Do I look anorexic?

Especially my arms/ chest. I've been training to run a marathon but my arms became really weird/ scary looking link link :( I love running! But I definitely don't want to look anorexic... so do I?

Most Helpful Girl

• sorry, you kinda do.But a lot of models and such are that skinny, they just don't wear tight tank tops, they do more of the trendy baggy clothes that fit loose but stylish. Try that :)

What Guys Said 11

• If you want the best marathon time you can get, I wouldn't worry about aesthetics too much. If you merely want to complete a marathon in a decent time, continue your training but eat significantly more (enough so that you're gaining weight everyday).

This is what anorexia looks like --

link

link

Don't let insecure chubby girls on the internet make you think you're some type of freak cause you have an athletic build rather than achieving their perspective of "normal" "ok", and "healthy". Women in today's society literally spend the majority of their time degrading other women. Their opinions are hardly unbiased or knowledgeable. Their biggest target is skinny people, where they've extremely skewed the qualifications of anorexia and that's a large contributor in our growing obesity problem. So please ignore these people. Skinny is not synonymous with anorexia. Skinny is not unhealthy. Not exercising is unhealthy. Not eating is unhealthy. You do both these things. So don't worry about the opinion of the public masses. They are, on a large part, extremely ignorant.

• I'll assume you are not anorexic but yes it does. It looks like you're really lacking muscle tone.

I'd say make sure you are eating healthy. Distance running can cause this look (I mean just watch those runners in the olympics but those people want to look like that because the lighter the are the quicker they can be) but it doesn't have to. You may need to eat more carbs, proteins or at least take some supplements

You can also make sure that you do some light strength training for toning those upper body and arm muscles (so high reps at low weight)

• I actually want to avoid putting on more muscle because they are actually already pretty muscular, maybe this picture is a bit better link , I'm sorry if I disgust you with this picture I know it looks repulsive :/

• carbs, proteins? I mean there is no way to go about getting more weight in the arms without putting on weight in general, but to get it to focus on the arms and shoulders you would have to do workouts specific to those areas. So lat and trap pulldowns, bicep and tricep curls. If you do low weights with high reps you won't bulk up but you may get more tone... Otherwise aside from running less I don't know how you would put weight (presumably) fat in those specific body parts

• You're thin, but you have a reason " I've been training to run a marathon" not from an eating disorder.

• You're very thin. I would watch your calorie intake and make sure you're getting enough.

• No, but almost.

• you look like you gotta put on a few kilos indeed.

• You are very thin - that's right, but that don't mean You are anorectic girl. Before running eat some sweets with much calories, and after excercises eat something with a large amount of protein.

• your definitely not.

• Many runners look that thing. Anorexia is an eating disorder. You look like a long distance runner.

• No, not at all. You look fine.

• Your definitely skinny but I don't think you look anorexic.

What Girls Said 8

• Ya sorry. Not sure if I would say you look anorexic, but you certainley look to thin. You don't look healthy anymore. I know long distance runners are always thin but to me it really looks like you're compromising your health

There is no reason to stop running though. Just eat more, if you can't do it naturally, there are always weight gain shakes and bars

• Check with your doctor with what your ideal weight should be, and consult him. I mean its hard to say if someone looks anorexic with a few pics of your arms. I mean they are quiet small compared to mine. If you feel like you are getting too skinny eat A PROPER DIET to help gain weight slowly and safely. If your happy with how you look, and your doctor says you healthy at your current weight, no need to worry. If you unhappy with how your starting to look and you doctor says your healthy, then maybe gain alittle more weight properly until you feel just right. Health is key! So check with your doctor to make sure you are at your ideal weight you should be at, and go from there. Hope that helped :)

• Yes. Also when training for a marathon you need to increase your calorie intake to help build muscle and tone your body to a healthy shape

• Yes, you are too skinny. Why don't you gain some weight? You have been training a lot. You need to eat more, especially more protein containing food.

• wow your really skinny! I'm not gonna say you look anorexic because that is mean.

• more important- how do you feel? do you have energy or do you feel weak? I think you have a good runner's body, runner's are supposed to be thin, less weight to carry around. Since you are working out more, eat more calories than you usually do, and be sure they are quality cals from fresh fruits and veggies... Personally I am very jealous of your arms! When ever I work out/ go running I feel my fat weighing me down it feels like its not part of me.. like a fat suit... I feel my muscle hidden underneath it.. I know I would be so much more efficient without it, very low body fat is my goal... if you want to gain weight, gain healthy lean muscle... don't think you need to binge on Mc donalds just keep working out and being healthy and you will gain more muscle mass.

• you just need to ingest more calories. Try adding these to your diet make up a batch and eat them before and after you run and like as a snack before bed link

my daughter had this problem last season she never got this thin but she loses probably 5-8lbs (on a very petite frame) during xc season every year. You gotta eat fattening stuff to keep weight on. shakes, eat butter on everything(my daughter actually dips her cherrios in butter instead of eating them with milk) drink whole milk with your cereal hell even half and half or heavy whipping cream as the milk, eat steaks/ribs ect.

you are training and a lot of runners look this way who run marathons and such but honestly I'd just add about 1000 more calories to your diet and you will look more healthy even if you are perfectly healthy the way you are it won't be as jarring.

• 1000? a day? That's a lot! That will be hard to do.

• depends on what you eat...a couple of donuts add up trust me lol

• Have you ever heard of marathon runners eating a ton of pancakes or waffles before they run? They do this because of the amount of carbs that are needed for running. You burn a lot of energy while runing.