Shampoo and conditioner suggestions?

I am trying to grow my hair out, but my hair is prone to split ends. I don't have as much of a problem with breakage, but I definitely have an issue with split ends. I straighten or curl my hair, but I do all I can to protect it. I don't blow dry it, I use heat protectant spray, and I try not to straighten or curl it every day. No matter what I seem to do, I still get split ends. I need recommendations of a good shampoo that can help this issue? I have tried Tresseme Split Remedy shampoo and conditioner along with the slit end cream. I wasn't very impressed with the results. I have tried Clear Scalp Therapy, which works better but I still do not see a huge improvement against split ends or having smoother, shinier hair. I have tried the Dove Damage shampoo and I don't feel like that did anything either. I always buy into the commercials for products like these, but I am never super happy with the results. I want to protect against split ends, but I also want softer, shinier hair. Is there a product out there I can use without breaking the bank?

I am also open to using a product that goes along with the shampoo, like a leave in treatment after my shower or someting like that

Most Helpful Girl

• Before I cut my hair short, I used to be super careful about how I treated my hair. It used to be down to my butt, and I researched ingredients. I have some tips here but message me if you want more detail:

1) Do not use brushes. Comb your hair instead.

2) No heat-styling. Blow-dry with cool air if you must. If it's long enough, braid it to protect it.

3) Dove conditioner is AMAZING. Same with John Frieda's Radiant Red conditioner; I use that now and it's almost too much for me.

4) If your hair is long enough, coat the ends with a cheap, non-silicone conditioner like Alberto VO5 before you shampoo your scalp (only apply to the scalp!) then rinse it all out, then condition with one of the products I listed above.

5) It really doesn't matter what shampoo you use unless you count your scalp's needs (dandruff, etc.) or if you don't want one that leaves a greasier, smoother finish (like with silicone or an extra-gentle, non-sulfate "natural" shampoo like Organix). The length of your hair will be adequately washed anyway.

6). If your hair is wavy or curly, I recommend a gel or mousse, and maybe a leave-in conditioner underneath. Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship is heavy but a good leave-in, and so is Aussie's spray leave-in conditioner for lighter conditioning needs.

7) Try not to cut your hair unless you have bad split ends. As in, maybe 3 months minimum between trims.

Bets of luck. Hope this helped.

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 6

• If you want your hair to grow you'll have to pretty much eliminate heat styling from your routine. I know, it sucks but even if you use a protectant direct heat tools rob your hair of moisture causing it to become dry and break or in your case, major split ends. I try to limit using my flat iron to once a month and I never blow dry anymore. No shampoo will get rid of them for you, you'll have to trim them off and to prevent them low manipulation with your hair is key. Most of those shampoos have harsh sulfates in them that actually dry out your hair, always read the ingredients label! Try sulfate free shampoos and moisturizing conditioners like Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner and moisturize your hair! Daily if you can. Also try protective hair styles that hide your ends from the elements, your clothing etc...personally I love sock buns since I never have to use heat in my hair. ^_^

• I have started taking a hair and nail vitamin which has worked amazingly. its called natures bounty hair, nails, and skin vitamin. I always receive compliments.

• I'm a swimmer and I had the same problem. I started using the aveeno shampoo and used the macadamia repair mask (3 days a week)Now my hair is almost to my belly button and it is much healthier. I straighten/ curl my hair 4 times a week.

• Learn on how to properly taken care your hair. Did you know that every type of hair there is specific care that you need to follow. Make an appointment for consultation.

• Using heat a lot does damge your hair and causes it to dry out which causes split ends. So does washing everyday. I wash mine every other day. I would suggest using extra virgin olive oil on your hair once a week. Just leave it in for about 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on how thick your hair is. Then rinse it out well. I would suggest rinsing it out in a sink though since it makes the shower floor slippery. It will make your hair shinier and smoother. I have done this and I have naturally curly hair and I get split ends all the time. It seems to help though. I sometimes do use a hair mask. Eversleek hair mask works pretty good. As for growing your hair longer there isn't a lot you can do since hair actually grows to a certain length before falling out. Everyone is different and it all depends on genetics as well. Getting your hair cut every 6 weeks can also help but just the split ends. Although I can suggest a hair product called "fast". It is supposed to help your hair grow faster but you can only buy it online. I don't know anyone who has used this product but you can always try it and see if it works. Also you might can try hair, skin, and nail vitamins. You can probably get them at your nearest health food store. Hope I helped!

• i honestly think you need to get trims to keep your split ends out. if you don't cut your splits they get worse and may break the hair further up than if you had just trimmed it. my hair was super long but I just chopped 2-3 inches because my ends were not awful but not great anymore and I was worried they were breaking too much.

i get keratin treatments so I use sulfate free hair products. I like the organix line myself but there are plenty of others. a lot of the good shampoos and conditioners do have sulfates so I can't/don't use them.