white. I came out light skinned, very light skinned and what a child looks like is not only determined by the genetics of the oarents but their parents parents as well. Its called genetics, and ancestry. No one is pure anything. Including white people. I'm mixed. I'm multiracial. And no people do not have to be half white and half black to be mixed. Mariah Carey is not biracial. But she is still considered mixed.

• Some guys too .I don't really care if the guy is good looking who cares about race!? In your case if the woman is attractive why does race matter?

• That's why you can't pre-judge and assume a person's race just by looking at them. It takes more than just a color to define that. There's different colors within the chocolate rainbow

• I'm one that gets mistook for being biracial. Idk. My family is multiracial. It has many different ethnicity's in it. But yes we are "black". I even had a guy that was biracial and he couldn't tell if I was also or not. I just kept him guessing :P

• in any country where black people where perviously owned as slaves the majority of the black population will have some white ancestry. people used to f*** there slaves all the time.

• They probably have mixed ancestors somewhere along the line.

• Ancestry and history. It may not be great grandparents, but it can go back several generations. Plus not all black people "look black" or have the so called "black features." It's just like any other race.

• they are mixed through ancestors

• Because they could very well have mixed ancestry?

• How can a mixed girl look black without a black parent?

• We are just different shades of brown, so does it really matter?

• Nature

• Was this question deleted? Just checking

• There are light negroids

There are dark negroids

There are even red toned negroids

There are also very dark cacasoids and dark mongoloids

Technically people who call themselves "Latinos" are still Caucasian though look how dark some Mexicans are.

There is a huge range in skin tone. Look how light skin some Japanese are and how dark skin some Filipinos are.

• I had a room-mate who was technically mongoloid (Asian) Though her skin was so dark and she had some charicteristics of Africans...so she looked very negroid.

Her boyfriend was black and he was attracted to her because she had a very big bum and very dark skin.

She was from Saipan.

Look at people from places like New Zealand and Samoa.

• @miramiraonthewall

Instead of putting 3 comments onto my answer complaining about my answer...go write your own answer. All you need to do is go above write in the box and push submit.

I really don't care if you agree with my answer or not. Though why write a book about it.

The three groups are not considered invalid by scientists. They are considered invalid by certain political groups and political groups are not scientists. Now go write your own f***ing answer idiot.

• Wow, okay then...

• 1. Ancestry maybe? Most black people a have non-black ancestors.

2. Black people were originally from Africa, like everyone else. Africa is diverse. The East look South Asian or Blasian (Other parts of Asia) North look Arab, South a diverse society, West and Central are similar (Also Carribeans have West African blood)

3. I'm from the East but from what I know, I'm fully black. I might have some Asian in me because my eyes and hair are different to the Asians. And all skin tones vary within a race. With white people there are tanned to pale white. Same with black, so light we look gold or so dark that we look erm...you know...

• skin color doesn't mean anything. just like their are darker/lighter skin tones in every 'race'

• What do you consider looking biracial? Can you provide pics for example

Our bloodline is made up of West African, European and maybe native American or Asian depending on the family.not to mention some people who are more recently mixed..so basically we're not going to have one set look.

What Guys Said 5

• Africa is a ginormous continent.

Most black Americans are mixed.

Just with different regions within Africa.

• Because they are. 60% of black people are mixed.

• The way that some slave-owners had fetishes for black women, and how common white man/black woman rape was...it doesn't shock me if many blacks have white ancestry in their bloodlines, are simply aware of it because of the mixing of white American bloodlines many generations ago.

• This is vitally important to you? We all come from Africa so I think this type of thought is a waste

• A lot of people are mixed with something. Old, suppressed genes sometimes shine through.