Poll: Do babies resemble their fathers?

I have read that when a young child is first born, he or she will resemble their father in their first months of life. A study done in 1995 confirmed this. Allegedly, this is nature's paternity test. Some other studies claim to disprove it, and in one, they concluded that mothers have a sort of natural instinct to make comments on how the kid looks like the father to assure her partner of his paternity.

I've seen this asked online, and lots of mothers said yes, with many actually stating that the baby first resembled their father, then switched to looking like the mother. But others said it was not true.

So this poll is to any GAG parent. Did the baby look like the father or not at birth?

• Yes
  • No.
Also, it'd be cool of any of the ladies could give input on whether it's true that mothers feel some sort of need to make comments on how the child looks like his or her father to assure paternity, as some scientists suggests.

Most Helpful Girl

• i think it varies. drjohno is right. its really hard to tell who the baby looks like when they're newborns. they pretty much all look the same; red, swollen and peely.

i have always looked like my mom. and my sister's kids look like her boyfriend, but they always have. they don't seem to change. when they were newborns, they didn't really look like either of them. and my friend's baby now looks like the father, but when she was born, she didn't look like anyone either.

so I'm not sure. from all the babies I've met since they were born, none of them looked like any of the parents. they just look like regular newborns, either bald or with hair.

What Girls Said 14

• I doubt that's "proven" or "confirmed". babies tend to have their own look as they are young and as they age they start looking like a parent or family members. Of course you will see babies that look like their mothers or fathers but it varies per baby I would say

• Well, babies usually inherit characteristics from both parents and develop their own look. But the theory is that babies and small children tend to at first inherit more characteristics from their fathers and often times look like a baby version of daddy before developing.

I know this is kind of true in my case. My grandmother tells me that as a small child, I looked like my father when he was a kid.

• Well, it doesn't exactly stay the same. I looked like my father as a kid, now I don't look like him at all, except I inherited his hair. I've seen people discussing this online say that at first the baby had his or her father's features, then after a few months started looking more like the mother.

• Well that goes with what I was saying about everyone is different and every child varies

• Yes

• Yes

• Yes

• Yes

• yes

• Yes

• Yes

• Yes

• Yes

• Yes

• No

• You know what's funny? I once read an article that men warm up to a baby first if it looks like him. My guess is because he knows its his. I'm not sure.

• Yeah, I also once read an article that says men spend more time with and generally engage in favoritism with the children that resemble them more.

• All babies look similar to me, they don't really look like either of their parents because you can't see particular features, like facial structure, nose etc. In any case, I find older babies and young children tend to either look like their mother or neither parent. I don't often see kids that really resemble their father, but I always see those that are the spitting image of their moms.

What Guys Said 3

• First seeing my kid it was hard to tell, their faces are I bit mushy and don't really have their color yet. Even children of darker skinned people look way lighter then their parents and if this was true, every father with a darker skin color would say that it's not his child, but from a white dude.

I personally really started to notice facial traits and similarities after 3 months.

Now that she's 2, there is no denying she looks like me, almost a female representation of myself, or I just look way more feminine then I thought :P

• Personally, it's hard to tell. To me, newborns resemble other newborns than their adult parents.

• It's an evolutionary advantage. And one to help keep cheating women from getting caught >.>