Do you think beauty contestants should represent their people looks-wise?

There was an interview on TV with Miss Finland 2012 link and since I have been to Scandinavia before I knew she looked quite different than most people there. Most of the Scandinavians are white in complexion, blondes, tall with blue eyes. She is orginally from Lebanon, that's why.

My question is...do you think beauty contestants (who compete in Miss Universe after winning their country's title) should almost accurately represent their people? Or is it OK to look totally different than the norm in her country? Don't you think she is supposed to represent her country looks-wise in an international competition that's going to be widely seen? Are you OK with a blondie representing Nigeria for example?

This is not a racist question. I believe beauty exists in all different colors, shapes and forms.

Here are the photos of Miss Universe 2012 contestants. link

• Yes, I think the girl should represent the majority of girls in her country.
  • I think it doesn't matter at all.
  • I have no opinion on that matter/ See results.
Sorry about the second link. Here you go: link

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely not.

If you wanted to have 'miss nordic' 'miss African descent' 'miss Hispanic' and then have them compete, your way would make sense (though doubtless be shut down). Under those 'rules' the lebanese descent woman from sweden would compete for ms. middle eastern descent, and blond women in nigeria (there are some) would compete for ms. scandinavian ethnicity. And over time, more and more and more women would be competing for I don't know what since they have mixed ethnicity.

The contests right now are based on geography, not heritage. I think there have been blond contestants from africa, and there continue to be non-white contestants from Europe, and us north Americans don't send a native American woman every year.

• Out of interest, the current miss finland, do you think she should have been eligible for miss lebanon instead then?

Or just anyone who has moved is banned from competing?

Is anyone whose parents are from different countries banned as well, since they aren't 'representative' of anywhere?

• I'm unsure of what I think and this is why I asked this question. Your answer makes sense.

What Guys Said 10

• On beauty contests every girl should be representing their country. If it is not, there is no sense of beauty contest. Lebanon is known for famous beauties, Serbia too. I was in Beirut, in every country I buy music CDs. In Lebanon is famous for beauty Haifa Wehbe, Elissa is famous for singing. I have both in my collection.

Serbia will always represent, its own beauty. We always have them.

link

• Nope. Beauty contests are subjective. They can pick whoever they want. It's not like it really means anything anyway. I wouldn't say that the people who win those contests are necessarily more beautiful then some of the women I meet in everyday life. They just love attention and the competition.

• II voted A,I mean seriously, it would be easy to replace all of them with contestant from same ethnicity :S for the sake of genuine of the contest

I dislike such contest, my taste in ladies based first on their behavior then her attractiveness and then lastly her looks (major def between looks and attractiveness)

P.S I HATE LEBANESE GIRLS :S :S

• Yes! Otherwise we get a misleading idea of how hot the chicks are in a given country! And that would be baaad :(

• Are you being serious or sarcastic? :D

• Half-half :D

But I guess it would be stupid to have it turn into a contest of beauty tailored for the end consumer eg: only a particular type of beauty being represented because it sells best. Diversity is nice :)

• Makes sense. :)

• I don't think it matters whether they represent the majority of girls in their country, but I think they should actually be from their country. If they're a citizen of that country, that's fine because that's their home country now. If they're not a citizen, then that doesn't make sense. Is Miss Finland a citizen of Finland? If so, it doesn't matter.

• I think they should just be a citizen of their country. For instance, you can't have an American go into africa and apply for miss africa

• No! I picked the wrong answer!

I just hope they are not biased about the people's looks cause people are meant to have many different looks! But then what will it be about?

Maybe being given a theme to wear and making a costume to go well with it?

• Yeah. I didn't agree with it when that black chick represented that European country.

P.S. I'm not racist either so don't even go there.

• I think so, that's part of what makes the contest special, is getting looks that are representative of around the world and of the specific country.

• Nope. I think they should wear what they think gives them the best chances for success.

What Girls Said 7

• I voted "yes", but after reading your question I don't think that it matters. Especially in places like America where there is so much diversity.

• But then what would you do with countries like Canada or America? I know in Canada we are a beautiful mix of races, so there is so "norm" for how people look.

• Good point. I meant the countries that have a distinctive norm, unlike America and Canada.

• I do find it interesting that the more Caucasian features you have the prettier they seem to judge you.

• Ya I think they should represent their country but that's hard to do if the country is diverse so it can't always be accurate

• i think it ake things more interesting, rather than having 80% of the field looking the exact same.

• I think it doesn't matter what we think, the poeple with the $$$ are going to do what they want to.

• It would be nice to see though. I doubt anyone would watch.

• I don't care.