Horrible self confidence issues? Or people being nice?

I always have thought I was ugly. Was told this growing up when I was in grade school and I started believing it. Throughout high school I never had a boyfriend at all and still thought I was ugly and accepted it. I wasn't the skinniest either so I guess that played a part. Not overly chubby either! Once I graduated it seemed that I started to grow into my looks somehow and people started noticing me more. Men started calling me pretty, gorgeous, sexy, beautiful. I'm seriously scared of compliments like that and I have no idea why. I can't accept any man thinking good things about me. Maybe because of how people knocked me down for years? Are these guys just being nice? To me my looks haven't changed at all and I feel I'm still the same person so why only now are they noticing anything nice about me?

Most Helpful Guy

• sounds like you're the ugly duckling who grew into swan. you don't see yourself as beautiful since for so long you were told that you aren't. now without a picture I can't say for sure but generally speaking guys don't rush to tell unattractive people how beautiful they are. Trust that you are beautiful and learn to see that in yourself

What Guys Said 3

• I know how you feel from personal experience as well. Growing up I was always known as the fat guy and everyone had something to say about my weight or make comments about me eating and to this day I still see that fat guy. I am not thin by any means and still have a lot to lose but I think I slightly lost a bit, but still perceive myself as f***ing huge. A lot of the sh*t really messed with my head

• It must be that you're an ugly duckling.

As you age, you come to be more beautiful, and now you're a swan among the ducks.

• I think so you should be more confident about your looks and overall personality since that is something that matters the most...take compliments as a fuel to boost your confidence an dnt think much about it

What Girls Said 1

• Can you post a before and after pic? So we could judge if they are genuine compliment