How can I keep my natural hair healthy with frequent heat styling?

i'm natural,I typically blow dry and flat iron my hair to be straight, and use curling wands on top of that. I used to wear it natural some days, but I've completely flat ironed the texture out of my hair! Even when it's wet, it still doesn't curl back up:-( so I have no choice but to wear it straightened

Problem is, lately I've been feeling lots of dryness and it's not as soft as it once was. My hair lacks moisture.

I began using a high end deep conditioner on the weekends and that's helping a little. What else can I do? And please don't say "no heat"!

Most Helpful Girl

• If your hair is natural, you need to keep a balance of moisture AND protein.

Do you know if your hair is protein sensitive or not?

I'd recommend going to Sally's and buying a packet of ApHogee 2 minute reconstructor. Shampoo your hair, apply the reconstructor, leave it in for 5 minutes, rinse and then apply a moisturizing conditioner to put moisture back in.

If you find that your hair is brittle or dry, you're protein sensitive and may only need to do a protein treatment once a month or once every 6 weeks. When you do them, you can add oil to them to keep it from becoming too harsh.

Other protein treatments are Ion(also from Sally's) and it comes in a packet(as well as a bottle), it's just called a reconstructor

In between these protein treatments, make sure to use a moisturizing deep conditioner.

What you could do is pre-poo by applying a more cheap deep conditioner or extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil for about 2 hours before shampooing. Then, shampoo, rinse and condition as usual.

Or the night before shampooing, applying extra virgin coconut oil or extra virgin coconut oil to your hair and scalp and leave it on over night.

Aside from that, use a heat protectant and if possible, try not to use heat everyday. Once you've styled your hair, wrap at night and keep the edges protected.

Also, sleeping with a satin bonnet or head scarf can help prevent your hair from becoming dry and brittle

link

^you can also get one at Sally's or Wal-Mart

What Guys Said 1

• The most important rule to remember is to keep your hair moisturized. Dry hair is bad hair and the drier your hair becomes the harder it is to manage. Dry hair also breaks more easily and the more your hair breaks the less growth you'll see. A good moisturizer is key to keeping the hair supple and beautiful. Good moisturizers do more than coat the hair shaft, they actually penetrate the shaft and bring moisture to the cortex (the middle portion of a strand of hair). A good moisturizer will nourish your hair and help it to retain length. Examples of good moisturizers include Kinky-Curly Knot Today leave in or Aloe Vera Juice.

What Girls Said 1

• Ya I have the same problem my ends stay straight.I just don't flat iron my hair so often I cut it to once a month instead of every 2 weeks. Do weekly deep conditioning treatments.In the mean time you can braid your hair instead of blow drying let it air dry that way.Then you should have curly/wavy hair from the braidout.