Why don't people smile more?

Lolol, my question sounds stupid . . but I'm serious though. Everyone looks so much more attractive when they smile, and smiling is contagious . . and when another person smiles you can't help but smile back. But nowadays, I feel like everywhere I go . . people just look mad at life. Like, if I'm going somewhere . . I'll smile at anybody that walks by me, and they just give me the death stare lol. Not EVERYONE, but more females then guys. Yesterday, I went to chipotle, and the girl that was making my burrito looked so upset, and didn't even smile once. Soo, when I was taking my money out . . I was taking a long time and my friend was making fun of me for taking so long, & I said "Sorry, I was distracted by her booootiful face" and it was the cutest thing ever, the girl working there put on the biggest smile, and aw. It just made me want to put a smile on every face I encountered that day.

I just hate seeing seeing people unhappy, and I think even if you aren't having a good day, you should try your best to stay positive.

So I wanted to know, if someone walks by you and smiles, do you smile back? or do you just not pay attention to it at all. . . or even when you're having a bad day & you're stuck at work . . do you try to smile through it or do you let your mood affect you?

Most Helpful Guy

• you know what? that is actually an interesting question...I mean some people are what I call "smile and happiness radiant"...I adore those...they have a super hero ability in staying positive in the darkest times...sometimes they based such attitude on"faith" that there is God and that he won't let them down...some of them focus on the positives of any bad event, like what do they can learn from what happened.

For me, I think it is not just a smile, it is an attitude that can be radiant and help others even if without a smile...

Funny thing is, in our Islamic sharea -the one that fanatics (religiouphobic & extremists) dislike to show nor admit- a believer is told to have a credit in life and after life with just smiling to other people...there even a special door in heaven for those who smiles and cheer up others (I know it sound fantasia for some people but just humor me and try to get my point).

Anyway, I salute you for being one of those :-)

Uh I forgot to say, the explanation is, the world is really full...no seriously lately the world is filled with many global sad events that is depressing many over the world.

What Guys Said 19

• I couldn't agree more. I live in a town that they think their jelly-beans don't stink. Even when approached with a smile and a warm greeting they are just mellow toned. I just want to back slap some of em,lol. THAT would make me smile even more.

lol

I work in a store front that we get a lot of tourist and I get a lot of compliments for being so nice, kind, and professional. I got three proposals to manage other owners business just because of the kindness is so rare,lol.

Anyway my smile is contagious as well as others for me so I do not get all the credit. Life is too short to be depressed about most things out of our control anyway so why worry , smile spread the love and be kind to people.

As well as a significant other or just everyday people we cross paths with throught the day. Give everyone a new clean slate. Others who caused a frown does not mean that you did . So If I never met you YOU get a free smile :),

And If I know you most likely we will both be smiling because we bvacame friends because of kindness lol.

Good question girly. This is just for YOU " :) "

• Sighh, that was beauuuutifuul <3 lol. & good for you, I love that in people. Especially if you're working, and you're kind of expected to look approachable & friendly towards your customers. I remember I went to eat out at a restaurant once & the waitress there was so kind, and outgoing, and she made me want to hug her & go to the restaurant just because of the way she carried herself lol. I just feel like you could make someone's day just by smiling at them, you know? & Lol, hoooow cutee :D

• Awwww you're a sweetheart. I would definitely make your day as you would mine I'm sure :)

• This is not a stupid question. I agree with you, but I must say I am also one of those people who don't smile that much. I was called arrogant and unapproachable a few times because of that, but in fact I am not like that at all... I just use this "dark" look like a shield. I do not trust people very much, and that's because of some things from my early years...

I just have this thoughts in my head, that everyone will and would do something against me if it benefits them in some way, so I am in my defensive mode all the time...

Also sometimes when someone is passing next to me, and smile at me, I just think they smile AT me because of something... I am just not used to it...

I hope this helps even a bit, understanding why at least some people don't smile more,but you look like a good girl, so here is one smile for you... :)

• smiling at random girls is the best :)

• Just don't smile with your chin to your neck with your eyebrows angry. It might creep her out

• When I'm out and if I can get

eyecontact with people I always

give them a nod and a smile.

I think people are just busy thinking

of all the bad stuff that happens to them

rather than the good things? ^.~

• Aw, that's so cute. I love it when I'm walking, & a stranger smiles at me & then I smile back. It's just an aw moment lol. I completely agree with you though :3

• it just makes an encounter or

conversation more.. fun? hard

to describe, but if I can make

another person smile, then

I'm happy with that ^.~

• I just started smiling again this year. Its hard because I was diagnosed having depressive disorder and I live in Alaska where it stays dark and cold 8 months out of the year but I try to stay as positive as I can and think about the good things I have.

