Why do people even care about celebrities, and these goons they see on tv?

Don't get me wrong, TV is entertaining and all, and movies are awesome. I think some people in movies deserve some admiration for their talent, but I never understood it when people almost worship them, and most of the time it is not even for their achievement but for their looks and money. All I see on my commute to university these days are mostly women, totally in awe at their gossip and fashion magazines, just talking and talking about what's in, and who looks the best... why even f***ing care? I mean its not like they even know you, or care about your opinion.. I don't know why people don't spend their time doing better things.

Most Helpful Guy

• I see so many girls trying to imitate Kim Kardashian. It's disheartening. I don't understand the obsession with celebs. I never watch tv, just download my favorite shows, so I never expose myself to reality tv.

What Girls Said 8

• Where I live people actually look upon celebrities as a god like entity. They have idols and statues of them and literally worship them! It's disheartening to see such things. I feel the need to really civilize these celebrity worshipers but they'd only kill me if I say something. Another thing is when they say that gossiping about celebrities' personal life is just for entertainment. I don't see the point. If they want entertainment there are other things to keep you entertained instead of talking about other people's lives. What made me realize is that people who actually worship them and view all sorts of gossip columns and talk about their personal lives are uncivilized, have a sad boring life and are, I stress, brain dead.

• Moreover. They think its a guilty pleasure to gossip about them. Guilty pleasure is when you indulge in eating a lot of ice cream. Gossiping about people just makes them idiotic and mean. It seems like people are more affected by Kim Kadarshian's ass rather than knowing anything about the world they live in.

• So a bunch of girls I used to go to school with were all in love - or as in love as they could be - with Justin Bieber. Whenever he started dating someone, I kid you not, they cried. To me, it was stupid. They don't even know them on a personal level. And then there are the people that hate those celebrities. I don't understand them any more than I understand the people in love with celebrities because they've never met them, so they can't really say anything about them. I think it's that these people that are in love with actors or singers what have you are kinda...bored. With their own lives, I mean. They can't find enough entertainment within themselves so they look to other people's lives.

• took the words out of my mouth I laughed when I saw Bieber on some shows and some teen girls were going nuts be it because he made some move or looked at them longer then the next girl.. never understood that or how crazy people acted when anyone famous was around.

I despise those reality shows

• I agree. I am not a big fan of the whole celeb fascination but I think the answer is pretty simple. It's an escape from life. These people have everything; They are rich, beautiful and successful it's every mundanes biggest wish.

• I couldn't care less what celebs are doing. They're just people, I'd much prefer to pay attention to people who actually contribute to my life.

• because most of them look so perfect and so attractive always.. I wish I could have my own stylist and not just any other stylist like if there would be convention of stylists, she is the stylist of all the stylists in the convention, that good.

• Because we've been brainwashed and turned into victims of pop culture. ;-;

• -because their life's are boring and meaningless, they have nobody in real life to look up to

-they want to have a glimpse into the life of the elite, and possibly feel like they are part of the high society themselves

- they like to idolize and worship hoping to be more like that person, thinking that person is godly and they can do no wrong. These people like to follow someone, something for whatever reason...

or the reason most of us "worship" celebrities, it's fun to gossip about them with friends, get fashion inspiration, keep up with their latest works.

• Because they're powerful by being famous and beautiful and people want to live vicariously through them.

What Guys Said 8

• It's all about desiring the rich, attractive people... It's like being at school, and you get people following the popular kids. It's also a big social thing, people always like to talk about that kind of junk, in a way it is generally an easy way to bond with others. Although I agree it's shallow and spectacularly boring in reality. All I do with my friends is mock such celebrities.

• I've been a little out of the loop, but just yesterday I saw some promos for shows on MTV and VH1, and I was HORRIFIED. Making celebs out of these horrible "Real Wives"? Rap relationships? Who could possibly care about this crap? Shows about spoiled, immature a$$holes who do nothing but complain? That isn't entertainment to me.

Thank god for DVRs and scripted shows. At least we acknowledge that those are ACTING. Most reality TV is less real than pro wrestling. That's sad. That people watch it is even sadder.

• I think that on an emotional level, their brains think they are friends with these people.

They see them all the time, they know the details of their lives, theirs ups and downs, they feel a connection, like they know them. They don't obviously, and they know it intellectually, but from an emotional standpoint, its like they are friends. Some of the gossiping is just then 'safe' gossiping, like they'd enjoy doing about mutual friends with no repercussions.

I don't think its just a matter of them being attractive or rich. They get plenty caught up with average looking people on reality shows too. Sure, they're more interested in people who look nice, but that's how real life works too.

• I will never understand when a celebrity dies it makes the news for a month

• i ask myself this question all the time. I guess is their hunger and desperation of actually wanting to be cool and fit in. but I really pity those people; which they are like 90% of the people in our society

• Yo for real, I have no idea.

• they take them as a source of inspiration ...they fanatise about them...they want to be like them...they dream about being like them...some do it as a pass time or they need a topic on which they can gossip...yes there are some who don't care...im neutral when it comes to this

• I don't get it either. I can't be bothered with celebrity gossip.

Having said that, I will admit that I do ocassionally watch TMZ. Again, not for the celebrity news and gossip, but because the cast is hilarious.