Should a real man care about fashion?

IMO, no.

imo a real man who has absolute confidence in himself and know his way perfectly around women and around the world, will not wear anything other than a black/white T-shirt/shirt and a pair of jeans/black pants, or a suit.

Not because he is clueless about fashion but rather he knows that only a real man can feel absolute confidence in even the simplest dress code, that he is such an alpha male that any other fashion item would be unnecessary and scream "look at me!" which is very un-manly.

Think of Vito Corleone or James Bond: do they need anything other than a suit to prove to himself and the world that he is the sh*t? NO.

and that's why it annoys me to no end that many girls these days seem to go for guys, the hipster/metrosexual types, who clearly care about fashion and wear clothes that make you glance at them out of the corner of your eyes because you are both amused and embarrassed that a guy can dress like that, and you feel pity for them Because you know it's clearly a sign of deep insecurity and narcissism which leads to an attention seeking sense of fashion, which is not something that a real man would do.

hmm...let me explain further, I am talking about guys who wear clothes which are over the top and scream trying-too-hard, the kind of stuff that models wear on runaway and you think "yeah no one is gonna wear that in real life", you know? the kind of clothes that's only appropriate to wear if you are a celebrity performing in a concert, something like, I duno, a red leather suit and pants, but you are riding on the subway.

If you guys still think that is OK, then I have nothing more to say.
OK let me be even more clear, I only want your opinion on guys who dresses over the top.

Most Helpful Girl

• Firstly James Bond wears a tailored, slim fit Tom Ford designer suit, its not like he just rolled out of bed and into the first thing he found so perhaps not a good analogy. Vito Corleone was played by Marlon Brando one of the most stylish men of his time, the same with Connery, Moore and especially Daniel Craig. You don't get the Bond role by being a fashion delinquent. Tight shirts, tight trousers, squeezed into skinny jeans - metrosexual look? Also what Daniel Craig wears.

I prefer my men in a tshirt and jeans(not skinny) but I also believe that you should have a choice. I will probably chuckle a little but will think good for you. But I do think it has become extremely difficult to tell a straight guy from a not straight guy simply by their clothes. I remember when a guy wearing a scarf was considered something no straight guy would do. There is a massive difference between a guy having style and a guy that follows every trend and fad simply because its "in fashion". Some people do wear stuff just to get noticed others do it simply because the follow without question. And that applies to women too.

Fashion was never something straight guys admitted to following or having an interest in but the world is changing. There are many straight guys that are leading the fashion industry its no longer "gay". A real man does his own thing, he doesn't care what others think nor does he need to prove anything.

• Hello

I am simple and God fearing. I do believe that life is happy for everybody.

I am kind, loving, opened-mind,caring and respectful to others.

My name is Benita.I am a female, I was impressed when I saw your profile and will like to establish a long lasting relationship with you. In addition,i will like you to reply me through my private e mail box ( benitadesm@yahoo.co.uk )

What Girls Said 17

• The reality of life is that we are all judged by what we wear. We make an impression on our peers, members of the opposite sex, our boss, etc. And our clothes project a message to those people, be it good or bad. A guy's clothes can say so much about him, be it professional, classy, trendy, gangster, etc. Forget about this "real man" crap, because there's no such thing. A man is a man is a man. Of course, some men behave better than others, and some men are more "masculine", which I know is still important. But you don't have to hand in your man card just because you understand that dressing well adds to your image. If you want to portray a good message to others, it helps to own a wardrobe that fits well and makes you look good. You don't need to spend a lot of money or go with trendy brands, but some well-fitting clothes that are appropriate for the occassion speak volumes about you! Plus, when you look good, you feel good. Wearing a sharp suit to a business meeting, or owning a pair of jeans that makes you look hot, can help you feel confident about the situation. Men want to look good and project a good image, just like women. You don't have to loose your masculinity to do so!

And as far as dressing over the top is concerned, costumey clothing really says a lot about a person too. These people aren't being themselves, they are playing a role that they think is appropriate, when it often isn't. Many of these guys who hide behind their clothes might not know HOW to present the real them, or haven't figured out who the real them is. The guy who dresses like a rap star might have self-confidence issues, and the guy who wears the tight unbuttoned black silk shirt to the bar might secretly be unsure how to attract women. But when you can look good in clothes but still look like YOU, that's when you've hit the jackpot.

