Only female in the group of men?

Girls, are you comfortable being the only female among a group of men? The way I was raised is that it's not a good look, it's not proper, can be potentially unsafe and that it's just not the thing to do. You either hang out with girls, mixed company, or just 1-on-1 with you and a man but never multiple men who aren't related to you.

But I know of girls who are consider themselves "one of the guys" and even girls who aren't really tomboys but just like being around nothing but men a lot. I'm not judging but it's just...different. I wouldn't feel comfortable. Not saying that ALL men are bad, but some are and you can't control what they will do or say. It's easy to get a bad reputation that way or be harmed if for any chance the any one of the guys you are around turn out to be unsavory.

Do you think my way of thinking is old fashioned and outdated, or good common sense?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think your way of thinking is outdated. I think you're wise to think about it. It depends on the guys in question. If you were my daughter, I would encourage you not to spend a lot of time as the only women with guys with whom you're not comfortable and don't know well.

Having said that, I have known a few women who are quite comfortable with "the guys", and in fact preferred hanging out with us rather than the ladies. I prefer those women as they have a certain quality about them that I find appealing. It seems to moderate some of the more typical female behaviors and they seem to understand men better. I married one of them and I'm a lucky man.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 5

• As a girl with 18 male cousins and a majority of male friends...I have no issue being around guys all the time. Since I only have two female friends it's pretty safe to say that I'll be the only girl in the group of guys. I see no issue with this.

Of course, my guy friends are the nerdy ones who play video games and who think watching Disney movies and drinking apple juice is a party.

I've never been painted as a whore nor a slut. I never got a reputation from it other than being the totally awesome girl who all the guys want to hang out with because she isn't dramatic and never plays the "girl" card :p

• Kinda old-fashioned, yeah. Not that I'm knocking it if you want to do that. Personally, I don't have a problem hanging out with just my guy friends. Usually it's a mixed group because I have more female friends than male friends, but if that's not the case it doesn't bother me. They're good guys, and we have fun regardless. I don't have a whole lot of friends, but the ones I do have I trust.

• Depends on the guys. I don't hang around guys all the time, but if the situation brings me to hang around with a group of guys and no girls, maybe because none of my girlfriends want to do something, then I'll do it with the guys. But I'll only feel comfortable if I already know them for some time.

• Alot of women are like you. No big deal.

• I have more guy friends then girls but the few girls I consider friends are very close.