• that's awesome :) I have so much respect for people who are able to stay positive even in the worst of times. I don't blame you though, if I lived in Alaska . . I think I would probably become depressed too because I notice myself feeling randomly down during the winter time.

• Hey there. :D If its pretty cold outside then don't let that fire in you die out. Keep the optimism alive! And and spread it by smiling. :D Keep it up! I am happy for you. :)

• Music, singing and art makes me happy :)

• I try to smile as much as possible. I just think of a funny thought and BAM... joker type grin.

It helps that I'm a goofball by nature.

• well I'm not going to be walking around with the biggest smile on my face for no reason lol. That would feel odd

• Loool, nooo not a HUGE smile where you look like you're constipated . . just a little smile. Like, if you're walking in the same direction as a stranger and you two make eye contact . . do you just frown? lol

• I just have a meh or serious looking face lol. Generally when people are walking towards me they just look at the ground til I pass them so I don't think smiling would do anything anyway lol

• Some people just don't care.

• If people yad something to smile about, they would probably smile more.

• I don't look good when I smile lol :D That's why I prefer to smile more ^^

• You mean you don't look good when you *don't smile lol. I agree tho, a smile suits everyone better ^_^

• Nah, I am serious it doesn't look good on me ;( I look ugly when I smile :D

• The world can be a very cruel place sometimes. But the moments that do make us smile are the best. If not very often.

• Because smiling in the wrong situation can be awkward.

• Nothing is awkward until someone makes it to be lol.

• Yeah but quite a lot of people are afraid to be labeled as awkward or creepy when they start a smile so they rather not take the risk.

• BTW if I worked at a Mexican restraunant and made tacos, and burritos all day I, too would be pissed after smelling all those farts, all day long.

• Trust me when I smile little children have nightmares, birds fall from the sky and women pour acid on their eyes.

• i have nothing to smile for . I'm undesirable to women and I'm pathetic

• It takes less muscles to have no facial expressions than it does to smile. So I'll opt with the lesser amount of work.

• because I'm ugly , and no girl will find me attractive if I smile or not

• Ugh, I hate it when people put themselves down like this. Why are you ugly? Not everyone has the same taste, and everyone's perspective of beauty is obviously different. So how can you say no girl will ever find you attractive? Learn to love yourself & be confident with who you are and you'll see for yourself.

• Well I've approached more than a 100 girls they all rejected me ( no I do not go after cute ones) , some called me ugly .i used to like myself , but after seeing I'm undesirable what's the point ?

• I'm the same way. Women/Girls only want hot guys with muscles, money etc.

• 5 star and not a stupid question. I think people are used to hate and hate is easier to spread for some reason. Hurt people hurt people. Pain is spread more than love even though it is more pleasurable to spread love. People tend to feel more comfortable holding onto their baggage. If more people smiled and more people were kind then more people would smile and more people would be kind. People are too afraid to get hurt over and over and trust issues abound with strangers. We are taught from a young age to not trust strangers. We also hear that if someone is smiling then it is creepy or they want something from you. Glad you asked this.

• Mostly because they just don't have good smiles. I mean, if you knew you didn't like your smile, would you still do it?

• Aww, come on . . you can't just never smile because you dislike your smile. Everyone looks cuter when they smile lol :D

• Ooop, that's not nice lol. The only person that freaks me out when they smile & they should never, ever smile is the joker ... he used to scare the sh*t out of me as a child lol.

• Then there you go, there's your person that shouldn't smile...we all have them, it's just a matter of who it is that you don't like

What Girls Said 14

• Hahaha I was thinking the same yesterday.

I took with my friend to hospital, because she had a difficulty in breathing because of her allergy. So she needed an immediate solution.

We went to the emergency department, and all people there (except one person) never smiled, and didn't allow her to enter the emergency, instead they asked her to go to a specialist. When she asked them where is the specialist, they were all like "We don't know". Like they don't even want to look at her, or talk with her. I felt really sad, that I had to say it out loud "I think you should at least smile at a patient, if you can't solve her problem, you should at least give her a psychological comfort", and I took my friend and went out to find the right doctor.

I always have this rule: "Smile, because everybody you see in front of you, has tons of problems too". I smile at everybody. even if I was in a bad mood, I would just force my facial expression to draw a smile. I think this would open people's hearts to you, and break many awkward walls.