• Yeah the last guy I had a relationship with was like that. He would special order his tees over the net and owned a selection of suede/leather jackets. It's the look where one would first think "Wow! He's pretty sauve" but then intelligence gets the better of you and you start to wonder whether he just might be a little too preoccupied with his own image. His lists of demands were too long for me and I had no desire to compliment his image let alone his inflated ego by dressing the exact way he wanted me to. Thanks for the fashion advice Captain Superficial but I'd like to think I'm adult enough to make my own decisions as to how I dress. It's strictly down-to-earth guys for me now, much more respectful and much less a headache.

• I like it when a man can match his belt with his shoe. That's not fancy. Just basic fashion sense is very attractive to me. Nice fitting clothes goes a long way! ;)

• she explains it best, is not exactly fashion as in follow the trends (which I never do) or trademarks or "the color of the season", but some common sense and neat style, matching what you wear, wearing the clothes that fit you (both in size and shape/style), that is ALL I do, don't consider it being fashionable, just having your own style but wearing it correctly.

• yeah what she and you said is pretty common and it is not this that I am against, I am talking about the over the top guys.

• there's a girl or guy for every one and honestly I think looks aside, people can fall in love or date people who aren't fashionable and can do the same for those who are.

I'm more of a spiritual person and would pay attention to someone's character more so than looks usually. in no way does that mean I am an unattractive female.

but sometimes people all different are attracted to different things. sometimes there's no reasoning to it, just like preference.

• to me a guy who dresses well shows a sense of self respect but more importantly a respect towards others...if a guy shows up on a date well groomed and has obviously put effort into choosing a well put together, well tailored outfit ...that tells me he cares,

• I'd say a "real man", isn't a real man if he cares about something as pathetic as how other men would see him just because he has the care to want to look good.

• Also the ex who liked the attention seeking fashion scores top points on the Narcissistic Personality Disorder checklist. So I guess you have a point here :-)

• well I asked this question because I saw Instagram photos of this girl I knew, who got a new boyfriend and he is wearing a full-length cloak jacket that goes down to your ankle, the crap that only Severus Snape from Harry Potter would wear, and yet, this joke of a guy is wearing is and this girl actually seem to love it rather than feel embarrassed, like a normal person would.

• Unless the guy could cast spells too he probably wouldn't do much for me. Why people need to make such a statement with their style really confuses me.

• which goes back to my original point that only guys with a deep sense of insecurity would wear crap like these to grab attention and feel self-worthy, in other words, a weak man, and yet, girls are now going for these fashion sensitive weak men instead of Real Men whose confidence is so solid that he does not need fashion to prove who he is to the world.

• A real man shouldn't care about what people think a real man should and shouldn't care about.

• please read update

• I read your update now. I understand what you mean and it is far away from my personal taste. But I think it's immature to say it makes a man less of a man if he's into that kind of fashion. It's all a matter of taste in the end.

• No. Only fake men should.

• Um, it depends on the guy. Guys like girls who have variety styles too. It is who are you talking about and not the general population because of what the media thinks.

However, in the world of attention, look does give people edges.

• as opposed to imaginary men?

• Like this: link

link

link

link

A man that can dress well is HOT.

link

^ more runway. The hats are a bit big but the guys look hot in their clothing.

These guys are also trying to make an impression with their clothing...

link

It shows the guy has taste in fashion. Those guys in wangster clothing, if changes to dress like the men above, could be hot! Its all about how you PRESENT yourself.

• No. My boyfriend wears a v neck t shirt and jeans every where. He paints sometimes to help his brother out so sometimes he gets paint stains on the shirts and jeans. And he looks sexy all the time lol he wore jeans a tshirt to his brothers wedding so. That's just him lol

• I think it can be a generalization. I used to know a man who wore simple things like what you describe, said himself that he didn't care about fashion, but once I got to know him he had the maturity of a 12-year old boy, almost zero confidence and not a clue in the world about relationships. I've also known guys who cared about fashion just whilst they were trying to impress a girl, and then other guys who were always into fashion and a hit with the ladies. Fashion doesn't have to be flamboyant - there's following the trend (such as the era of the skinny or wide tie, which most men tend to follow) and then there's making a statement, i.e; the 'look at me!' t-shirts. That said, not everyone who dresses 'out-of-the-box' is insecure.

• I like guys who make the effort to look good and please my visual.

• no, just wear what is comfortable.

• Some girls do like guys that know how to dress well. I think the big thing should be, as long as he takes care of himself and has good hygene and makes a bit of an effort to dress nice, that is all that really matters. He doesn't have to be in designer wear to be a real man or make a huge impression. Just nice clothes with no dirt, holes or pants hanging down low where you can see boxers or briefs, now that is just unattractive by all means.

