Guys, eye makeup preferences?

Lately I've been loving looks with heavier eye makeup and nude lips. Assuming all of these eye makeup looks come with no lip makeup or a light pink/peach/beige lip, what do you prefer for every day, date night, etc.?

I had some guys tell me they liked me better with no makeup before, but when I didn't wear makeup for one guy he admitted he wanted me to look that way to be "less intimidating." It gets me upset when guys scrutinize my makeup choice with a "I'd like to see your natural beauty" then tell me they wanted me to look worse on purpose to make them feel less small. -.-

So, I want honest opinions!

Here are the choices with example links:

There's natural (just mascara and maybe a nude eyeshadow, especially for ladies with light lashes that need to be colored): link

"Natural" eyeliner (super thin lines at the lash line, can be with or without a light nude eyeshadow) link

Smoky (dark eyeshadow in different shades around the eye) :

light smoky: link

Dark smoky: link

Eyeliner all the way around (can be cat-eye like) : link

Cat eye (just the top lid): link

Or a hybrid (lighter brown eyeshadow as a liner, beige eyeshadow at the corners): link

Thanks!

• "Natural"
  • Smoky
  • Cat-eye/all around eyeliner
  • Hybrid
  • No makeup!
What about for a pale girl with warm-toned skin, light blue eyes and red hair?
So far natural is in the lead, followed by cat eye, then smoky for the guys. So I guess hybrid is the safest way to go if you aren't sure what your guy likes. :)
Another good "natural" look: link
I LOVE this look: link

Most Helpful Guy

• As a general rule for me, the least amount of makeup a woman wears the better so I will pick natural any day. I want to touch a womans face, kiss her and not come away with a whole bunch of makeup on me haha. Cat eyes are extremely unnatractive to me, can't stand them. HOWEVER, makeup has it's occasions; while I'm an avid supporter for natural, smokey eyes for example could be better suited for a specific occasion. And I'm a sucker for the whole rocker girl look but they usually wear heavy eye shadow. Of the description of your yourself that you have provided, I think natural would suit you best :)

What Guys Said 18

• @update, you like the Jackie Chan look? Lol, on a more serious note, that make up is sexy and not too heavy. Props to women because you all go though some painstaking stuff to look your best.

• Bahaha. The link is the most I will ever do, but yeah, we try. Thanks :D

• Eyeliner for sure. I wish it was more socially acceptable for guys to wear it lol. It makes your eyes look so intense...

• Idk, I think some straight guys can pull it off if it's a thin black/dark brown line and they have dark hair. That being said, I can't stand it when guys I date give unsolicited comments about how I "should" do my makeup, whether they know anything or not (they usually don't).

• Yeah guys definitely have different opinions on makeup so just wear however much you want. If a guy says something like that on a first date, tell him if he doesn't like it, he can suck your balls. If he's a confident guy, he'll laugh it off. If he gets defensive or butthurt, he's an insecure a**hole so forget about him. If you end up in a relationship, then you can start compromising.

• Usually a guy's definition of compromise = "give up all your freedom to cater to me." I'm just going to do what I want, and if he complains, his ass will get dumped. If he wants customizable makeup, he can get a RealDoll. Thanks. :)

• I like the light smokey eye look with pastel-like colors...absolutely go crazy for it. Such a strong fetish and I have no idea why! ;-)

• Not cat-eye. Smokey is nice. If a girl never ever wears make up in her life, that's boring. But always wearing make up 24/7 is boring too!

• I'm honestly curious as to what women look like - (where I live I simply feel like there's men, and then there's just walking make up coated things...) It's frankly creepy... maybe I don't want to know. I feel that ladies should at least go two days without any make up.

• LOL but it's art on your face! XD Actually whenever I wore no makeup to work, I got way less respect from customers...

• The "natural" is really attractive to the eye.

• The mascara only? Or the "natural" eyeliner?

• I don't really know. Let's say the overall application of the make-up.

• Ahh like the redhead in the first pic? Mascara is awesome!

• Id say natural, but hybrid is pretty close. Natural is just the right amount, I don't like it when girls overdo their makeup.

• Natural, to much makeup scares me, and I feel like they're trying to hide behind their makeup.

• Natural eyeliner or just mascara?

• either or, but probably not both.

• Ahh okay. Girls with dark lashes can do just eyeliner.

• I just answered Smoky.

However it depends on the occasion and time (morning , evening ) and the girl herself (face type color )

• I personally like it when girls do the dark smoky and the all around cat eye.

• Haha cool, I get dark brown liner and do it all the way around sometimes with a liquid eyeliner pen. Very rock-chic IMO. :)

• seriously depends on the girl IMO.

her style and personality and hair color change it for me.

Though personally. I find that on those that can pull it off I like the cat-eye one the best. And while I'm usually a minimalist I have seen the wing tip done well also.

link

• See, that is cute. I love that. I will do my eyes up like that with dark brown liner but never with red lipstick. Nude for the win!

• your last sentence... sounds... never mind

• Omg you're right! LOL

• "Natural" eyeliner or eyeliner all the way around.

• No makeup. I think natural is the way to go.

• I don't mind makeup as long as it isn't too much lol

• i like the last picture you posted

• Yeah, I noticed Candice had some really awesome eye makeup looks, and I feel like her style is an anytime, anywhere look you can easily achieve with the lightest and darkest shades of Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips eyeshadow/bronzer and mascara. Boom, done.