• I agree completely. I'm usually always smiling, even if I don't intend to. I have a naturally smiley face but nothing beats the big happy smile :D

Ive noticed that smiling tends to often people up. When people give me attitude or just don't like me, I can always get them to smile by flashing them a big smile. At times, it can be difficult to smile because of the bad things going on but its best to stay positive and smile anyway. :D

• You guys should visit here! Everyone tends to smile at everyone here. By the way I'm from the Philippines. I don't know it's just our nature. Even when floods are happening, you could see people from the roofs of their houses waving and smiling on the cameras, street kids play basketball then smiles at the cameras (still during that flood), and all that. We just have this tank of optimism in us that can never be empty. And thus, we smile a lot. :D

Here you go: smiles for everyone! :) :) :D

• Lol, that's so cute :3 One of my really good friends is from the Philippines & I notice this in her family too. They're always smiling, & ugh I love it <3 I'm gonna definitely visit there one day lol. YOU HAPPY FILIPINOS :D

• Awgh! :D That is lovely. Her family makes you feel really warm with their company do they?:> Visit us here when it's not 37 degrees. Ugh. It's pretty hot here now lol :)) Glad to have made you smile with that smiley. Haha :D :D

And here's some positive links like that basketball during flood thing I mentioned:

Posted by Kevin Durant!

link

• And here's another one:

link

Spread the optimism honey, God bless you ;)

• Good question! Personally I walk around with a normal expression and when I think about something hilarious then I start to smile and try to stifle my laughter because its seen as weird to laugh by oneself. I would smile at others more, but sometimes politeness is misinterpreted as flirting, so maybe that's why people don't smile much?

• I completely agree with you. Don't you notice its worse on the bus/subway? everyone looks so serious hahahaha...

• Lmfaooo, yesss. On the subway, people are either super creepy or they're just mad. Like, me & my friends are always the idiots that end up laughing at everything . . . & everyone just stares at us ...mad lol. But, oh welllll, it's a SUBWAY not a public library lol -.- Soooo, they can shove itt, hahah.

• :D

I smile when there's a reason to smile.

• Lol, well that makes sense. But, what if you don't really have a reason to smile . . . do you just look upset the whole day?

• nah, I look like this (:|) when I'm upset I look like this (>:|)

• @Answerer lol "nah, I look like this (:|) when I'm upset I look like this (>:|)" what an ability to draw how you look like in various situations :D :D

• I only smile when happy.. laughing.. or thinking about it...

and even then.. It's often a half smile...

• Ugh, it I a stupid question because you can't tell people what to do with their faces or tell them what their mood is based on how they use their facial muscles. People that smile too often for no reason are creepy. I only smile when I'm laughing or when I talk to people about something happy. Otherwise I don't smile because I don't f***ing want to I am just not the type of person to smile for no reason. I'm not upset in fact I am usually pretty happy, when I do smile a lot people think it is okay to come talk to me and expect me to be nice. You have the right to smile and think others look better when they do smile but it is not okay to tell others to smile.

• Lol, when did I say that I go up to people & tell them to smile? Obviously, people can do whatever they want with their face. You're missing the whole point of the question. It's not asking about your facial muscles and how you use them, I'm just simply wanting to know how people handle themselves . .. even if they're going through difficult situations. I just think that when people are smiling or make an attempt to have a positive outlook on things..they are more approachable as individuals.

• And? You can think that but it means nothing.

• You are entitled to your own opinions, and I am entitled to mine. & I think it means SOMETHING :)

• God, you're one of those happy-go-lucky people aren't you.

But seriously, for most people it's just not something they put much thought into. Most of the time, I have my face in what I consider to be a 'neutral' mode, but it looks like a scowl! Even when I'm in a good mood, most of the time.

Waa, I was born this way. :'(

• Problems pile up as you get older. That doesn't really trigger a smile and it makes smiling for no reason less likely.

• That is what I want to know. Whenever I go out, I try to smile yet I see so many unhappy people. People discourage me from smiling. LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE AND SMILE MORE!

• I was thinking about this except this opposite

Why do people ask this stupid question? People don't have to smile. You don't know their lives

• If you thought this was a stupid question . . then why answer it? why not just ignore it & move on . & I'm sorry, but please do tell me when I said people HAD to smile? If you read my whole entire description on the question . . you would understand it a little bit more.

• Why do you care if people smiled more? Why is it your problem?

• Because I'm a caring person. Look, people can do whatever they want, I'm obviously not going to go around and force smiles on peoples faces. I mean we all have problems in life, but that doesn't mean we have to walk around miserable all the time. I just wanted to get people's thoughts and opinions on this topic because I wanted to know if they let things in their lives affect them or if they get through it with a positive outlook. Which I PERSONALLY feel is the best way to go at things.

• If I'm not mad or upset, I'm pretty much smiling (at least a little) all the time, haha! And I laugh A LOT!

• I have one of those scowly faces- it does that naturally- probably because my eyesight sucks and I can't ever EVER find my friggin glasses. But if someone smiles at me I smile back, sure. BUT... when someone walks by and says SMILE, ITS NOT THAT BAD, I say "my face hurts when I smile", because don't tell me what to do. I hate that, I'm not a performing monkey.