Does makeup fix ugly?

ASIDE from photoshop, airbrushing and editing, which CAN fix ugly and imperfections, do you think makeup fixes ugly?

Also note, I'm not asking for sad stories about how 'ugly' you think you are.

Look at the pictures on here:

link

I'd say the first 3 pages will give you an idea cause it just becomes repetitive discussion or you have to dig and dig

I feel like with the everyday chick, it doesn't fix ugly. If it did, why would nose jobs, cheek implants/reductions, braces, lip injections, brow lifts, chemical peels/microdermabrasions, acne/wrinkle topical creams be in such demand...

It can only do so much. It helps average girls more than it does already butt uggo girls.

Also, I don't ask this to put down girls who do wear makeup or who don't. I LOVE makeup but I rarely ever do it because I'm lazy. The only thing I must do is fill in my eyebrows with a pencil and even then, I'm still average...

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes it does. Girls can almost change their entire appearance facial wise with the right highlighting, bronzing, foundation etc. I watch YouTube makeup tutorials often and I see girls putting 20+ products on their face, sometimes it takes them 10 different products just to get their foundation right! That's not even adding mascara, eyeshadow, lip gloss etc. As soon as they take everything off it's like they're a entire different human being. I'm not hating on those girls. I love wearing make-up too and need foundation, that's my staple product but I don't use nearly that many products on my face. Some girls are blessed with good skin already but unfortunately others aren't and because of society it's hard to just say "i'm not wearing any make-up today" for a lot of girls. If we do go natural then we might get ignored or not taken notice of cause guys are too busy thinking about some hot girl they saw in a magazine or some model who wears a lot of make-up with airbrushing. There's so many standards these days and it's tough to keep up.

What Guys Said 8

• No, I think it often adds to it or makes it own... I've seen gorgeous girls with no makeup who look silly with makeup (and yes I know the difference between no make up and, maybe she's just wearing very little -.-) The link seems like an irrelevant source for me as it's on a bodybuilding forum, I do enjoy reading about bodybuilding and as a sport it interests me but most of the guys who do it are so obcessed with 'perfection' and fake tanning, their own view of what is attractive is so contorted I don't see it as valid. There are time when makeup can be used to highlight what is good about the female features and that is a plus, it's also a confidence booster, but for the most part I hate the expensive gunk.

• To be brutally honest, I don't think it can fix 'ugly'.

At the very best, it's only like a temporary fix to a certain extent - for instance to hide like skin blemishes.

A person's attractiveness is sort of like determined by their overall facial features and how well they kind of like complement each other (imo).

You can't really like change that with makeup (imo). At the very most, I think you can highlight or bring out certain features which will most likely detract attention from your less flattering features!

• You can subconsciously tell when someone is hiding something. Just like you can tell when people have as their display photo half of their face cut out, at an acute angle, with a lamp with the illumination power of the sun beaming down on them. Having said that, I often find people that embrace their natural beauty better looking, even if the majority of the male population would disagree. I don't believe anyone is ugly. It's more an attitude. The caked in makeup look just doesn't do it for me.

• I read through the forum link you posted. And If the picture in this link is actually of real VS models as claimed, then I'd say that makeup is absolutely the most f*cking amazing thing that this world has ever seen.

• Those pics are real. All models have to take those quick, sort of unprofessional looking head shots. they're like that with any modeling agency.

• Wow. I mean, a few of them are still pretty damn good looking, namely Bar Refaeli, Adriana Lima, and Noemie Lenoir (messed up hair notwithstanding) but a lot of those girls are downright scary to look at. Whoever gets those girls ready for their VS shoots is a goddamn wizard.

I feel like such a horrible douche for saying that, but it is what it is, I guess.

• doesn't fix ugly but it can bump people up a couple points until they get to a certain point of hotness or uggo-ness. helps average people look better than it does for uglys or hots

a one is still gonna be a 1-1.5

a 7 might be able to go up to an 8

a 5 can maybe make the jump to a ~6.5

post #80 made me laugh

• No, it does not. It enhances the good features that you already have and draws attention to them. Very few girls like at least a couple pretty features.

• what else do you think makeup is for?

• Fix slight imperfections and enhance natural features. Although, stage makeup works wonders but is often too expensive and the ones sold in store often aren't the same as the ones used by professionals

• Only can fix mild ugly

What Girls Said 18

• I think make up is a wonderful thing, it can enhance your looks, etc etc. However, you need to know how to use it. You could be the most beautiful person without make up, but if you don't know how to properly use the stuff, you can ruin your face. And likewise, it can make you look amazing.