• But what I m saying is there is two ways for a man to knowing how to dress well, the James Bond way and the metrosexual way, and the Bond way is clearly superior to the metro, a real man would not dress metro, in fact IMO a metro guy is not a real man and girls should stay away and yet, they flock to them.

• You realize banana republic is the Gap, right?

• The point is the style of clothes offered. Not that they are the same company. Banana has more dressier options with some casual whereas GAP is mainly all casual everyday!

What Guys Said 22

• To me the answer is yes. A real man cares about the way he looks. That doesn't mean you need to stand in front of the mirror for 3hrs, but putting some effort into your clothes, keeping your hair groomed, facial hair shaved or trimmed. and smelling good are just basic things that any adult should put effort into.

I honestly can't stand guys who walk around in old t-shirts and gym shorts every day, with 5yr old skate shoes. That look is fine after rolling out of bed but you should never go out in public like that. To me it portrays immaturity. By the time you are in your 20's, you should know how to dress at that point.

There is no need to go over the top. I usually just wear a nice t-shirt with good jeans and shoes, maybe every once and a while on the right occasion I'll put on a button down, or a layer up a shirt or sweater over a good t-shirt. I also commonly add a necklace to compliment what I'm wearing. So I'm not walking around in designer suits but I put effort into the way I look. I will tell you, the ladies and men notice. Guys and girls commonly compliment me on the way I dress and on some occasions I've had girls tell their boyfriends to dress more like me. I say, if it makes you feel more confident, then its good.

• If you dress nice, you feel great, when you feel great, you're confident, and when you're confident, girls want you.

I think men should care a little because it does play part in making your first impression whether that is on a girl, a boss, a job interview, etc.

You don't have to make it difficult man. It's always nice to have some nice clothes in your wardrobe. It's a huge bonus if you spend some cash on nice clothes and maybe some cologne. I'm telling you man.. it pays off. Every man is different to whether he feels great in something simple or not. For me, I like dressing like a gentleman and girls take notice.. even my professors at college. Not all men come off heterosexual if they do... that's if you go overboard like these so called "hipsters".

Dress for success, whatever that may be to you or any man reading this. It pays off in many ways

• James Bond and Vito Corleone. Are two people who care deeply about fashion hence the tailored suits. How is spending hours getting fitted for a suit that is from some tailor in Italy not caring about your fashion sense? To me that is the ultimate in vanity and concern for appearances no?

You wear what you feel represents you and the hipsters wear what they feel represents them. If you are hanging out with girls that go for the style you're not into it's proof of one thing only... You are hanging out with the wrong crowd...

to each their own. for you jeans and a t-shirt for some a italian scarf bright red skinny jeans and some tight striped sweater. But clothes don't make the man one iota and a REAL woman knows this

• A real man cares about what he wants to care about, and if that is fashion, then that's his own decision. It is a misconception that there are universal standards for manliness. A man lives his own life as he sees fit, and doesn't concern himself with trying to prove that his way is more manly than anyone else's. As far as I am concerned, a man who designs flamboyant dresses for a living, but doesn't look down his nose at others is FAR more manly than anyone who thinks they can dictate their beliefs to others.

• Fashion? No. Style? Probably to at least some degree.

You probably need something for in between jeans and a t-shirt and a suit, for some occasions.

Hipsters and metrosexuals are pretty different.

I'm not sure you have any idea what you're saying, except some guys apparently try to look good, are successful, and women change.

I did enjoy your deep diatribe about real men not caring. Not that it was based in any sort of historical context. Men of power have always dressed to show it.

Dressing in a relaxed sloppy was is a brand new phenomenon of the lazy modern male.

Fashion? Sure, pay relatively little attention.

But for all of human history, until perhaps today, men took pride in themselves, and that pride extended to how they presented themselves.

• When I wear my french fisherman's sweater the girls all notice, when otherwise, they wouldn't.

That's enough reason for me to pay attenton to fashion!

• First of all, James Bond obviously care about what he wear, how else could he always wear great looking clothes with perfect fit and color coordination?

Second of all, it is not about what you wear, it is about why you wear it.

Basically, a real man don't give a sh*t about what guys like you say. If they think fashion/style is boring they will put in low effort and likely end up with the style you described (which is also common to be found on scared men afraid of sticking out). But if a real man happen to be interested in clothes and likes to use it to express himself, then he will do so and most likely end up looking a bit unusual and be called "f**" by some rednecks.

• please read update

• A guy who dresses over the top could be seen as an attention seeker, but he could also be seen as a guy with balls and some attitude. As I already said, being a "real man" or not is not in the clothes.

