Is it better to look trendy or conservative?

I'm changing my style. before, my clothing choices were pretty conservative looking and not very flashy. I looked alright, but I didn't dress cute like a lot of girls my age (20). I stayed with little designs, slightly formal and understated.it was classy, sure, but boring.

Now I'm shopping at trendier stores, I keep up with what's hot,I wear more patterns, brighter colors and tighter fits. I'm not sure what stereotype I could fit into image-wise. I'm not preppy, not hood, not a hipster..idk

My sister said my outfit today looked "ratchet". All I was wearing was: gray fitted distressed/ripped skinny jeans, a leopard print tank top with gray and turquoise, and large hoop basketball wives style earrings. I looked cute. But would you say that my style is better now, or before I changed?

Most Helpful Guy

• It sounds like before your outfits were both conservative and asexual. Now they are trendy and sexy. They are better because they are hot.

It's the tighter fits.

The rest is personal taste and depends on the occasion.

What Guys Said 3

• Remember that "classy" never goes out of style. But having said that, you don't have to dress all one way or the other. Let the situation decide. But don't ever feel like you're boring because you're wearing a nice blouse and a mid-length skirt. That's always pretty.

• Trendy is good, but ,at least around where I live, leopard print and ripped gray skinny jeans aren't the trends.

• You can do both, you know?

What Girls Said 6

• Without seeing you and knowing you it is impossible to say which is better - before or after. Your style should reflect who you are and you must be comfortable in it. To me there is nothing worse than a girl wearing something because its "on trend/in style" without any consideration of if it suits them. Not everything suits everybody. Its not just about looks , you have to take in personality too. For example a bodcon dress on a good looking girl but not sure of it, not brimming with confidence will not be able to pull it off simply because she would be uncomfortable in it and it will show.

• Why not do a little of both? Trends will come and go and if you commit to trying to looking as trendy as possible, you're going to be pulling your hair out due to how much money you're spending on what's hot--just to have it become something tacky only a short time later.

Nothing wrong with dressing conservatively; as another user said, it can be boring, but it doesn't have to be. The most important thing is, what do you feel more comfortable in? What makes you feel sexy and just good inside? Style is and should be more of wearing what suits you, what feels good to you when you wear it; a mix of different looks and things makes that style your style.

• neither. it's better to do your own thing and aim for timeless style.

trends can be stupid and gimicky, conservative is boring, unimaginative, uninteresting.

look at this guy -> link he is my idol, definitely not conservative or following the latest fashions, this photo could have been taken at any time because.he's got his own style going on and looks cool as f***.

• conservative

• Do both I like to mix it up. Ratchet isn't classy but guys still like it

• Wear whatever you feel like wearing. You don't need to follow the rules in fashion, in my opinion. If you want to wear something that others say "omg never", wear it. :)