But, even with the best make up tricks, if you are really ugly, then no it cannot fix. It can help, but not fix. It really depends on your viewpoint of ugly of course - if lack of symmetry (aka one half of your face is completely slipped or whatever) then no make up will fix it, if it's just that you have a droopy mouth or baggy eyes, then yes it'll 'fix'.

I agree with you about the cosmetic surgery though, it wouldn't have been invented if there wasn't a need and demand for it. It has become a statement, image, vain thing, but it has it's place - take victims of accidents who need reconstructive surgery - the skills of nose jobs and such are best practiced before ruining someones face more!

And apologizes for the ramblings!

• I think most women look a little better for some light make-up, for example, a bit of foundation evening out the skin tone and fixing blemishes, a little mascara to define the eyes and so on. A LOT of makeup caked on anybody's face can look awful, particularly close up, as it seems unnatural. I don't think the girls in the 'before' pictures look bad, I think other variables can account for a lot of the perceived differences, such as different lighting and smiling/not smiling. Because it's so commonplace for women to wear makeup there is a tendency for us to perceive that as normal, and to see something 'wrong' in a fresh face - it's just what we get used to looking at.

• I think if you feel that you're beautiful with or without makeup...great.

I think you needa listen to yourself.

If someone tells you you look ugly without makeup kick em in the balls or the vag either or.

You're beautiful how you think you're beautiful.

And I think that's all that should matter.

• I wouldn't say it fixes ugly ... But it definitely can do a lot to help.

link

• Wow, all the guys on that post are a**holes. I can't believe how shallow they're being.

But I agree with you. Makeup highlights and enhances, but it doesn't fix ugly. No way in hell would the lack of makeup drop anyone 4-5 points on a 10 point scale. Only serious changes in weight or plastic surgery or scarring can change your appearance that much.

• makeup can help a LOT. That's for sure.

• It can accent a girls more attractive features, while detracting from her not-so-attractive features, but I wouldn't give a strong yes or no in either direction. But I do think it can make her a different kind of ugly if she cakes it on.

• It sucks, but it is pretty true. Make up is used to improve looks, what would be the point in using it otherwise. I feel saying its used 'fix ugly' is putting it a little harshly, but I would agree that it is used to improve appearance and does a pretty dam good job at doing so. In saying that though, some girls just don't suit makeup and look nicer without it. I believe that girls just need to find what suits them and what they're comfortable with.

• from where I'm from nope cause I see no one wear heavy makeup to the point that they like alter their face.. some wear light makeup but most women don't apply makeup at all so I cannot really tell but base on your link though I don't find them ugly(before pic), I must say some have big positive differences on their looks so in a way YES..

• I think that makeup just enhances your features. If you do it well, it can make you look great... or awful. But it definitely doesn't change the way you look. And I don't think that it should be used to 'change', just to 'improve'!

As for those pictures... you have to keep in mind that lighting makes a huge difference.

• Are you kidding?! It certainly changes the way people look for MANY people I've seen! Jenna Marbles is an example...

• Obviously not.

If your face is whack, it'll barely help you. You'll still be ugly. Just an ugly person wearing makeup.

Like you said, it helps the average and the attractive look better. Makeup can only do so much.

• Makeup does not fix ugly...it HIDES it.

Make-up is not meant to 'fix' ugly or even to hide it, it's meant to enhance your natural beauty. Unfortunately, too many people nowadays use it to *completely* change the way they really look :s

• Also, from the link, it's not that many girls are really ugly, it's that almost every girl wears makeup that completely changes and hypes the way they actually look, so that when people (who are already used to seeing them with much make up on) see how they actually look like, they would think they look ugly, simply because the contrast is often too great.

• No I don't think so

• Umm I think it can fix some blemishes but then it can start to look fake.

I think tt.mop.com girl had looked better before.

Also notice a lot of them changed their hair and teeth and clothes.

• No it doesn't.

• I'd like to use makeup, but I can't... too complicated :0

• It's a temporary fix.

• No, not really. It can help highlight good attributes and hide bad ones, but that's about it.

In fact, I've seen makeup turn pretty women into ugly women sometimes, haha!

Like anything else, makeup can be used for good and for evil :-P haha