• natural I guess

• You should worry less about what others think and focus more on what you like.

At the end of the day guys don't give a f*** what eye shadow you're wearing. As long as you own it that's what we care about. We like a woman with confidence who isn't afraid to wear the wrong shade of eye shadow.

• Depends where you're at.

If you're clubbin go for the dark smokey.

If its day to day business go for the light smokey with nude lipstick.

• The light smokey looks fun. I kind of do that with all bronzey/copper shadows. I can't pull off dark smokey or else I look like I got punched I'n both eyes x_x.

• Go for metallic shades at night time then?

• Sounds good. The ones I wear are very "fiery" compared to a regular smokey eye.

What Girls Said 12

• I think it's really occasion dependent.

I mean, I wear all those looks from time to time, and generally get compliments on it; I think it's just about wearing something suitable; and done well. Like a very dark smokey eye, I'd probably only wear out clubbing or something similar; and my day to day look being something more like the 'hybrid' link you posted.

Most guys like make-up that looks good. They don't tend to care what the look is, as long as it's done well and suits the wearer - nothing too out there and embarrassing. So just go with a look you like.

• Hmm nice to know what guys like (if ever I'll consider it >:D )

Haha but I do (everyday just about-except the weekends) mascara and a little amber/bronze shimmer eyeshadow just to create a smoky look and to offset my eyes.

link

link

is this kind of look okay?

it's actually really nice to know people still appreciate a natural face

• Oh, I'm right with you. I LOVE bronze/copper eyeshadow. It makes blue eyes pop and accentuates red hair. If your skin tone is warm, anyone can pull it off IMO. Almay Play Up The Blue and Physician's Formula shimmer strips in Sunset Strip is a great set too. I just bought Vegas Strip (lighter palette) a while ago and I'm going to try it for the hybrid look.

I'll also wear a pearly gold/champagne color as my nude for more brightness, then use dark brown eyeliner. :)

• That sounds awesome!

And yes, that deep bronzey colors are just amazing and actually really really versatile.

I've never used a dark brown eyeliner but know a lot of girls who prefer it over black.

• I usually do just a nude eyeshadow (sometimes nude sparkly), mascara, and sometimes a little eyeliner.

From these pictures, I really like light smokey. I would like to learn how to do that.

• @update: I have pale, warm skin too (though my hair is blond and my eyes are amber). For warm tones I recommend dark brown eyeliner and mascara instead of black. And for blue eyes, silver or gray eyeshadow looks really nice.

• Once you know how, smokey eyes, especially the 'light smokey' linked are really easy. For a basic smokey eye you just need two eyeshadows; generally the same color in two tones. One light and the other dark. Sweep the light color over the lid. Then the dark color into the crease of your eye. Then use a clean, fluffy brush, and in really small circles blend that color out until there's no hard line between the skin tone and eyecolor.

Then instead of using eyeliner under the eye, use shadow.

• Thank you! :D I'm thinking a gold shimmery champagne color and a nice taupe for the light smoky.

• I'm actually surprised to see how many guys actually care about a girls eye make up. Most of my guy friends just would not care at all.

• This question is really well laid out, so it's easy to answer.

• Aww thanks. Yeah, I just want honest opinions because some of my exes had messed up opinions, like "cover up because you need it" or "don't wear anything so I feel less intimidated and more worthy to date you."

• actually they most of the guys I know comment on girls with eye make up and they really like it but not when it is to much

• I hardly ever have makeup on. The most I put on would be mascara so you can see my eye lashes. But other than that it's always my real face.

• I think just little makeup is enough as it help emphasis our features. I only put the natural eye liner on and I love it because it makes my eyes stand out very much, but at the same time, it's not too much so the emphasis stays on my eyes rather than the make up.

• Good point! For me, if I have mascara, tinted moisturizer and lip gloss, I am good to go anywhere without feeling embarrassed.

• Wow, all of them look amazing! I could never have the guts to put on those looks

• It takes a lot of practice to find out how to shape it right for your eye. I once did "sunset eyes" (light blue on the bottom, with yellow-gold, bronze, and fuchsia on the top lids because we had a "luau' at work, and I got some sarcastic comments about it, but whatever.

• smokey eyes are hot

• Interesting, I never knew guys had a preference!

• Your "natural" isn't exactly natural. It is the use of a light hand of makeup.

Why not include true natural, nude eyes as an option?

• Look at the poll. "No makeup" is an option.

• Ahh my bad. I'm posting a pic now, thanks :)

• This girl is pretty and can pull it off, but my lashes are even lighter and I'm not brave like that lol. link

• natural

• brunettes can get away with smoky eyes and eyeshadow colors it really makes the brown eyes and brown hair pop!

but for blondes or redheads natural is best, cause they already have striking blue/green eyes with contrasting hair, so if they were to add more color or drama it would be too much

overall, I think guys like eye makeup, at least from my experience I've never gotten complaints only compliments, however the one thing guys hate is foundation, concealer, bronzer, blush and face stuff that's when you become a mask and are un-natural. but eye makeup is okay and its all about art and fun, its not covering your identity...

• I'm more of a natural to hybrid kind of person. Typically natural though. I've never been crazy about wearing a lot of eye/lip makeup.