Mirror mirror on the wall, why is height an issue with people at all?

I don't have enough fingers and toes to

count how many times I've seen someone

ask a question about height, most of these

questions are men asking women what height

they prefer there man to be and frankly it

annoys the hell out of me!

Me personally, I don't' care about his height, weight,

looks, the car he drives, the amount of money

he makes, his social status, the size of his "manhood",

if he lives with his parents or has his own place, etc

etc (I think you get the point.) For me it's more about

who he is on the inside then the outside,because when

I get married,it's not gonna be for the way he looks or

how tall or short he is. It will be for love and when you

REALLY TRULY love someone all that superficial

and materialistic stuff just flies out the window! And,

if it doesn't then you never really grasped the

concept of love to start with!

So, my question is why do both men and women

care so much about the height of there significant

other? Is really that big of a deal, because I don't

quite understand it!?

Most Helpful Guy

• The reason height is an issue is because shorter guys do not get as much attention from women and, hence, do not get as many possibilities for romance as taller guys.

Girls will say height is a non-issue because girls of all heights can attract guys (short girls = super cute, tall girls = super models, average girls = great balance). Sometimes you will get questions from short girls that sound more like bragging rights than questions (Now THAT really gets old), and sometimes you will get questions from tall girls asking why guys are afraid to approach them (answer: it's because rejection is much scarier from a taller girl).

Tall guys will say they don't care because they have all of the girls looking at them.

Average sized guys will say it doesn't bother them because they at least have the attention of girls shorter than them.

The ones who care are the guys who don't have romance in their lives; the short guys who are single and at best as tall as average girls who wear high-heels.

So what it all boils down to is high-heels suck, and as long as they exist stupid height questions will keep popping up =P

What Guys Said 14

• Well, unless she is under 5 feet, or taller than me, height is really not an issue with me.

But anyway, probably hearkens back to our evolutionary roots, back in pre-civilization times, when taller men were more dominant and therefore women would be assured by having babies with tall men, their babies would dominate others and not be dominated. All instinct driven.

• I'd say intelligence and cunning was/is important, too. Height alone was/isn't the dominating factor:

"So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David." -Samuel 17:50

• You're thinking like a sentient being, not an animal on instinct; intelligence and cunning have little to no sure-signed outward indicators but height is obvious.

• It isn't ... Height is only cared about and made an issue amongst most women. Men don't really give a crap, when they do its because something a woman said about their height. Never, about a mans preferences towards a womans height because most of us guys usually don't have a sex standard height we are looking for. If it were up to us we would have sex a hot 8 foot girl and not a f*** would be given.

• Girls ask the question just as often... Being short is an insecurity that a lot of people have. For men it might go all the way back to elementary school. They were picked last for dodge ball or basketball because they were small. They were bullied by bigger people. Girls picked the tall guys that won over them. They feel like they lose everything and get a raw deal because they are short. That imprints on them that it's not a good thing. For girls, many times they struggle to find their identity as a woman. They feel that being so short and small makes them look like they are 12 even when they are 23. They feel they are ignored and no man will notice them and love them because they look too young.

• Well that's an easy question right there , we are f***ed up creatures with tons of insecurities (most of us are) and ofc to us our own insecurities are a big ass deal , even if to others it does not even count as a bit of a flaw , the person with the "flaw" goes paranoid over it all f***ing day long .

• Height isn't an issue at all for me... I don't care how tall or short a girl is. It's a complete non issue.

• Well many women do care about the height of their guy, so it can matter quite a bit. As a short guy myself, I know this first hand. Since its one of those things you can't change, being short can really do a number on your self confidence. Again, I know this first hand

• Oh come on I'm sure you have another physical preference that rules out a LOT of guys. It just doesn't happen to be height.

• Nope, not really. I have never really had a preference, it's more about the vibe of the guy

then the look.

• Because I worry that girls want a taller up that's the main reason.

• Men are judged based on their height, while women are judged on their weight. It sucks but that's the way it goes. Also, women feel more feminine when the guy is taller than she is. I prefer women to be my height or just a bit shorter because I prefer her to be taller than me when she has heels on. Something about her being taller than me WITH heels on, is freakin' sexy to me...so if you're already 5'9" you're too tall for me. I'm 5'8"

• the thing is people don't care, they just think that others do, which ends up making them feel insecure and in need of answers, I asked a question on height a while back because I was unsure if myheight of 6'5 would be too intimidating to girls and found out a lot of girls actually prefer really tall guys, it made me feel better :), also height questions aren't nearly as frequent as the "what does it mean when he/she did this" questions XD

• girls don't care about tall height on a guy. it's a bonus for them. but they do care about short height in a guy. it's a deal breaker for them. you shouldn't be surprised at the answers you received to your question.

