Why does my height bother me so much?

I am an almost 20 year old male. I am 5'10" so just a bit over dead average height for the US and UK. According to growth predictors I should be 5'11" and it seems like that extra inch makes all the difference to me. I've played sport all my life so exercise was never the issue. Why does my height bother me so much? I've been short all my life and now am at least average. Any ideas?

Most Helpful Guy

• At 5'10', I would think you would be pretty happy with your height. It's natural to want what we can't have, but you're far luckier than many.

Workout and build some muscles. I'll bet that would erase any insecurities about height.

• Yes and I realize that, but I am quite muscular and have very broad shoulders to begin with... I don't know. Thanks for your answer!

• Gotcha. I am 6'3" and my 19 yo son is 5'10". I know he wanted and was expecting to be taller, but it hasn't happen and doubtful it will at this point.. I would give up my height and give it to him in a heartbeat because I know how important he perceives it to be and yet how unimportant it really is in the scheme of things. At 5'10", you really are better off to be honest.

• With height comes potential health issues and a physical awkwardness that is OK for sports like basketball or football, but a handicap for the sports I prefer (skiing and surfing). There are trade offs, but IMO you are better off being 5'10" than 6'3". Good luck brother.

What Girls Said 3

• Sounds like something else is really bothering you, but you think it's your height. Like maybe you don't feel quite as confident as you would like, and you think it must be your height, but it's really just the way you feel?

• Don't get me wrong, I don't think that if I was my desired 1-2 inches taller that my life would drastically improve. I'm quite content, but I do think I'd be a little happier. Thanks for answering!

• Idk you obsess over stats like a lot of people...btw I think you still have time to grow

• umm how should I know? Were you teased in the past?

What Guys Said 5

• At least you are on the better end of average.

I'm on the shorter end of it, and it's very hard to get noticed by women (it's kind of a fact that only a minority of women will date guys the same height as them or shorter).

Height cannot be changed, so I suggest you look at improving yourself in ways you can change if you want to feel better.

• Shut the hell up, I'm 21 and I'm 5'6". What do you think is going through my head? Nothing. I ride a quad bike and noticed the shorter I am the higher I go when doing a jump. I do rowing and was in a masters cause I was hypermobile and the only way I kept up with the older guys was cause I was more flexible then them. For 3 and a half painful years I was the fourth most athletic male in my year at high school and it was all cause I didn't care. Keep your chin up and show the taller ones they haven't got sh*t on you.

• im also 5'10, and I'm comfortable with my height... do you think you're attractive regardless of the feelings of your height?

• I couldn't say. I can say that I do get noticed by women though.

• If you get noticed by women, they why else do you sound so concerned?:-P

• I suppose if I knew then I wouldn't have asked. Thanks for answering!

• you think you have it bad? I'm 5'5 and you can imagine the trouble I have with women because of it. Be happy of your height, because it could be worse...

• Yeah, I think you qualify for this.

link