Are 40 inch hips unhealthy for a 5'1 girl?

I'm 5'1 and about 64kg or 141lbs so I'm quite overweight. My measurements are 35-28-40. My mum thinks my hips are huge and my measurements on a short person would make them look kind of stumpy lol. Before I didn't think my hips sounded huge but now that I think about it they do sound quite big especially for someone my height, but then again I like big hips! So even though I have a good waist-hip ratio, is my hip measurement unhealthy for someone my height?

Most Helpful Guy

• Would need to see a photo, words are cool and everything but you they don't do an image justice. No idea how it looks

What Guys Said 1

• I would guess that its less unhealthy then if you had more of an apple shape, but probably more unhealthy then if you were 15-20 lbs lighter.

What Girls Said 3

• There is no such thing as an 'unhealthy' hip measurement. You can be overweight, have a high body fat percentage, an unhealthy waist measurement, but not an 'unhealthy' hip measurement. There is nowhere in all of medical literature that suggests a 'healthy' hip size range. Waist/hip ratio and waist/height ratio is more important, both of which are healthy in your case. The only issue would be the weight, which for the height is about 10lb overweight, however this could be muscle for all we know.

• I would say it is a bit, but really, storing extra weight on your waist is what's really bad for you. Hips aren't so much of a problem.

• 141 at 5'1 is overweight. Losing 10 lbs will get you into a healthier weight range