• Wow, you're a rare one, aren't ya? :P

• Well you're a breath of fresh air among the insecure, shallow girls who often respond to questions about height here at GAG, like the anon girls who posted first. You sound like a good person who cares about what's important. Wish there were more like you.

• It may annoy you and you might not care about such things (which I doubt by the way), but plenty of other girls do care and will choose who they date based off of them. People that ask them have an idea of what will be said, but they are hoping that it's not quite that so it will boost their self esteem.

• You can doubt me all you want sir, but it's true. I don't care about those things, I don't

pay attention to my own height or weight or any of the other stuff. So, if I don't care

about for myself why would I care about it on a guy?

• Because everyone has preferences. Some of those preferences are make or break. I just doubt you're any different. I'm not talking about just the height issue or weight issue. You listed several things and there are quite a few others out there too.

• Men don't care that much, women do. I don't know a single guy who thinks height is a priority, while for many girls, it is a deal-breaker. I do have a preference for tall girls, I'm just attracted to them more, short ones are everywhere and tallish is rare and beautiful BUT it's just a preference, not really important. There are so many other things to look for before even thinking about height.

What Girls Said 4

• People have preferences. I think this is normal and natural. We are attracted to some things sometimes more than other things. That's why we have favorite colors, favorite music choices, favorite movies, favorite food etc. It's sort of how we are wired together. Of course there will be exceptions, like you, who have no preference in their dating life but I think most of us are guilty of having some sort of preference, be it height, weight, background, religion etc. I don't think this is a bad thing. I mean many of these things just come naturally. If we didn't pay attention to our preferences we could end up being with someone who we physically aren't attracted to which leads to well, a bad relationship cause most relationships require a healthy amount of physical attraction. Yes, it may be unfair. I know how it feels like to not fit into someone's ideal preference and to be rejected on that basis. But then I get over it and realize that I'm just not everyone's cup of tea. We can't all be attracted to the same people. Different features or qualities attract different people. I remember when I had this huge crush on my best guy friend who rejected me twice, ouch, and I couldn't understand how that's possible! I felt like I had a great personality, I couldn't pin point something I do that's off putting, I'm friendly, not clingy and in general just thought I had good features. But then I realized he likely just in't physically attracted to me. And how right was I. I didn't have brunette hair, which is something he found really attractive in a girl. Yeah I cried about it but then I realized it's just a part of life. It's not new, abnormal or strange.

Personally for me ambition is extremely important. This is my number one preference in a guy. I look for it first. I don't seek a rich ass guy but I want a guy who has some ambition to achieve more in life and not just sit around waiting for luck and being lazy. I grew up with a father who had absolutely no ambition to live a comfortable life and thanks to him we had and still have great financial struggles and I didn't have a very stress free upbringing. I'd hate to bring this on my children someday so ambition is number one for me due to personal experience. Other girls don't care about it. They're fine with a guy who just wants to settle. I'm not. As for height, I'd definitely give a guy shorter than me a shot, I'm 5'7. The only thing that just pisses me off is when guys lie about their height. I remember a guy once told me he was my height but then I met him and he was probably 5'5-ish. I do however like already stated have a strong preference in other areas that aren't looks for most of the part. If I can have a preference in something then I don't see why anyone else shouldn't, even if it's height.

• I think complaining about one's height is something desperate people do when they're bored and really have nothing in their lives to complain about.

• LOL this is ridiculous. Of course short guys will be disregarded, it's called natural selection. I want to feel feminine next to a guy that's much taller than me. And I don't want my children to be midgets, sorry. He must have at least 6'' (and I'm being generous here) or he's out, period. Cry all you want.

• Good luck with that, you're gonna need it! Because, if the most important thing to you,

is his height and the height of your children. Then you really don't understand relationships

or what it would mean to be a parent! But, good luck and may the force be with you!

• got to be one of the most arrogant things I ever heard. but your opinionated and have high standards lol but you answer this question anonymously, what are you afraid of? you would have a huge problem if you were rejected because of something you can't change about yourself.

• I prefer a guy that's at least 6'2". That is my preference, and that's that. I want a guy taller than me so I can feel small, since I'm 5'9".

• Projection of your own height insecurities.

• I'm not insecure about my height.

• I'm 6'5" and nearly everyone I meet say I make them feel small XD