Ps. A real man certainly don't care much about what other guys are wearing, he preaches live and let live. Weak men are the once who can't accept other guys clothes (and are possibly closet gays).

• well...if you really want to know, I don't care what other men wear either I only asked this question because I saw Instagram photos of this girl, she was kinda "the one that got away" for me, who got a new boyfriend and he is wearing a full-length cloak jacket that goes down to your ankle, the crap that only Severus Snape from Harry Potter would wear, and yet, this girl actually seem to love it rather than feel embarrassed, like a normal person would.

• "Real man" is subjective and means something different to everyone.

Do what you want, who cares, but don't think you're being any more of a "real man" because In some other culture a real man is someone who decks themselves out with fancy clothing because it shows they are wealthy and successful.

• No not really. If you are smart you will know that eveything comes out of the eyes, as the saying goes, specially for first impressions with women. Having a sense of fashion whatever it might be, gives the impression that you are a an organized, classy and someone who takes care of himself. Women are very picky with what women wear, they will evaluate what you have from what color or design your shoes are, up to how well he gels his hair; this is special true if they dress well themselves.

• ? Hmm well whatever the case if your talking about manhood not sure why it should matter if they dress over the top or far below the bar. "Real men" is a matter of perspective. If they are comfortable in what they have on and can walk around not giving a damn about what other people think that's the real man stuff. The ability to follow your on path reguardless of what other people are saying. Despite the fact that some people indeed may be trying way to hard in the eyes of another.

• No. Men clothes are basically conservative. There is no need to go over the top. Also, it is easy to wear a tux to opening night at the Opera to jeans for just hanging out. We men should never be high maintenance. It is the woman job to be high maintenance. Ladies, just joking about the last statement.

• No a real man shouldn't he should wear what he wants and looks good in.

I think a Guy that's into fashion has to be gay. I'm not saying you are I'm saying is I don't know any straight Guy that's into fashion

• A "real man" will care for appearances, maybe not knowing what shade of burgundy is "in" but he will be a sharp dresser. Something that makes HIM stand out and look good.

• lmao OK there real man! clearly you're not all that confident cause you have to ask this question... and since when does dressing to impress deny confidence... REALLY? dressing up in a specific dress code other than and a t shirt is sign of deep insecurity and narcissim? LOL easy there sith the big words REAL MAN and please teach us some more

• You're kidding right? Bond has always been considered a fashion icon and if you think he wears the simplest suit all the time I strongly suggest you take a look at the movies again.

• Dude, the only thing that makes a Man a Man, is if he has a penis or not. I don't see the issue here.

• I don't care if guys are THAT into fashion, but I sure aint.

• Hello

• Real man? It's all a load of bollocks.

• People have called me hipster before. I dress different, but not to get attention from women. If I wanted to attract women, I'd probably wear a suit everyday.

• big difference between only wearing plain tshirts or a suit and red leather. I think if a guy can afford it and wants to wear something like that then good for them. I'm for individual expression and who are you to say what is over the top. if a guy wants to wear a zebra stripe vest with dress shorts and can pull it off then he should go for it.

• ok...Nobody has EVER used the terms metrosexual or hipster to describe me, I'm very much a typical "manly" guy.

On the other hand, I follow fashion. Because why not?

A suit...what kind? What cut? What material for the jacket? Where do you want the pants to break? are you tailoring the jacket if you carry concealed? I carried a P2000SK for a few years before I got my latest, far smaller P938, and if I got a new suit I had to decide if I wanted to be able to carry without it showing too much.

What tie are you matching with the shirt? Why? What impression do you want the combination of colors to achieve? Are you going for a power combo or a subdued background mix?

I typically wear a leather jacket, jeans, snug black tshirt and jeans. But if I wear a button-down, I know not to wear it with my duster, but with the shorter nappa jacket. If I want to look a little more professional, I'll wear a proper overcoat over a suit. I might typically wear a certain style, but I have the flexibility to change my style, depending on what's needed.

If you've read the Fleming books, you'd know Bond is very particular about which suits he wears, right down to the cufflinks he selects. There are several passages devoted to how he has to change cut, weight, style and accessories when he's in America, or if he's playing a part.

Knowing what to wear and HOW to wear it is vital, it changes how people view you in the workplace, how potential employers see you, everything.

I'd say you're mistaking knowing and caring about fashion with being obsessed with it, and blindly following trends that make no sense. It's a very important distinction.

And as for a suit being all you need...Well, I'm Scottish, so the kilt is kind of my all-purpose wear. Even mroe versatile than a suit, and makes a far bigger impression on most women.

• A real man just wears whatever he wants wether it be simple or fashionable